Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2021   #46
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello,
I strongly believe that UK standards are pretty high. As I have a source of seeds in Britain, I have grown quite a few from there. Thompson and Suttons: Mountain Magic, Crimson Crush, Cocktail Crush, Tomato Berry. All of them are excellent toms and the first three are really late blight resistant, which was why I started with them. They're going to be the staple varieties in my garden this year again. Even more so than last year.

I've heard Suttons are launching or have already launched Crimson Plum, another lb resistant variety. Have you heard anything about it?

Yes, I also got seeds from the US, but not from the seller directly. They don't ship to the EU (probably because some complicated certification is required), so I had to get a contact person there and the letters slipped through. Have you ever received any seeds straight from a US official commercial supplier?

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2021   #47
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Wolf View Post
Ok, disclaimer before I go on...I have only grown plants from commercially available seeds, meaning mostly hybrids.

That said, my favorite for size and flavor last year was Super Beefsteak from Burpee. I can't remember what cherry tomatoes I had last year, but they were really good. I had Early Girls (I think) as well, was not impressed with the size nor number of tomatoes I got. Seems that they only grew slightly bigger than the cherry tomatoes, and didn't have a lot of flavor.

This year I'm putting in 2 varieties of beefsteak, SB and Porterhouse.

I love my red tomatoes, but after reading a lot of posts here, and thinking about it, I believe I'll try a heirloom or two in different colors next year. I'm not a fan of the flavor of most yellow tomatoes, but might try some purple/blue ones.
My recommendation is to start with Stump Of The World.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2021   #48
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
My recommendation is to start with Stump Of The World.
Yes that's one of my "grow every year" favorites !!!
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2021   #49
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Hello,
I strongly believe that UK standards are pretty high. As I have a source of seeds in Britain, I have grown quite a few from there. Thompson and Suttons: Mountain Magic, Crimson Crush, Cocktail Crush, Tomato Berry. All of them are excellent toms and the first three are really late blight resistant, which was why I started with them. They're going to be the staple varieties in my garden this year again. Even more so than last year.

I've heard Suttons are launching or have already launched Crimson Plum, another lb resistant variety. Have you heard anything about it?

Yes, I also got seeds from the US, but not from the seller directly. They don't ship to the EU (probably because some complicated certification is required), so I had to get a contact person there and the letters slipped through. Have you ever received any seeds straight from a US official commercial supplier?

Milan HP
I haven’t tried those myself but have heard good things about them!
Will have to try them for next year

I had an order from RFarms but that was end of last year, and am aware of a couple of people who’ve had successful orders with Baker Creek and Wild Boar Farms, but again not sure if it’s just that they have slipped through the net or wether it’s just ok? I assume the former though!
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2021   #50
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Me too.
It's really funny (tomato seed exchange and trade are only marginal) that politicians still believe they can "direct and control" our behavior. They call it "power". And reality is that they won't be able to in a million years. The covid pandemic proves it quite clearly. Cheers to people and their solidarity. But within reason.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2021   #51
Todd1700
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Beef

Quote:
but I will say that Big Beef is absolutely the best all-around tomato that I have ever grown. It's decently early, VERY PRODUCTIVE, and has great disease resistance. We can argue the nuances of "flavor", or "taste" all day long, but Big Beef is my "go-to" tomato every year.
I may not be the connoisseur of tomato flavor that some are but I have grown and ate them my whole life. And I have to say that for a hybrid I really like the flavor of Big Beef. For the last two years, in a garden with many varieties of tomato, it has produced my first ripe tomato of the season, my last tomato of the season, and the most tomatoes per plant of any full sized tomato in my garden. And for a plant that produces good numbers of tomatoes it also produces a nice sized tomato as well. I mean they aren't beefsteak size but most are big enough to be slicers for tomato sandwiches if you want.
Todd1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2021   #52
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had a whole bunch of solid 16-18 oz big beefs from the early trusses with plants at 2-3 stems each. Just boom boom boom they came. It was fairly dry and HOT, but also my first full year with drip tape under the black plastic mulch, so they got water when needed. A goal this year is for cuostralee and stump to match that this year, grown similarly. I did order more big beef seed as well since my 250 pack was about out, but I won't be growing as large a percentage of them. I also picked up so Estiva that I haven't grown for while. Need to can salsa this year and they are perfect for that.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote