Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 13, 2015   #31
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Mark, Check out Danko-I think it may be a det. red heart. Many hearts are too
mild for our taste but I remember liking Danko very much. Darlene
Tania has it listed as mid season red determinate, which is exactly what i am looking for. How was the yield ?

Thanks,

Mark
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #32
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I was always happy with the production. However, I grow tall indeterminates in soil with crw cages-they get huge. Danko was always started
very early, grown in plastic kitty litter pails in order to get extra early tomatoes.
When main season tomatoes produced, Danko was discarded so I didn't have to
constantly water so I don't have a great feel for full season production. Hope
someone else weighs in on production.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Mark, Check out Danko-I think it may be a det. red heart. Many hearts are too
mild for our taste but I remember liking Danko very much. Darlene
It is a det red heart which I absolutely love, my seeds originally from Andrey in Belarus as I recall and we both first listed in the 2008 SSE Yearbook and I've grown it since then for SSE listings in the past and for seed offers made here and there.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Carolyn, who just saw that she didn't speak to yield, which I consider outstanding, but her priority always has been and will be taste and when the two are both great, well that's a winner.
Old September 13, 2015   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Carolyn, Yes the Cross I made was between Ludmilla's pink heart and Captain Lucky. I have deliberately selected only PL plants from F2 onward and now all of the progeny I have are Potato leaf. At F3 the majority are big blunt hearts various colours, my favourite being a bicolour heart I am calling midnight sun. Early for a big tomato. Quite pleased with them so far but some beefsteaks have shown up in the F3 although a couple of those are really good too.
I want to stabilize them before I send out seed but once I have something I thin is pretty much stable, Tomatoville friends who wish to try it I will gladly give seed to.
My next project is a fancy PL cherry. A cross I did this year hoping for a bicolour or a fabulous black in the F2. time will tell

KarenO
About the fancy PL cherry project.

I'm so old that when I was growing many hundreds of plants and varieties each year no SSE friends or homegrowers I knew ever did any crossing at all, so it never occurred to me to do so.

And now I read of the many varieties that folks here are breeding and wish I had, but am physically unable to do so.

BUT, just looking at the 10 varieties that are out there in containers in the backyard that Freda was supposed to take care of. but didn't, I could mess around with them, I think, to come up with something interesting such as:

Zluta Kytice( yellow multiflora) X Liz Birt ( dark), to get some multifloras with different colors.

Verde Claro ( clear epi GWR) X Blush ( multi striped oval), to meld Verde's exc taste for me, with Blush stripes and ex taste.

Lithuanian Crested Pink ( heart with very acute tapering)X Yoder's Red Beefsteak ( super taste), just want to

Now two itty bitty ones b'c it amuses me

Iva's Red Berry X Russian Mini-Yellow

Yoder's Red Beefsteak (large, superb taste) X Istra ( large red flat beef, different fluted shape, super taste) or Dester, to get who knows what

One can dream, right, so here's my dream, and spoiler alert since I was going to link to the movie version of this song but then found THE most popular version of it was by Jim Nabors, that's right, Gomer Pyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KeGccP9Jk

While fetching the above I played several by Jim Nabors and I could not believe, did not know, he had such a wonderful voice.

So it looks like I'm going have to depend on folks such as Karen, Bill Jeffers, Paddy, Jason, Dono, Chris,and so many more to keep me happy, since my dream for myself when it comes to doing some crosses really is an Impossible Dream.

Carolyn
Old September 13, 2015   #35
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
. . . While fetching the above I played several by Jim Nabors and I could not believe, did not know, he had such a wonderful voice. . . .
Anyone who hasn't watched all the Andy Griffith Mayberry episodes has missed a lot. Griffith had his BA in music, taught music in high school for a few years after graduation, had contemplated becoming a minister, then decided his talents were in other areas, but incorporated music into all the series he controlled, and wasn't going to miss a bet like Jim Nabors -- several episodes featured 'Gomer' suddenly switching from his comedic character voice to sing and astonish the fairly large share of the US TV audience that were regular Mayberry viewers.

Nabors recorded many albums, including quite a few that were hymns/gospel, if I recall correctly -- probably most still available on CD via Amazon (or other source you prefer, but Amazon is a good place to see what exists, anyway).

Regarding your impossible dream . . . might be something to consider for your 2016 seed offer to have a section, kind of like your 'experimental' section, where a choice is not one variety, but a seed-pair you'd like to see crossed. If a number of people were trying the cross, you might get more interesting results than you could have gotten doing it alone in days of yore?
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #36
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mark, I was always happy with the production. However, I grow tall indeterminates in soil with crw cages-they get huge. Danko was always started
very early, grown in plastic kitty litter pails in order to get extra early tomatoes.
When main season tomatoes produced, Danko was discarded so I didn't have to
constantly water so I don't have a great feel for full season production. Hope
someone else weighs in on production.

Great, its on my must have list for 2016.

Thanks,

Mark
Old September 14, 2015   #37
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
It is a det red heart which I absolutely love, my seeds originally from Andrey in Belarus as I recall and we both first listed in the 2008 SSE Yearbook and I've grown it since then for SSE listings in the past and for seed offers made here and there.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Carolyn, who just saw that she didn't speak to yield, which I consider outstanding, but her priority always has been and will be taste and when the two are both great, well that's a winner.
Thanks Carolyn. I am really excited that Danko could potentially replace the various determinate pastes (Tomate perita) as a production tomato for canning. Its a huge tradition for the whole family to process a mountain of paste tomatoes for sauce. Might take a few years to get people to try it but i have neighbour that is open to trial anything. Foot in the door opportunity.
Old September 14, 2015   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Anyone who hasn't watched all the Andy Griffith Mayberry episodes has missed a lot. Griffith had his BA in music, taught music in high school for a few years after graduation, had contemplated becoming a minister, then decided his talents were in other areas, but incorporated music into all the series he controlled, and wasn't going to miss a bet like Jim Nabors -- several episodes featured 'Gomer' suddenly switching from his comedic character voice to sing and astonish the fairly large share of the US TV audience that were regular Mayberry viewers.

Nabors recorded many albums, including quite a few that were hymns/gospel, if I recall correctly -- probably most still available on CD via Amazon (or other source you prefer, but Amazon is a good place to see what exists, anyway).

Regarding your impossible dream . . . might be something to consider for your 2016 seed offer to have a section, kind of like your 'experimental' section, where a choice is not one variety, but a seed-pair you'd like to see crossed. If a number of people were trying the cross, you might get more interesting results than you could have gotten doing it alone in days of yore?
Thanks so much for the info about Jim Nabors. I guess I wasn't a Mayberry viewer back then and I also found out he had his own show separate from Mayberry, And I will go back and listen to more of his U tube ones, I remember one was the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

That last paragraph about my impossible dream and you suggesting crosses for that experimental section, and not being limited to just the ones in my backyard now is something for me to consider. It wouldn't be until the Jan 2016 offer since I would have to provide the seeds to any participants and I want to see what my seed producers come up with this season first in terms of new ones not yet known so thos persons could get a twofer, as it were.

Carolyn
Old September 14, 2015   #39
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Carolyn, would a wheelchair help you around the garden? Or one of those walkers with a seat? Or one of those small motorized chair/cart things?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #40
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I like the idea of that category for your seed offer Carolyn, it would be interesting to see what you would choose to cross.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Carolyn, would a wheelchair help you around the garden? Or one of those walkers with a seat? Or one of those small motorized chair/cart things?
Deborah, there have been a couple of threads about that here before, and making it short, no, nothing works that will be able to get me out to the backyard.

Access to the backyard is via a sliding door from the back room and two steps down and when it was built the steps are not wide enough to place my walker legs.

I have a fancy 4 rubber wheeled one in the garage with handbrakes and a seat, but the ground it too uneven to get around to the backyard.

So that's the way it is and will be.

Carolyn
Old September 15, 2015   #42
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Maybe have someone level the ground? Build a ramp and take out the steps?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #43
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Nicky Crain is excellent. Large. Meaty. Very few seeds. Productive. Good disease resistance.

Orange Minsk. Outstanding flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Productivity ok to low in my hands. Did I mention the flavor???

Danko. Tough little plant. Lots and lots of flowers on big trusses, great fruit set. Med sized hearts with very good flavor. Gives you a bunch and then fizzles out, as any determinate/semi-determinate should. Staggered planting gives you tomatoes all season long.

Last edited by Gerardo; October 22, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote