Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2015   #16
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Oooooh, you have the whole collection
If I had unlimited space, I would happily grow out the Chinese seeds to see what they give... perhaps next year, at least a few. 20 seeds in the packet...
Wonder if any of them are actual known heirlooms, or just some commercial varieties (nothing wrong with that, just misleading)..
That's a stock photo--I only have 3 or 4 of them! I'm growing 3 of them--the yellow with the red bottom, the small dwarf plant with red fruit, and one not pictured, a yellow multi-colored that looks like an elongated Green Zebra but mostly yellow w/green stripes. I also have one of the black tomatoes that looks like a large cherry, and I did order that one in the separate pic but they screwed the that one up and sent me one of the black cherries. Ironically, that missing one was called "No Solution Tomato!" Out of about 70 varieties started, the Yellow Red Bottom is my thickest, tallest transplant.

I, too, wonder if any are knock-offs of known varieties. The Mini REd Gem looks a bit like Micro Tom, and some look like Black Cherry & Green Zebra. The No Solution looks like Copia/Summer Cider or whatever that pink striped one is called.

I also got a "Blue" variety from a different vendor called "Darkest tomato." LOL.

Last edited by korney19; June 23, 2015 at 01:22 AM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #17
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Bottom row, third one in from the left is an eggplant, I'm sure everyone noticed.

But not to worry since Mark has offered to grow all that are shown, even the ones labeled MELONS, and definitively ID them for all of us.

Carolyn
HaHa! Yes, I noticed that eggplant too, and there are many I would grow to ID/compare, but I must use judgment deciding what to grow with limited space. For example, I ordered "Purple Garlic Chive" and upon closer scrutiny (seeing the pack in my hand!) they are labeled as LEEKS! To my knowledge, leeks are biennials and garlic chives are perennials, and the front of the pack says Leek but the back says Perennial herb.

Doing a search on Allium tuberosum rotti:

Allium tuberosum is an Asian species of onion native to the Himalayas (Nepal, Bhutan, India) and to the Chinese Province of Shanxi. It is cultivated in many places and naturalized in scattered locations around the world.[1][4]
The species is commonly known as garlic chives, Chinese chives, Oriental garlic, Chinese leek, also known by the Chinese name kow choi[5]

BUT, further down the page:

Allium tuberosum is one of several Allium species known as wild onion and/or wild garlic that in various parts of the world are listed as noxious weeds[10] or as "high impact environmental or agricultural" weeds.[11]
Allium tuberosum is currently reported to be found growing wild in scattered locations in the United States. (Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Alabama, Iowa, Arkansas, Nebraska and Wisconsin)[10][12][13] However, it is believed to be more widespread in North America because of availability of seeds and seedlings of this species as an exotic herb and because of its high aggressiveness. This species is also widespread across much of mainland Europe.[14]

So, I didn't plant any...

I hope I didn't waste my $0.86 USD including shipping!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57 (1).JPG (116.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by korney19; June 23, 2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old June 23, 2015   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, LOL!!!
Looking forward to the results & end of the season reports...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
That's a stock photo--I only have 3 or 4 of them! I'm growing 3 of them--the yellow with the red bottom, the small dwarf plant with red fruit, and one not pictured, a yellow multi-colored that looks like an elongated Green Zebra but mostly yellow w/green stripes. I also have one of the black tomatoes that looks like a large cherry, and I did order that one in the separate pic but they screwed the that one up and sent me one of the black cherries. Ironically, that missing one was called "No Solution Tomato!" Out of about 70 varieties started, the Yellow Red Bottom is my thickest, tallest transplant.

I, too, wonder if any are knock-offs of known varieties. The Mini REd Gem looks a bit like Micro Tom, and some look like Black Cherry & Green Zebra. The No Solution looks like Copia/Summer Cider or whatever that pink striped one is called.

I also got a "Blue" variety from a different vendor called "Darkest tomato." LOL.

Mine simply says 'Tomato Mix'. The other options have names of known heirlooms, but also titles I never saw anywhere else... for example 'Mini Purple' is something I've only seen from Chinese sellers on eBay, Amazon and other vendor sites.
and 'Tang Colorful Tomato'
Old June 28, 2015   #20
korney19

This is the most INFAMOUS one, and ironically, they call it.... CHEROKEE PURPLE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg China-CherokeePurple.jpg (50.3 KB, 46 views)
Old June 28, 2015   #21
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Mine simply says 'Tomato Mix'. The other options have names of known heirlooms, but also titles I never saw anywhere else... for example 'Mini Purple' is something I've only seen from Chinese sellers on eBay, Amazon and other vendor sites.
and 'Tang Colorful Tomato'
Here's a mix called Tomato Family, Mix Color, and Tang Colorful...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg China-TomatoFamilyC096.JPG (42.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg China-MixColor.jpg (26.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg China-TangColorful.jpg (29.5 KB, 47 views)
Old June 28, 2015   #22
korney19

Does anybody recognize these Seed Savers Exchange numbers?

Red Center Orange (SSE TO-635B)
Big Yellow Red Center (SSE TO-667)

I'm not an SSE member and didn't find anything doing a search... are they #s thru their public catalog or something else? I assume the TO stands for Tomato...
Old June 29, 2015   #23
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yeps, I got the one on the upper right ... Mix Color.
Some of the fruits look like Tiger series from Artisan tomatoes...
if I have space next year, I'll grow out a few and see what abominations I shall get Will they be tomatoes, or perhaps melons...?
Old June 29, 2015   #24
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This is the most INFAMOUS one, and ironically, they call it.... CHEROKEE PURPLE!
This one, B37, I had that 2 years ago, along with other chinese tomato C55. And I am growing B37 this year - I've found saved seeds so that means that it performed better in my garden. As I can remember it had quite tough skin.. And the taste was nothing special, BUT it was not the best tomato year either. Man that gave me the seeds liked it a lot. I have at least 3 plants so I will know if its stable or a hybrid..
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does anybody recognize these Seed Savers Exchange numbers?

I'm not an SSE member and didn't find anything doing a search... are they #s thru their public catalog or something else? I assume the TO stands for Tomato...
Mark, there is no listing by # of SSE varieties that I' aware of that can be seen by all SSE members, especially the listed members, Tomatoes new to them are given those numbers in the sequence in which they arrived as new ones SSE listed

The only time I see them is when someone has requested a variety that SSE itself has listed in the SSE Yearbooks or in a listing for a variety where someone cites one.

Just giving one example at random from the 2000 SSE Yearbook that happens to be atop one of the piles of Yearbooks to my left on the floor.

Two people are listing the variety Segler and Glenn Drowns says his seeds came from IL SE J in 83, I could look up that SSE code in the front of the Yearbook under the state of IL so I did and it's not listed, so I assume he's passed away but the SE part is probably Segler, the originator of the variety.

The second person is from OR, and says he got it from FL ST G, and I know that's Gary Staley, who got it from IL SE J in 82 and cites SSE TOMATO 1699'

It does help to have a succession of transfer given in case something went wrong as in a X pollination/ mutation, etc.

Perhaps there is an SSE listing of accession numbers, so if it's really important to you why don't you contact them since we as members have no access to them and really no need to have access.

Carolyn
Old June 29, 2015   #26
korney19

tHAnks Carolyn. I was hoping somebody knew these because I'm not even sure if the names' words are in the right order! Is it Red Center Orange or Orange Red Center?

Here's what I found on SSE TO-635B:

It was donated to TGRC by David Cavagnaro; accession date was 1989, as 2790, and "other" identification was SSE To-635B, with this cultivar name:

Orange, Red Ctr.

That comma, if correctly placed, should make it Red Center Orange.

ALSO:

Comments: Bicolor variant: orange with red center ("Ponderosa")

I've grown a lot of bi-colors but can count the orange w/red bi-colors I've grown on one finger--Mom's, which I got from Neil.

So I'm assuming it's a large bi-color from Ponderosa... BUT, David Cavagnaro also donated the other one in question, SSE-TO-667! Everything else was similar, except "Comments: Bicolor variant with big yellow, red centered fruit. "

He also donated Verna Orange, which Charlie's place gave consecutive LA #s by the way (2970/71/72.) I always thought Verna Orange was, well, orange, but TGRC listed it as a Bi-color AND orange, which doesn't sound right:

"Comments: Bicolor variant: orange oxheart"

Back to the orange red center from Ponderosa, I don't recall any orange Ponderosa but red, or yellow/gold.

Ironically, all 3 list traits of obscuravenosa (obv+) (Leaf veins appear clear with back lighting due to absence of chloroplasts in epidermal cells beneath veins; Foliage color: olive, brown, or blue-green,) as well as the self-pruning (sp+) gene and the uniform (u+) ripening gene... BUT none of the 3 list the yellow flesh gene! I just realized this now while double-checking genes. Could this just be an oversight? on 3 accessions?

So anyway, I was hoping someone here grew these or knew more about them, including proper names. Thanks again.
Old September 15, 2015   #27
korney19

Quote:
Has anybody grown these or have any info about them?

VFN Hi Sugar
Wonder of the Earth
Legenda Tarasenka (Legend of Tarasenka?)
Jack's Giant Oxheart
Small Yellow Red Bottom (China)
Yellow Multi-colored
Santa Cruz/Santa Cruz B/Santa Cruz Gigante
Lutescent Potato Leaf Dwarf

Any info/help is greatly appreciated.
Getting ripe ones of most now, will start posting pics soon...