Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 21, 2015   #31
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I ended up going to the local "Hometown Shopko" and picking up a few packs of the beading mini bags (2" x 3"). Same price as Walmart (1.99 for 100 ct) but (literally) a ten minute walk from my house.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #32
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
You're not alone.

I'll let you know, the static electricity caused by those 2 x 3 plastic baggies is a magnet for cat hair (a "freebie" I got in a trade).
Everything I own is a magnet for cat hair. The white and orange cat sleeps on my dark towels and the three black cats prefer my white comforter or light couch. *sigh*
I should invest in lint roller stock.

Good thing they're cute.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #33
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I found one of those binders with plastic sleeves at a book sale, but I never got around to OCDing all the varieties. It seemed like a good idea, but it occurred to me that as soon as I'd put all the varieties in their sleeves, I'd get another variety or three and have to rearrange the whole shebang.

I actually just went this route, but purchased the binders and plastic sleeves (trading card pages) from Amazon. The little plastic zip locks slip right into the sleeves.

I have a binder for pastes, one for eating tomatoes separated by early/mid/late season, one for peppers divided by hot/sweet, and one divided up for herbs/greens/misc. vegetables.

What I did with the tomatoes and peppers is leave one empty sleeve between varieties and two empty sleeves between each letter of the alphabet. This should hold me through at least two more round of MMMMs...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #34
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

My seeds are in three ring binders as well, though not well organized. I don't have a *huge* collection of seeds, so it isn't a problem for me to find what I'm looking for. I'll probably have to pseudo-organize them a bit better after this year's MMMM. I printed out "cards" to go in the front of the pocket telling me the variety name, type/color of fruit, growth habit, and early/mid/late season. Each seed packet has the name and year of collection.

I'm storing older seeds in a large accordion folder, in case the fresh seeds are not pure/correct. This is my first year using this method, and so far it's working better than the shoe box I had everything in...
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I keep mine in binders and card collectors sleeves. It works for paper, plastic, and homemade stuff, but I have to fold most of the store bought seed packs. If I ever buy tomato seeds from Baker Creek - I might just staple those to the wall (Huge packs) - j/k I wouldn't staple them to the wall.

I'm not sold on this method yet, but it works. I like leaving seed packs as I get them because I like the individuality about them. Even if it means I have to figure out the origami butterfly that the seeds are somewhere hiding in.

I think it might be important to keep seeds stored in a controlled environment. I've read that some keep their seeds in near vault conditions and others left them on the dash of their 67 Chevy truck for years. I keep our seeds inside a night table in an air conditioned environment. That's just the way I choose to store them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I think it might be important to keep seeds stored in a controlled environment. I've read that some keep their seeds in near vault conditions and others left them on the dash of their 67 Chevy truck for years. I keep our seeds inside a night table in an air conditioned environment. That's just the way I choose to store them.
Salt who ever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about.

It has to be 1966 or earlier.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015   #37
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lol, I am a 65 product, but I fell for a 67 model.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015   #38
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Had to adapt as the Seed collection grew

I started out with 3 Ring binders with clear whole page poaches ...

and put various seed packets and collected pouches ....Grouped into my groupings in various pages ....notes and extra details were written on
category divider made of lite card stock between each seed group / area.

as things progressed to more out of hand ....

I have a Bulk collections in large Mylar Bags / with metallic reflective coatings

so dark cool and some air circulation (not sealed ).

I have My collections In small quantities ...but high # varieties ...kept in

Modified CD storage book units from the " Dollar store " .......

I really dig this system as these units are $2.00 Cdn dollars each

they have 12 pages of of double sided x 2 pouches = 48 cells and each of the 48

cells easily can hold 2 or 3 types of seed pouches .....easy to view (about 100 seed varieties ) .........

I like these pouches as one could put in seeds from seed houses ....plastic mini pouches ... coin envelopes etc.

The CD containers Books have a rugged material Bicoloured outside and the whole thing has a Zipper that zips the whole thing closed nice and neat .

This year I organized some seeds into a shelf,box easy to see

the books come in Red , dark Blue , forest green , light blue , Black , Grey

Buy one of each @ about $12 and this can organize about 600 small samples /packets varieties.

or double it at $24 with 2 of each colour and organize 1200 ...etc.

It doesn't match the Svalbard Global Seed Vault....but it is a start ...LOL

Don't forget to check into some free seed database software ......

to help you find those seeds you "organized"....

methinks there are some references to some at this site .