Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2006   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default short seedlings, should I transplant?

I have two Riesenstraube seedlings that have their first set of true leaves, and are starting to put out their second set. They are only about 1 inch tall. Should I let them get two inches or just transplant them now?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on how successful you've been in the past with your transplanting.

The larger the seedling the better are the chances of a successful transplant.

That being said, I'll transplant seedlings as small as one inch/one set of true leaves, but water them in real well afterwards and keep them out of the lights for a day or two to let them settle in.

Too much light causes rapid transpiration ( loss of water thru the leaves) with such small plants before they can form enough rootlets to allow for good root uptake of water.
Old March 6, 2006   #3
geol
Tomatovillian™

Whenever I have had to separate a group of seedlings, I try to do so sooner than later, before the roots become too entangled. However, these usually span a wide range of sizes - from the largest , to some sprouts just emerging from the seed. Being mostly thumbs, and failing eyesight, I find the larger seedlings much easier, but all will transplant very successfully. I like to dump them out on a peice of newspaper, and using a spoon, gently "coax" them to fall apart. I try to pick them up by a leaf if needed, as the stem can bruise easily. I try not to handle tiny sprouts at all, but rather just scoop them up and "water" them in without much regard to orientation. Inevitably, there seems to always be a few late seed come along after the others are off and running.
How close together are your seedlings?
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

The seedlings are in different cells, and they are just short, that is all. Carolyn, do you remove them from light all together, or just take them out of direct light, off to the side of your lights?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just to the side, but it isn't all that critical as long as you've watered them well to compact the root system so it makes contact with the mix.
Old March 6, 2006   #6
geol
Tomatovillian™

Oh... In that case- never mind.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #7
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I got the cutest tool from Bountiful Gardens called a Dibber. Its like a gently creased (like a small trowel), blunt butterknife, and its stainless. I use it with more delicate seedlings (my mom used a spoon and I recently found her old seedling spoon in a basket on the porch). The dibber is a bit better for me, its wider and more clumsy-proof
good luck!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote