Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 1, 2016   #421
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

yes, please let us know what you already have in abundance, so we don't flood you with the very same.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #422
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tormato - I think it would be nice to have a category for a patio/small scale gardener. I only have a small patio. So the only tomatoes I can really get given the limited sun I have is cherries, and saladette size tomatoes. When I've grown large tomatoes I would get maybe 2-3 off the plant by the time the season was done Would you consider one with a mix of cherries, saladettes, dwarves and maybe one super early large tomato?
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #423
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Gardeninglee,

I would recommend that you check out "compacts," "micro's" and "dwarfs". Many compacts can grow in 3 gallon pots, micro's can grow in even smaller containers such as 1 gallon or less (great for growing on windowsills in the winter!) Dwarfs from the dwarf project can be happy in 5 gallon containers.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #424
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
Hi Tormato - I think it would be nice to have a category for a patio/small scale gardener. I only have a small patio. So the only tomatoes I can really get given the limited sun I have is cherries, and saladette size tomatoes. When I've grown large tomatoes I would get maybe 2-3 off the plant by the time the season was done Would you consider one with a mix of cherries, saladettes, dwarves and maybe one super early large tomato?
A patio/small scale gardener likely doesn't need to participate in the "categories" part of the swap.

Swap "rules" (there really aren't any) will likely be like last year, with three sizes of wish lists.

A wish list of 10-15 varieties, also participating in a large amount of categories, expecting 100+ varieties back.

A wish list of about 20-25 varieties, participating in several categories, expecting about 75 varieties back.

A wish list of 30-35 varieties, participating in 0-2 categories, expecting about 50 (or requesting less) varieties back.

A wish list can be for specific named varieties, and also can be for specific types of tomatoes.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #425
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tormato - I didn't realize there was another piece to the swap.

So just to make sure I understand, if I choose this option:

A wish list of 30-35 varieties, participating in 0-2 categories, expecting about 50 (or requesting less) varieties back.

I put together a wish list of 30-35 varieties of tomatoes that I would like, e.g. 1) stupice, 2) mortgage lifter, 3) and on until I reach 30? Then do I send in 30 packets of the same tomato seed?
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #426
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The bottom line is that you'll typically get more back than you sent!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #427
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

oh god yes!
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #428
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah one swap will normally get you more than you could plant for several years.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #429
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I put together a wish list of 30-35 varieties of tomatoes that I would like, e.g. 1) stupice, 2) mortgage lifter, 3) and on until I reach 30? Then do I send in 30 packets of the same tomato seed?
You send in what you'd like to send in.

Some people have huge collections (100's to 1,000's of varieties), others have modest collections, others are just starting out. This swap has what's known as enabl...I mean sponsors, for those that have no or very few seeds.

There will be a "Master Wish List" posted at about the deadline for sending in seeds. This list will have all varieties requested by all participants. If you see varieties that you have that are on the wish list, hopefully you send them in.

A start on that list is here...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=203

When you mail your seeds, a paper copy of your wish list should be included.

RULE #1 - WISH LISTS SHOULD BE WRITTEN VERTICALLY IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER, NUMBERED AS TO MOST WANTED (#1) TO LEAST WANTED.

A small example...

2. Aunt Ginny's Purple
1. Brandywine Sudduth
6. Carbon Copy
9. Dester
5. Earl's Faux
3. Indigo Cherry Drops
4. KBX
7. Marglobe
10. Reisetomate
8. Zogola

(11.) any patio/container varieties
Old June 7, 2016   #430
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

There are several parts to the swap.

Tomatoes - Wish Lists
- Categories (mystery part)
- Bonuses

Peppers

Other veggie and flower seed (bonuses only)
Old June 7, 2016   #431
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Yeah one swap will normally get you more than you could plant for several years.
Quantify "normally", with the realization that this is Tomatoville.
Old June 8, 2016   #432
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Just one more note to those new to this glorious event - please do not send any seeds that were saved from plants that are diseased to the swap. Many diseases are seed born and will likely be transmitted without appropriate treatment to the seed itself. Some are very hard, if not impossible to eradicate from the soil once introduced. Please ask if there is any possibility of a disease issue before saving these for the swap!

We want to keep this a safe/fun/exciting time that we all look forward to (well except maybe for the person that actually counts the seeds out) .

Also, if there's any chance you aren't sure of the variety, label it appropriately as mystery. Dumped trays, faded labels, wrong seeds to begin with - we have all been there. A ten foot cherry instead of a dwarf beefsteak. Is there still a mystery category ? It may be an option for community/school gardens, etc.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #433
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I intend to grow about 10-15 Czech F1 hybrids next year. From each bought a bag I will use 2-3 seeds. Some seed I will send JRGlew and the remaining would like to send to MMM Swap. Missing me there F1 category.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #434
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Ooh! Just read about the annual seed swap. I'm a new Tomatovillian growing seven sauce/paste types (Black Plum, Amish Paste, San Marzano, Napoli, Roma, Rio Grande, and Costoluto Genovese). My other heirlooms/OPs include Abe Lincoln, Siberian, German Striped, Red Grape, Dwarf Adelaide Festival, and my old-timey favorite, Marglobe, grown from seed from last year's humongous plant that I nicknamed "Cthulhu." I learned how to save seeds last year -- my husband is a chemist, and the seed-fermentation process is the only part of tomato-growing he enjoys. The seeds had a 100% germination rate.

If this newbie would welcome to join the fun, I'll tell my husband to break out his fanciest beakers.

I could also plan to save seeds from the green tomatillo plants I'm growing, and/or the ground cherries, if anyone's interested. Both seem to be attracting more bees than the tomatoes...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #435
braybright

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
I could also plan to save seeds from the green tomatillo plants I'm growing, and/or the ground cherries, if anyone's interested. Both seem to be attracting more bees than the tomatoes...
Unless you are wanting cross-pollinated seed, the bees not visiting your tomatoes is probably a good thing!