Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 19, 2016   #226
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Not a gardening update but a life update because this is my thread and I've already shared plenty of personal info in here so what's one more thing?

I lost my job of 5 years yesterday. The company merged with another company last year, and the company they merged with has expressed concern for a few months that my department in Austin (we're spread between California, Texas, Michigan, New York, and others) was too large (at 4 people?!) and we were let go yesterday afternoon. I cried a lot. I've cried a lot today too. I know crying doesn't fix anything but I'm a crier. We were just starting to get back on our feet and my credit was just starting to recover since my husband was unemployed for 8 months last year and earlier this year, and now this. I know it's not the end of the world, but it feels like it.

In better news, I've already talk with TWC and I may be eligible for unemployment benefits at 70% of my previous pay. My final checks from the job should come to me within the next month and I had 90+ hours of vacation that will be paid out as well. My boss offered to write me a letter of recommendation and said I can use him as a reference, and my coworkers are happy to be used as references as well. I applied for two jobs last night on LinkedIn and am updating my actual resume today. I'm trying very hard to find some optimism and not dwell on these distraught feelings because I know no good will come of it. Trying to keep busy and be productive around the house to help my husband out.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2016   #227
salix
Tomatovillian™

I am so sorry to hear this news, Kelly. Hope that something comes of your new job applications, and that you will be back at work soon. Am a believer that when one door closes another one opens, even if we may not immediately recognize the new doorway. Keeping good thoughts for you and yours.
Old October 20, 2016   #228
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Best wishes to you as you pursue new opportunities. Aggressive job seeking should prove fruitful.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2016   #229
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sad to hear this.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #230
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Hey y'all! No big garden plans for this year since I don't want to move plants, but I wanted to provide an update for anyone who might be wondering about me since I've been gone a while.

Well, a few updates.

First, it took long enough but I was finally granted unemployment compensation in December. It helped tremendously with our financial struggles.

Second, I got a new job almost exactly a month ago at a small software company writing documentation for their software. I'm making more now than I did before and I love my job and coworkers!

Third, we're still moving to that house I told y'all about wayyyyyy back. We'll move in August 1st, and we'll rent from my FIL and SMIL (stepmother-in-law) for a year or two at half of what we offered to pay them, they want us to take care of our debt and replenish our savings as soon as possible and this will be a humongous help. We will likely buy the house from them after that time has passed.

Fourth, we finally got a second car! We had to, since I now work in the opposite direction from my husband's workplace (we used to work for the same company). It's my FIL's old car, so nothing too fancy (2006 Buick LaCrosse), but it gets the job done and is a good car with a smooth ride.

In not-so-great news, my aunt who I talked about in another thread over in 2 Cents (where this stuff probably belongs but oh well) has been in palliative care for the past 9 months after suffering a stroke at home and being found three days later. She enters into hospice care tomorrow after all these months of showing little to no improvement and her quality of life deteriorating. I won't go into all the details, but she currently cannot support herself to sit up, cannot walk, talks only occasionally, and has had a feeding tube to try to get more nutrients in her. I've been involved in the family discussions regarding her future and this is the best and most humane option for her at this point.

In happier news, my mom has officially been sober for 9 months and our relationship has drastically improved! I won't go into details about that either, y'all just be happy for her.

I also participated in the Warm Up America Crochet Challenge again this year, sorry for not posting about it here like I did the first time around. This time the challenge was to crochet a baby blanket to go home with a newborn from Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

I'm sure there are other things to update with, but that's all I can think of for now! Sorry for such a long absence, it was not planned!
Old March 14, 2017   #231
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear from you, Kelly. Writing software docs was how I got started lo! about a half century ago. Play your cards right and you could turn out like me! (Well, minus the facial hair.)

You know the new house will force its own garden in time..

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #232
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Good to hear from you, Kelly. Writing software docs was how I got started lo! about a half century ago. Play your cards right and you could turn out like me! (Well, minus the facial hair.)

You know the new house will force its own garden in time..
You never know, I could end up sprouting a beard one of these days! I love technical writing, though, it's what I've been doing the past four years but never for software until now (used to work for a mortgage bank writing their policies and procedures).

And yes, we've already been talking about what we want to plant at the house. FIL cleared out the two willow trees that were dying and/or dead in the back yard, so that leaves a lot of space we need to fill and shade we need to restore. I can't wait! Might even plant a few things for a fall garden, just depends on how soon we get settled.
Old March 14, 2017   #233
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Welcome back Kelly. I'm glad you got a job and better paying one at that.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #234
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Welcome back Kelly. I'm glad you got a job and better paying one at that.
Glad to be back, Robert! Me too!
Old March 14, 2017   #235
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

For a little more positivity, here's a cute little bat I finished crocheting tonight for my friend whose birthday was today! She loves bats and purple, so I think I've got my bases covered!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 642168822129038692-account_id=3.jpg (525.2 KB, 81 views)
Old March 15, 2017   #236
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Love the bat.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #237
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Love the bat.

Worth
Thank you, I do too!
Old March 16, 2017   #238
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Here's the floorplan for the house we're moving into in August, just because I'm so excited about it and have to share haha. It's got all the optional features, but Bedroom 2 has a window that's not shown and the garage doesn't have a side door, also there's a covered front porch spanning the width of the front of the house. For scale, that main hallway is 30 feet long. I can't wait to move and have a yard to garden in again!
Attached Images
File Type: png floorplan.png (194.4 KB, 56 views)
Old March 16, 2017   #239
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

I love that it has an entryway. We looked at so many houses the front door opened directly into the living room which I dislike.Looks big!
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #240
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

That's a mansion compared to my house! Congratulations on both the new house and the new job.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote