Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 20, 2015   #16
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie1856 View Post
well I was hoping someone would bring that up, this is why I am experimenting with this, see i was spoiled by a farmer out in Ohio, he showed my how to get 250 lbs of tomatoes per plant, when he came out here for a visit he looked at the soil, he told me i would never get it out here, no matter what i do, then I quit gardening for a long time, it was the past 2 years i started up again, and quite by accident I found out the better way for me was to garden was in pot's, now i found out the other day I am using horse manure witch is low in (K) and low in (P) and High in (N) but most of it is hay and straw, I needed to give the plant's a quick boost because of where I live, on top of a mountain and we are 10 deg's colder than down in town, I did add to the soil bone meal to boost the (P) by 0-18-0 now that my roots have a good foot hold I am taking out the calcium nitrate and i will be running the 4-18-38 only once a week, see the fertilizer master blend from what i see it is not a solid for hydroponics, you have to make it that way by adding the magnesium sulphate that makes it a good hydroponics because master blend is missing the root conditioner to prevent root rot as for the (K) being 38 now back to the manure you can read this link where i found out what is in manure http://www.homegrownfun.com/how-to-u...ken-horse-cow/ i am not to worried about the (k) yet and i will be posting my results.
Well, I will be very interested in hearing the results. It's not cheap when you have to have it shipped (which I did) I have used it twice now on my pots, but did not add as much calcium nitrate. I calculate I brought it up to about 10 N. May try it at 19 next time. Afraid of over doing it. But I just read that Akmark, who has some great plants just switched to the 4-18-38 along with CN & MS. Here is the link: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...219#post474219

It appears she is saying she is feeding them each time she waters which is twice a day. I don't know what strength she is doing that at but it seems very excessive, but she is the pro - not me. Must be using an injector system into the water. Will need to try and get some clarification on that.

I thought you mentioned SWC in your initial post, but the blue pot in your photo doesn't appear self watering. Or did I just misinterpret something.

Last edited by schill93; May 20, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote