Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 22, 2015   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default need quick advice

we have really bad storms coming around 11:00 am and around 3 pm today and maybe more tonight damaging hail and winds, was thinking of covering the plants with plastic bags, to protect from the hail, but thinking the high winds might tip them all over if I put the bags on , they might act like a sail. I can't move them because I have them all joined together because last year they would get so big a little wind would tip them over. any thoughts on what to do? thanks-----tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (195.1 KB, 57 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Put sheets/blankets (Bed covers) over them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Move them under cover
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #4
encore
Tomatovillian™

can't really move them, the buckets are all screwed together, and really no cover around. lol
Old June 22, 2015   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Cover them individually with fabric or floating row cover/cut up a sheet and staple it around the cages. If you have high winds you might make a sail effect and blow them all over. Fabric would allow some of the wind through and reduce the damage on the plant as opposed to smashing up against the plant with plastic.
Old June 22, 2015   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Unscrew them and move them. Its really the only way to protect them without building some type of roof for them in a hurry.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #7
encore
Tomatovillian™

I'm hoping they won't get too much wind, storms are coming from the north west and plants are in back yard in the south east corner. hoping the house blocks most of it, was thinking of covering them with kitchen trash bags over the wooden stakes and covering the top half of the plants anyways just incase it does hail a lot.
Old June 22, 2015   #8
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

The way they are attached to each other, I don't see them tipping over even with trash bags. I hope it works out okay.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #9
encore
Tomatovillian™

thanks everyone! so far so good, storm should be over soon, no hail anyways , that's a plus, now if the sun comes out after this round we'll probably get a worse one around 7 they say, hope that doesn't happen.--tom