Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 5, 2015   #1
TBoneJack
Tomatovillian™

Default When and How Much to Water?

This is my first year growing tomatoes. I have 6 different heirloom varieties in 15-gallon Smart Pots. I used Pro Mix BX and Tomato Tone fertilizer.

With my indoor herbs, I water when the pot feels "light", because my herbs love a wet/dry cycle. But with these tomatoes, I have no idea.

They are doing great. I'm just guessing on when and how much to water.

Any help is appreciated.
TBoneJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I water when I can't feel much moisture by sticking my index finger in the media. Right before wilt begins is what I try for.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

...still learning too with these pots. Recently over watered and they for sure let me know. Right now the top 2 inches are pretty dry and just under that nicely damp. Been watering lightly ever since, just aiming to keep that top 2 inches moist after it dries out. It was suggested to me by a gracious member to use bamboo skewers and stick them in the soil like dip-sticks...and although the top two inches are dry, 8-9 inches down is still moist. For sure a learning curve here. They will need a 'good' watering at some point...just haven't nailed that down yet. You can bet my water will be loaded with fertilizer on that watering.
-
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Fabric pots work awesome for tomatoes. Pro Mix BX and the Smart Pots together give you a very forgiving combo so don't stress, you'll get great tomatoes.

I've found they breathe a fair amount from the top, so they tend to dry top down and from the outer edges inward, with the lower 30% of the mix relatively moist pretty much all the time.

If you keep them mulched moisture loss seems to be distributed a little more evenly. They'lll tell you when they're thirsty with a light wilt.

15 gallons with no mulch you'll have to give them sips every 48 hrs or so, maybe even shorter intervals.

Pretty soon you'll find the right amount of water so that very little, if any at all, leaches out the bottom.

Most of mine are in 25 gallons, and they seem to like it.

Cheers.

Last edited by Gerardo; June 5, 2015 at 09:18 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #5
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Came home to some wilt today...they all got a drink. Mostly the new growing ends wilted...Do they recover?
Old June 5, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

oh yeah, easily. But if you let them dry out too much when they have fruit, you will get the dreaded blossom end rot.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #7
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, hit the 90s today...Think its mulch time!
Old June 7, 2015   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Here in NC, when the temps hit the high 80s plus, I water twice a day.
Once in the morning, and once late afternoon.
As I use potting mix, and the pots have good drainage, there's no concern of "over-watering" as the extra will just flow out.
The bigger the plants get, the more water they will need, so you may have to adjust as the season progresses.
As already mentioned, keep consistent with the watering to avoid BER. Added Calcium or sprays will not make up for poor growing conditions.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote