Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 6, 2008   #1
KBSpokane
Tomatovillian™

Default Bottom Watering

I'm new to this site but not to starting almost everything I grow from seeds. I've been doing that for quite a few years and I've rarely had any problem with damping off etc. I am asking for some advice on bottom watering. I have always watered from the top using a fine sprinkler watering container. I put my cell packs in an open bottomed seed flat which is placed in a closed flat. I have always watered until water started coming out the bottom of the cell packs or 4in pots, or whatever. I have let the plants sit for a few minutes; and then I pour out all the remaining water. I water again when the potting soil looks dry on top. Today I tried bottom watering, but after 3 minutes the potting soil still looked just as dry. So.......how long should I let my open flats sit in water?? Sadly, at the moment I only have onion and leek seedlings growing, but next week I'll start some brassicas and next month I can start all my tomatoes and peppers. Oh boy! Kathy
KBSpokane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I let them sit until the top of the mix is damp. 3 minutes might not be long enough. Check the bottom tray to see if you need to add more water too. After the top of the mix looks damp and you have emptied the excess water out of the bottom tray, more water will drain from the saturated mix, so you might have to empty the bottom tray again a while later. Flats watered this way will not dry out very fast, so be careful not to water too often.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The method you are describing (top watering) is exactly what I did. Water, drain off any water after a minute or two, and let the soil dry out on top before re-watering. Actually, last time I did bottom water, so I guess I am trying both techniques.

9 days

16 days

21 days

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote