Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 30, 2017   #16
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I agree AnnaRussian can be really good. I've grown it for maybe
20yrs. My first great tomato love. Hit or miss depending on the
season but I always give it a chance. Hearts do well in my climate.

I also agree taste is subjective and human genes play a role.
Yet many varieties run a high percentage in agreed upon outcomes in flavor.
Proven by the many group 'tastings' all over that conclude the same sweet, tart,
acidic, fruity, savory, balanced, etc outcomes and descriptions.

And why a few are in many gardens, in all climates, different soil, have very
similar outcomes year after year. Can't really argue some of those
outcomes and percentages.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2017   #17
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I have no experience with these, but in my tomato investigations over the years, these have been described as quite sweet (not red or black, alas):

Elgin Pink (pink, large)
Momotaro F1 (pink, 6-7 oz)
Pale Perfect Purple (pink, 3-6 oz)
Virginia Sweets (red-gold bicolor, large)

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2017   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
Since the ask was for a red or black tomato that is sweet.. The first one that comes to mind, and is also one that is easy to find, and easy to grow. You might try Marglobe.
Yes, a sweet red or black was asked for and what you've seen in this thread to date are varieties of several colors being mentioned.

And you suggest Marglobe, yes red, one of many standard reds such as Bonny Best and others that we grew on the farm where I was raised. None of them were sweet for us on our farm and that was true for others as well..

The original Rutgers was first released in 1928 and re released in 1933. If you look in the SSE Yearbooks you can see many Rutgers listed, genes for this and that added, but still an OP.

Lettuce consider the following.

Do any of you know of a variety that is consistently all true black?I don't, I refer to them as pink/blacks and red/blacks,depending on what the epidermis color is.

What is the difference between a large or small pink variety and a red one?

Pink ones have a clear epidermis and red ones have a yellow epidermis.

What is the color of the interior?

For both of them it's red.

So why ask only for suggestions for red ones and not pink ones? It's the genes they have that's the issue here IMO.

Carolyn
Old December 2, 2017   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I can think of several red or dark cherry tomatoes that I consider sweet, even some large cherry or saladette sized, but no large-fruit varieties seem to taste as sweet to me. I wonder if that has something to do with the plant's limited ability to produce sugar being spread across a smaller volume of fruit? Just a guess.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2017   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Altajskij Urozajnij is a sweet red. Medium sized fruit at least. But the year I grew it outdoors in an inclement season, and it bore but a few much smaller fruit, they were ridiculously sweet and rich tasting. The year after, I gave it a primo spot in the greenhouse in a big container, where it produced a ton of fruit, still sweet but by no means the outstanding quality of the scant year.
They were still considered sweet though. (Official taster grew them the second year as well.)
I know you grew them Cole, and weren't impressed. What did yours taste like?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2017   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mine were decent, from what I remember. I tried that variety in the high tunnel, and it did ok. I just had other varieties do better.
Old December 3, 2017   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

About red or black varieties and which gf alleles are associated possibly with sweetness.

I finally remembered where I had this thread and I know many of you will learn more as I did when I first read it many years ago.

http://206.214.211.133/~tomatovl/showthread.php?t=25916

You'll also find that Cherokee Purple was not about a 100 yo variety that J.D Green gave to nctomatoman.

Carolyn
Old December 3, 2017   #23
Brightmeadow
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tasmanian Chocolate for the first time this year and shared some plants with friends. Everyone commented on its sweetness so you might want to try this one. I grew 16 varieties in 2017 and it was a real winner.
Brightmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2017   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Tasmanian Chocolate is a good pick. I did not think of that one, although I like it a lot. It is 1/2 Paul Robeson, which I've had be delicious, but at other times also late and low-yielding.
Old December 6, 2017   #25
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Kumato has never let us down.A commodity standard in garden,after years of growing them out.
I was just about to say this. One of the sweetest tomatoes, period. Pull a few seeds out of a grocery store Kumato and you are all set. There is some instabiity but every generation I have grown have been very, very sweet regardless of color. I am sure someone has stabilized Kumato as a medium, round black. My stabilized Kumato are pink. I can send seeds if you like.

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2017   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum315 View Post
I was just about to say this. One of the sweetest tomatoes, period. Pull a few seeds out of a grocery store Kumato and you are all set. There is some instabiity but every generation I have grown have been very, very sweet regardless of color. I am sure someone has stabilized Kumato as a medium, round black. My stabilized Kumato are pink. I can send seeds if you like.
Here is much more info about Kumato, especially noting the info about hybrid or not, color expected, etc.

First, the Google search with LOTS of interesting facts

https://www.google.com/search?q=Orig...&bih=815&dpr=1

And from the above the excellent article about the background of Kumato by Terry Tassone of the Secret Seed Cartel website.

http://tomatoaddict.blogspot.com/200...sso-bruno.html

I have seeds from Ilex,aka Paco, in Spain that are the original ones developed in Spain as noted in a link above..

The seeds are labelled Negro de Olmeda.

I hope the above helps especially for those who are interested in Kumato, etc.,

Carolyn
Old December 7, 2017   #27
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

I grew Violet Noir from Secret Seed Cartel and it was super sweet.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #28
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

You'll not get anything close in brix to sungold on a large tomato, that's just the reality. The sweetest black I have personally grown has been Rosella purple dwarf, it has been quite a bit sweeter than any other black. (I don't really like sweet)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2017   #29
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default I gots chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Here is much more info about Kumato, especially noting the info about hybrid or not, color expected, etc.

First, the Google search with LOTS of interesting facts

https://www.google.com/search?q=Orig...&bih=815&dpr=1

And from the above the excellent article about the background of Kumato by Terry Tassone of the Secret Seed Cartel website.

http://tomatoaddict.blogspot.com/200...sso-bruno.html

I have seeds from Ilex,aka Paco, in Spain that are the original ones developed in Spain as noted in a link above..

The seeds are labelled Negro de Olmeda.

I hope the above helps especially for those who are interested in Kumato, etc.,

Carolyn
If and when you release some of those.
I was lucky enuff to grow out the Canadian sourced Kumato years ago,finicky throughout its generations,fun,a real conversation starter and a great doorstop when needed(small thick skinned,lasts forever on shelf).
Old December 8, 2017   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If and when you release some of those.
I was lucky enuff to grow out the Canadian sourced Kumato years ago,finicky throughout its generations,fun,a real conversation starter and a great doorstop when needed(small thick skinned,lasts forever on shelf).
Release some of those?

I'm talking about Only Negro de Olmeda, and right now I don't know if I have any seeds left, don't remember which one of my seed producers selected it,so don't know about germination either.

Actually it sounds from what I typed above that I don't remember much of anything today.

Will check and get back to you via PM eventually.

Carolyn