Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2016   #451
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Vladimir,

The reason there is no F1 category (yet), is because there is little request for hybrids other than for SunGold F1, Big Beef F1, and just a couple of others. If about 10 people each sent in a different F1 there could be an F1 category.

There are a few T'ville members who create there own (non-commercial) F1 crosses, who participate in the swap. Perhaps there could be a combined commercial/non-commercial F1 category?
I'll happily send in some Sweet Million seeds (still have plenty), it's a hybrid worth growing
Not looking for hybrid varieties in return, except that famous Big Beef that everyone here is talking about, and, the good-looking Brandy Boy, and , and, and...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #452
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm going to look locally and see if there are still some Big Beef, Early Girl, Celebrity, Jet Star, etc. seeds for sale. If so, I might be able to contribute to the MMMM - Maybe not 10 seeds per pack, but some.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #453
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Vladimir,

The reason there is no F1 category (yet), is because there is little request for hybrids other than for SunGold F1, Big Beef F1, and just a couple of others. If about 10 people each sent in a different F1 there could be an F1 category.

There are a few T'ville members who create there own (non-commercial) F1 crosses, who participate in the swap. Perhaps there could be a combined commercial/non-commercial F1 category?
Steve, thanks for your response.
I actually do not want any hybrid seeds. This year I grow Burple's Big Boy, Better Boy, Best Boy, Steak Sandwitch, Park´s Whooper, Bush Goliath and Big Beef. Next year I'll grow from them only one or two varieties (which proves to me best).
I wanted to send the Czech hybrid varieties someone who would want to really try out them and report me how in his condition proved successful. I guess I'll deal with this offer otherwise than through MMMM.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #454
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I wanted to send the Czech hybrid varieties someone who would want to really try out them and report me how in his condition proved successful. I guess I'll deal with this offer otherwise than through MMMM.
Vladimír
Like Vlado, I have lots of hybrid seeds I am willing to share. NarnianGarden, I have both Big Beef F1 and Brandy Boy F1 I am happy to send you.

Folks should look at the SEMO catalogue to understand what Vladimír will be offering - there are some truly excellent CZ hybrids. TORO F1 certainly is an interesting hybrid of Stupické parentage.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #455
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm posting an outline of categories for the next swap. Comments are welcome.

Beefsteak

Black - could use more varieties than the fairly common ones usually sent in

Blue - same comment as Black

Cherry/Grape/Currant

Determinate/Dwarf (mostly Dwarf Project)/Micro-Dwarf

Eastern European

Experimental - (non-commercial) F1's, F2's, etc...

Giant - 3 lb+ potential, there may not be very many varieties sent in

Green - same comment as Black

Heart

Hot Weather

Italian - same comment as Black, or this may have to combined with the Paste/Canner category

Knock-Your-Socks-Off

Oldies But Goodies - older varieties that are rarely seen/talked about anymore

Paste/Canner

Pink

Red

Striped

Very Early - 55 DTM or less

Yellow/Gold/Orange/Bi-color/Tri-color/White

and

*Cool Weather - maybe not enough demand for a category

*Novelty - maybe not enough varieties or demand for a category
I'm glad I found out about the MMMM early enough to save seeds for this year, (but late enough not to feel left out for 2015).

I was wondering if you've ever done a Potato Leaf category? I know that would really overlap most of the other categories, but I'm becoming very fond of my PL girls this year and want to try more.

Thanks again to Tormato for such a generous and joy-spreading project.

Sean

Last edited by M.SeanF.; June 11, 2016 at 08:21 PM.
M.SeanF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #456
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Like Vlado, I have lots of hybrid seeds I am willing to share. NarnianGarden, I have both Big Beef F1 and Brandy Boy F1 I am happy to send you.

Folks should look at the SEMO catalogue to understand what Vladimír will be offering - there are some truly excellent CZ hybrids. TORO F1 certainly is an interesting hybrid of Stupické parentage.
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I'll wait until the MMM swap

Agree that the Eastern European varieties should be more widely known, not just the usual suspects (American, British and Japanese).
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #457
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post

Where can we find the SEMO catalogue?
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #458
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

How about a Spanish category? This year, or wait another year?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #459
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
Where can we find the SEMO catalogue?

http://www.semo.cz/
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #460
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
Here you go http://www.semo.cz/profien/index.php?assortment
Old June 13, 2016   #461
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How about a Spanish category? This year, or wait another year?
I would really love a Spanish category. But I won't be able to send in any Spanish types this year. Many of my seedlings died while I was called away on a work trip.

I collect a lot of Spanish types and would like to share, but not until next year.

But, I do have Spanish peppers and beans growing this year.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #462
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
I would really love a Spanish category. But I won't be able to send in any Spanish types this year. Many of my seedlings died while I was called away on a work trip.

I collect a lot of Spanish types and would like to share, but not until next year.

But, I do have Spanish peppers and beans growing this year.
If all goes well, I'll probably be able to help with a few from Spain. When compared to the Soviet bloc ones, Iberians seem mighty finicky and often drown before fording the stream.

Really looking forward to De Colgar types.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #463
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
If all goes well, I'll probably be able to help with a few from Spain. When compared to the Soviet bloc ones, Iberians seem mighty finicky and often drown before fording the stream.

Really looking forward to De Colgar types.

Me too. They are so neat. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Hope it goes well on your end. It would be really really fun to see more post on Spanish types.

I'd have to agree with you, it was sad seeing them pass on my end. My other seedlings came out fine.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #464
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

kcsun: ill give a detailed blow by blow on spain.

on the standard mmmm front, got some great germination on 100 pudov

very little info on the flavor of this one. anyone have an opinion? have 8 little guys and am wondering how many I should keep.

tormato: saving seeds on most of the eastern european ones, per instructions.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #465
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I need help on how to mark a couple of packages. I have three Blue Ambrosia (pumpkin variant) plants. I know they are experimental still. Two are producing like on the sites pic, round, but the third plant. Oh my! Never seen a tomato that looked like it. It looks like a square pear shape on steroids. The fruits look like small size Bartlett pears and they start out with squarish sides.

I'll put them in different baggies to send in, but wonder what I should write on the outside of the package. Soon as they get fully turned I show you pics of both.

The other question I have is I have three Chocolate Cherry plants. They were all grown at same time, everything the same and they next to each other, but each plant has different size fruits on it from what looks normal to larger. How do I mark those or should I just put all in the same baggy?

I have a question about Klukva v. Sahare. I couldn't find much info on it and the one site I did find it said that the fruit was a tiny currant. Mine are not currants. They nice size small cherry. Are they supposed to be a currant or a cherry.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote