Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2016   #121
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashermike View Post
Unfortunately this plant is in a bed that is infected with fusarium wilt. Eventually it will probably kill it. I intend to get seed early on this one.
Too bad. Keep track of how well it holds up compared to the other varieties in the same bed.

I like the small beefsteak. Hope it tastes good and we can get bigger fruits eventually.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #122
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I would be happy to send you some seed. You do realize that these are not stable and that we are growing lots hoping to find something exceptional in growth habit, production and flavor, don't you? Any other unique characteristic we find - different color, shape, etc. - is a bonus.

Hopefully, we will end up with several different varieties that folks can grow in small pots that are worth growing.

If you are teaching plant genetics, I could send you an F1 to grow or some F2 seeds. You could have them see the multiplicity of different growth characteristics that can come from a single cross of two different varieties, i.e., 1 in 4 potato leaf - 1 in 4 dwarf - 1 in 4 multiflora, etc.

Or I could send you some I have already selected that are micro multiflora and you could grow them looking for the best flavor and production. That is mostly what we have reported here so far.

However, I have more different crosses than I could possibly follow up on, so I'd be happy to let some others take a particular F1 cross, save their own F2 seed and do the micro hunt and the multiflora hunt themselves. It is actually quite interesting and fun to do.

PM me with additional information as to what you would like to do and we'll figure something out that will work.
PM sent. Thank you.
Old June 22, 2016   #123
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Just got the seeds and sowed 4 of the 13x. Crossing my fingers that I'll have the same luck as some on here.
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #124
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Dan, in your first post you said something like potential to be larger and I had a picture in my mind of an elderly man holding a de colgar multiflora with HUGE fruits. and it's taken me and hour to find it,so ya'll better enjoy looking at it,posted byIlex

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658&page=4

Post # 47

I just got about 20 new varieties from Ilex,via SSE Yearbook, and mentioned to him about the one in post #47, and there were 3 deColgar ones sent but I don't yet know if any of them were like the one in the picture, or smilar.

In the last year or so I have become very interested in Spanish varieties b/c there are now a few in Spain who are sourcing large family ones, GWRipe ones and so much more. Vladimir's thread with his Spanish Project last year was also an eye opener for me as well.

When the Spanish took tomato seeds from Mexico they spread them to several places, but especially Portugal and Spain,which back then were not two separate countries.

So by mutation and X pollination they have more time than elsewhere to develop the biological diversity that's now being seen.

I was VERY impressed with that picture in post#47.

Carolyn
I, as well as my friend in EUR, believe that guy in post 47 is cheatin' with his right hand! She said he has more than one cluster in his right hand! LOL

By the way, why aren't any of his maters ripe? Was it an early frost harvest? A really late last frosr?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #125
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I, as well as my friend in EUR, believe that guy in post 47 is cheatin' with his right hand! She said he has more than one cluster in his right hand! LOL

By the way, why aren't any of his maters ripe? Was it an early frost harvest? A really late last frosr?
Mark, what the elderly man is holding is a de Colgar type and they are used for storage after being harvested half ripe. They are hung from rafters in a cool place and do ripen up over time. Ilex had showed pictures of same but right now I have no time to find those pictures.

The short name for the one being shown is Ribera,it's quite rare, and I'm glad Ilex was able to send me seeds for it, and it's out for seed production this summer by my now 7 seed producers and should appear in my next seed offer and two plants of it are being grown here at home for me, of the 17, but not for major seed production.

Carolyn
Old June 22, 2016   #126
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mark, what the elderly man is holding is a de Colgar type and they are used for storage after being harvested half ripe. They are hung from rafters in a cool place and do ripen up over time. Ilex had showed pictures of same but right now I have no time to find those pictures.

The short name for the one being shown is Ribera,it's quite rare, and I'm glad Ilex was able to send me seeds for it, and it's out for seed production this summer by my now 7 seed producers and should appear in my next seed offer and two plants of it are being grown here at home for me, of the 17, but not for major seed production.

Carolyn
Glad you are you back, Carolyn.
Old June 22, 2016   #127
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

I wanted to double check, with the project should we save seeds from the F3 generation if only we find a plant that is really special in some aspect (mainly flavor). So far we've tried some from 2 of the 5 11xF3 plants, and we will try more before determining anything definitive, the first two are good tasty tomatoes but nothing remarkable, in that 7.0ish category (the two are definitely different, one is more acidic and has thicker skin, and a touch smaller). Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #128
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Dan,

I wanted to double check, with the project should we save seeds from the F3 generation if only we find a plant that is really special in some aspect (mainly flavor). So far we've tried some from 2 of the 5 11xF3 plants, and we will try more before determining anything definitive, the first two are good tasty tomatoes but nothing remarkable, in that 7.0ish category (the two are definitely different, one is more acidic and has thicker skin, and a touch smaller). Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Justin
Yes we are on the same page.

I couldn't have said it better. We are looking for something special - and flavor is at the top of the list. I think there will be lots of folks who want to grow a really productive Dwarf or micro - but they won't grow it a second time if the taste isn't there. I have grown a lot of different micros recently and have not found many worth growing a second time.
Old June 23, 2016   #129
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

cross fingers, I checked my plants last night and I also have baby beefsteak shaped fruit on 1 of the 13xf3-2 also. Can't wait to see what happens over the course of my vacation.
Old June 23, 2016   #130
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

First ripe 11X-F3-6 .... 83 days from seedling. This plant is probably too tall (28") but it's productive as you can see. Resistance to known fusarium wilt is good so far.

Texture is a bit meaty/mealy for my taste but I may have pulled early. Taste is a 7, comparable to the early Big Beefs. We'll see if they improve over time.

I give it high marks in appearance (fruit color/size), productivity and resistance. Taste ... jury is still out. Let me know if I left something out.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160622_11X-F3-6.jpg (164.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20160623_11X-F3-6a.jpg (31.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 20160623_11X-F3-6b.jpg (38.2 KB, 167 views)
mashermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #131
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashermike View Post
First ripe 11X-F3-6 .... 83 days from seedling. This plant is probably too tall (28") but it's productive as you can see. Resistance to known fusarium wilt is good so far.

Texture is a bit meaty/mealy for my taste but I may have pulled early. Taste is a 7, comparable to the early Big Beefs. We'll see if they improve over time.

I give it high marks in appearance (fruit color/size), productivity and resistance. Taste ... jury is still out. Let me know if I left something out.

Mike
It is certainly not a 'micro', but it is definitely on the smaller side of the dwarfs, which is something I was hoping to find. I hope the taste improves or shows up in the others.
Old June 24, 2016   #132
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

19xF1 babies. I'll let them get a start of a second set of true leaves and then pluck one into a permanent container for F2 seed production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (211.3 KB, 151 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #133
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

I just realized I didn't answer your question about this plant's growth habit. It was pretty tree like, about 10-12 inches tall. That was when it was in a cut off milk jug so probably only half a gallon size pot. It was definitely compact but a little sparse. That might have been because it was very difficult to keep it watered properly. Once I repotted it after I realized how good the fruit was, it shot up to be about 23 inches tall. In the picture it was about as tall as the level of the lowest tomato before I repotted it. All the growth above that has been since then. It also seems to be having some more growth on the stem below the tomatoes, so maybe it will get more bushy. I would think it is indeterminate, with all the new growth. Definitely multiflora, though few fruit set, possibly due to stress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1466814891006.jpg (104.7 KB, 149 views)
Old June 24, 2016   #134
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:

Carolyn
Are you saying it has the unripening gene, like Giraffe?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #135
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Are you saying it has the unripening gene, like Giraffe?
No, I'm not saying it has either the nor or rin genes. I think I remember Ilex once saying that the de colgar ones have the alc gene and here's some info on that gene.

First,the Google search

https://www.google.com/#q=tomato+gene+alc&hl=en

And now a specific article from the above

http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/...4/352.full.pdf

Carolyn