Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 2, 2012   #31
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

OK, hopping over to the other thread !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #32
Kunfayakun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetgardener View Post
Sakura F1 from Enza Zaden. Best tasting, best disease resistance, best productivity, bar none. Available from Johnny's selected seeds. A must try.
Is sakura better than favorita in terms of yield taste and looks? And there is also a big difference between the seed prices of both.
Kunfayakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #33
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Sakura. Great vigour. Absolutely incredible long trusses. I have seen my fare share of impressive trusses growing hybrid cherries, but these are mostly mono trusses about a meter long, with very big cherries. It's more cocktail than cherry tbh, it's larger than black cherry for example.
The taste however fell short for me. A bit too much on the sweet side without all that much flavour.
No idea about favorita. They both seem rather old hybrids (sakura is about 20 years), I'm pretty sure there should be much better tasting new varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #34
Kunfayakun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I have grown Sakura. Great vigour. Absolutely incredible long trusses. I have seen my fare share of impressive trusses growing hybrid cherries, but these are mostly mono trusses about a meter long, with very big cherries. It's more cocktail than cherry tbh, it's larger than black cherry for example.
The taste however fell short for me. A bit too much on the sweet side without all that much flavour.
No idea about favorita. They both seem rather old hybrids (sakura is about 20 years), I'm pretty sure there should be much better tasting new varieties.
Big cherries won't be suitable since i'm looking for a cherry tomato for the market. Favorita is a smaller cherry tomato which is grown by many commercial greenhouses. But these are definitely older varieties and i should find some latest ones which should be better tasting and out producing these older varieties. I've checked some latest varieties but most of them cost more than $1 per seed. Do you have info about the latest cherry tomatoes?
Kunfayakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #35
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Favorita F1 for a couple of years. Vigorous healthy plant, productive. Taste was not bad, not really remarkable from other red cherries, so they won't be grown again.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #36
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have made actually a big trial of cherry/grapes a few years ago.
Favourite for taste was Sungrape, which is a small grape (8-10 grams), that grows on abnormally high plants (vining, with weak stems and large internodes), with a fairly small amount of fruit per truss. In other words the production was lousy. Great aggressive taste, with high acidity and probably quite high sweetness.
For your needs probably Tomatoberry would fit best. It is a slightly larger grape type (about 20 grams, in the beginning even more) but has great production, looks awesome, good shelf life, good texture, thin skin, doesn't crack. I personally found the taste to be pretty gosh darnoodley good, but on forums I see people less hot about it, not sure why. It's more balanced to me, less aggressive but good.

If you want to go more pro, the dutch nowadays grow mostly Swetelle (Syngenta) and Sunstream (Enza), both massive producers. I prefer Swetelle. Sunstream has high lycopene, matte fruit, that is very sweet and sour at the same time and seems to be the bomb in trials, more and more I see it in supermarkets.
As you can see I talk mostly about grapes (actually only about them), that's the hot new thing nowadays, usually due to less cracking, better shelf life that doesn't compromise taste.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #37
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I prefer grapes myself, for ease of eating and no cracking and taste. I do really like a few cherries, but they are not red, such as Black Cherry. I also like to have a range of colors in my grapes/cherries. But I find the grapes easier to grow and use in every color. I am trying Grapette, Golden Sweet as well as Black Cherry this year. But some people use Cherry to mean all small tomatoes, and include grapes in those. If you are only interested in the round red cherry, Sweet 100 and Supersweet have been my favorites.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote