Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 11, 2015   #16
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

The Dwarf Tomato project put out a purple heart as well. Dwarf Purple Heart. Any idea if it would cook up well like the BBH mentioned above?

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #17
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have never had Black Plum. I do have, for next year, Purple Russian and Black Icicle. There is also Darth Mater, which I have not yet grown.

The icicle cherries also come in orange, yellow, and pink. I'm thinking they would all make decent sauce, but I have not tried it yet.

I have a ton of seeds for Prune Verte, a green plum from France. It would make an unusual sauce.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #18
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Black plum should be in everyone's garden, it is lovely and prolific variety. Not sure about paste, it is salad type grape shaped tomato. Adding to sauce -meh, unless you have a way to remove all the skin. I eat it most or use for salad. There are bigger varieties darks for sauces IMHO. Cole, Purple Russian is great big plum, grows well for me.
Next year I am planning on growing Black Moor, which Tania thinks similar to Black Plum, but Doublehelixfarms has picture that is a bit different as Steve sells both...
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #19
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I made a big batch of sauce from Japanese Black Trifeles this year that turned out fantastic. I'll be planting more in 2016 to make more black tomato sauce.

My notes: More watery than paste tomatoes. Worth the extra time simmering for the excellent flavor. I used a mill to remove seeds and skin. (Eating them fresh they have more seeds than my San Marzanos did). Grow lots more.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote