Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 21, 2022   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well I finally got a hard enough frost to kill my bell peppers and tomatoes. It got down to into the upper 20s a couple of times but the last two times a week or so ago it stayed below freezing for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours two nights and most of the new growth and some of the fruits froze.

I pulled all of my tomatoes and picked all the decent fruit before the heavy frost and many green ones that didn't have freeze damage. I picked all the decent red and green bell peppers from the plants two days after. I ended up with about 8 gallons of each including a couple of tomatoes in the 1 1/2 lb size which is really freaky.

My wife and I canned 24 pints combined of salsa and marinara sauce yesterday. In all my years of gardening I have never had fresh tomatoes and peppers to preserve so late in the season. This was really an unusual year.

I also started my first seed for tomatoes and peppers for the next season this week.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2022   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Well I finally got a hard enough frost to kill my bell peppers and tomatoes. It got down to into the upper 20s a couple of times but the last two times a week or so ago it stayed below freezing for a minimum of 6 to 8 hours two nights and most of the new growth and some of the fruits froze.

I pulled all of my tomatoes and picked all the decent fruit before the heavy frost and many green ones that didn't have freeze damage. I picked all the decent red and green bell peppers from the plants two days after. I ended up with about 8 gallons of each including a couple of tomatoes in the 1 1/2 lb size which is really freaky.

My wife and I canned 24 pints combined of salsa and marinara sauce yesterday. In all my years of gardening I have never had fresh tomatoes and peppers to preserve so late in the season. This was really an unusual year.

I also started my first seed for tomatoes and peppers for the next season this week.

Bill
Yes, My Green house plants are doing great, but those outside tomatoes in 20s and thrown by the Storms said goodbye to weeks ago. But I am thankful that these tomatoes lasted after Christmas. My Dr. Carolyn'S Cherry Tomatoes just wanted to stay next to my farm, Amen!!. "But this was the First Time any tomatoes lasted to New Year's. Maybe that was a taste of Heaven
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote