Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 27, 2019   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post

You, and perhaps the Cookie Monster, would know where to find that thread.

I did a T'ville search for "Cookies", and came up blank.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Would that be culinary sage? I'm all set to gift away my only pack of seeds.

I could have used sage after the scalpel. I kept those cuts purposely open for many more days, as I still had to daily keep squeezing out more "stuff".

I'll have to figure out some way to have sage in the garden. My neighbor's cat has various uses for my garden. Number one, I don't mind when it lays down in a bed of black peppermint. I do mind when it does number two.
I planted culinary sage in the corner of one of my beds in May 2018. By November it was the only thing still green, so I left it when I mulched with a thick layer of shredded leaves. Came back with a vengeance this past summer and set the most beautiful purple flowers. It was again the last green plant alive in the garden last month, so I'm going to see if it survives through this winter.

I hope the wounds are healing!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Bees also seem to like the sage flowers, or they did here anyways. Sage is pretty enough to plant in the front or a flower bed, too.
Old December 27, 2019   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Would that be culinary sage? I'm all set to gift away my only pack of seeds.

I could have used sage after the scalpel. I kept those cuts purposely open for many more days, as I still had to daily keep squeezing out more "stuff".

I'll have to figure out some way to have sage in the garden. My neighbor's cat has various uses for my garden. Number one, I don't mind when it lays down in a bed of black peppermint. I do mind when it does number two.

Good ol culinary sage it is. It's a woody plant and a shrubby perennial - your cat visitor won't bother it once past the seedling stage.

@FathersDaughter the flowers are great, aren't they.
I have some in my garden that is at least 20 years old, so quite winter hardy, although like thyme it takes a beating in our worst years. It needs some cutting back of dead stems in late spring, as it's harder to tell before then which parts are alive. We have given them occasional major care - a paper mulch to take out weeds and mounded with compost, some branches pinned down so that they could also root. They seem well pleased to stay on.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019   #20
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You, and perhaps the Cookie Monster, would know where to find that thread.

I did a T'ville search for "Cookies", and came up blank.
When you're searching, scroll down at the bottom left. It seems to be set the last 100 days as default, but you can use the drop down window and change it to the beginning and it will show all the related threads back to the beginning of Tomatoville. Many of those I started don't usually show up unless you do that, because they haven't been active in years, since I no longer post recipes anymore.

And even I refer back to recipes from way back....including the cookies. I made over 20 different kinds as Christmas gifts this year. My biggest problem was narrowing down what favourites to include and which "newbies". lol

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer

Last edited by Zana; December 27, 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2019   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bower, good to know the sage may survive for years to come!

And to return to the original topic --

Lemon Sage Shortbread Cookies

Servings: 30 Source: Food52.com
INGREDIENTS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh sage, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

DIRECTIONS

Blend together first five ingredients in a food processor. Add sliced butter and process until dough comes together. Alternatively, mix ingredients with your hands. Knead until dough is pliable.

Divide the dough in half. Shape each dough piece into log about 2 inches in diameter. Chill until firm enough to slice, about 20-30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cut each dough log into 1/3 - 1/2-inch thick rounds. Place rounds on a large nonstick cookie sheet. Bake until cookies are golden, about 20-25 minutes. Notes: If you don't have nonstick sheet, line your regular baking sheet with parchment paper. Oven temperatures vary. Keep your eye on the cookies during the last 5-10 minutes of baking. Cool on racks.
Old December 27, 2019   #22
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks Bower, good to know the sage may survive for years to come!

And to return to the original topic --

Lemon Sage Shortbread Cookies

Servings: 30 Source: Food52.com
INGREDIENTS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh sage, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

DIRECTIONS

Blend together first five ingredients in a food processor. Add sliced butter and process until dough comes together. Alternatively, mix ingredients with your hands. Knead until dough is pliable.

Divide the dough in half. Shape each dough piece into log about 2 inches in diameter. Chill until firm enough to slice, about 20-30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cut each dough log into 1/3 - 1/2-inch thick rounds. Place rounds on a large nonstick cookie sheet. Bake until cookies are golden, about 20-25 minutes. Notes: If you don't have nonstick sheet, line your regular baking sheet with parchment paper. Oven temperatures vary. Keep your eye on the cookies during the last 5-10 minutes of baking. Cool on racks.

Yum, thanks Father'sDaughter. This recipe looks relish. Do you think it's possible to do with dried sage?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Good ol culinary sage it is. It's a woody plant and a shrubby perennial - your cat visitor won't bother it once past the seedling stage.

@FathersDaughter the flowers are great, aren't they.
I have some in my garden that is at least 20 years old, so quite winter hardy, although like thyme it takes a beating in our worst years. It needs some cutting back of dead stems in late spring, as it's harder to tell before then which parts are alive. We have given them occasional major care - a paper mulch to take out weeds and mounded with compost, some branches pinned down so that they could also root. They seem well pleased to stay on.

Getting it past the seedling stage can be the problem. Any freshly dug and raked smooth bed is an open invitation to this cat. In a small area I can crisscross tomato stakes on the ground to prevent destruction.

As for telling what part is dead or alive, it should be easy, but maybe time consuming. Start outward on a branch and prune. Examine the cambium layer for life. If none, continue inward.

And, Captain Hook is staying away from pruning shears for the moment.

Last edited by Tormato; December 28, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old December 28, 2019   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

@Captain Hook... good call!
@FD, oh wow... that has been clipped for my recipe book!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried it yet, but does sound delicious. And seeing that I seem to have an abundance of sage... I have a lot of dried whole sage leaves that I may take a pair of scissors to and try making them this winter. If I do, I'll report back on how they came out with dry sage.

I start sage seeds indoors in mid-February and have a pretty decent-sized seedling to plant out by May. In the past I grew it in pots and it never came back so I would have to start over each year. I'm so glad I decided to put it in the ground in 2018!
Old December 28, 2019   #26
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Double Chocolate Cookies

These are dynamite and were the favorite when I used to take Christmas cookies to work. They still are because after I retired I still play "Cookie Santa" every Christmas, delivering cookies to several offices.

Double Chocolate Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (12 oz bag) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips

½ cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional but pecans or walnuts work well)

Heat oven to 350 F.

Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy.

Gradually add the flour mixture, beating well. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using).

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet or parchment paper lined sheet.

Bake 10 minutes or just until set. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and let cool completely.

Makes about 4-4 ½ dozen.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Those sound great! Got anything in a triple chocolate?
Old December 28, 2019   #28
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Lots of "Death by Chocolate" cookie recipes on google. Anyone a survivor of a chocoholic recipe?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019   #29
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Those sound great! Got anything in a triple chocolate?
I suppose you could poke a dark chocolate chunk (or white chocolate?) into the middle of each cookie before baking. Hmmm, chocolate lava?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019   #30
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Okay, here goes.
1. Gary, buy several tubes of Neosporin or the off-brand Triple Antibiotic Ointment, and a big box of large Band-Aids. Wash wounds. Slather with ointment. Repeat twice a day without fail. Every wound you ever get.

2. You really need these chocolate NO BAKE cookies:

Place in sauce pan- bring to boil:
1/2 cup oleo
2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
(1/4-1/2 cup peanut butter
is optional. I leave it out. But Chunky style gives you peanuts in your cookies...)

Remove from heat and gradually add 4 cups oatmeal.
Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper.
Recipe makes a lot but you will want to eat a lot of these.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote