Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 22, 2011   #16
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Your Earthtainers look great I live 10 miles north west of Detroit. I am gonna wait until next weekend to plant out my Earthtainers due to the rainy forecast coming this week. Diseases love rainy humid weather >>>>>>>Talon
Old May 22, 2011   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

larry,

While last year, I planted 6 Pepper plants per 'Tainer - the conclusion is that this was just to crowded.

This Season, I am spacing out 4 per 'Tainer.

Come July, they will be ★★★-to-tea-kettle I am sure. For the PepperTainers, I use a single fertilizer strip down the middle, and use 2 Cups of Tomato-tone, which works great on Peppers as well.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #18
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Just to verify, you did soak the Combo Mix thoroughly as you were filling the 'Tainers - right?
Yes I soaked the mix every 2" just like you said to in your pdf. Thats one thing that made the 5G bucket so convenient, it seemed to be almost perfectly 2" of mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by les matzek View Post
i will bet you will see no difference in the growth or production by trying to make a magic mix by adding the above.
My goal wasn't to make a "magic mix," but just to buy less of the pricey Pro-Mix and still have excellent growth.

I inoculated my tomatoes with Great White Mycorrhizae yesterday. I also put some one my other container plants (blueberries, garlic, lettuce, herbs, eggplant, peppers).

It looks like the published Gurney's coupon expired on the 15th and I still need to buy pea fence for my 4 earthtainers. Do you guys expect another Gurney's coupon to pop up (seems like a common promo from them right?)?
Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #19
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pants,

Try this link. Verify up in the top banner ad it says "$25.00 off a $50.00 order". It does on my computer just now.

http://gurneys.com/default.asp?eid=0...FciA5QodNG4uPQ

Raybo
Old May 23, 2011   #20
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

That does work for me. I kept looking for the 25 off 50, 50 off 100, 100 off 200 deals. $25 off isn't bad though.
Old May 23, 2011   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pants,

If you need Pea Fences for 4 EarthTainers (or more) simply order 2 cage sets at a time (plus a $1.00 pack of seeds to get over the $50.00 minimum for the $25 off.

Then, simply repeat the process for cartons #3 and #4 with a new $51.00 order.....

Get the process?

Raybo
Old May 23, 2011   #22
Pants
Tomatovillian™

That is a good idea. Though i don't need to buy anything extra. the cages are $27.99. So the total for 2 with shipping after the discount is $42.93 x 2 will be $85.86. Much better than the ~$130 with out the discount.
Old May 23, 2011   #23
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pants,

When I order 2 "offers" at a time (plus the $1.00 seed pack to get over the $50.00 minimum), my total with shipping comes to $36.00 after the $25.00 discount.

Place the same identical order for cage pack #3 and #4 for a second $36.00. Now, my "math" could be off - - but doesn't that come to a grand total of $72.00 for all 4 cage systems???

Raybo
Old May 23, 2011   #24
Pants
Tomatovillian™

You must be seeing different prices (I know some vendors do that) because I see the price of each cage as $27.99. So 2 comes out to over $50 ($55.98). No need to add anything. The shipping costs $11.95 for 2. so the total is $42.93 with the $25 discount. Still not a bad price, but the difference in prices you are seeing seems odd.
Old May 23, 2011   #25
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pants,

You are correct. When I ordered mine (a total of 10 different times over the past 6 months), 2 "Offers" were priced at $24.90 per Offer. Shipping was $9.00. Now, there is no multiple unit discount off the $28.00 per Offer price.

In any event, getting $25.00 off with each multiple order is still a good deal.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; May 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old May 23, 2011   #26
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Ah I was convinced you were getting a special previous customer pricing or something. Sounds like they got wise to gardening forums giving out their coupon codes. Still $25 off isn't bad.
Old May 23, 2011   #27
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Together with "bdank" and her adaptation of the Gurney's Pea Fence to the EarthBox, and my use of it for the new EarthTainer III design, we MUST be driving the Inventory Management person at Gurney's NUTS!!!

At her post on the EarthBox Forum, people are upset that Gurney's is now constantly out of stock of this Pea Fence.

Funny stuff!!!

Raybo
Old May 24, 2011   #28
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Together with "bdank" and her adaptation of the Gurney's Pea Fence to the EarthBox, and my use of it for the new EarthTainer III design, we MUST be driving the Inventory Management person at Gurney's NUTS!!!

At her post on the EarthBox Forum, people are upset that Gurney's is now constantly out of stock of this Pea Fence.

Funny stuff!!!

Raybo

Great post Raybo ........... >>>>>> Talon
Old May 24, 2011   #29
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Talon,

Think of the poor S.O.B. at Lowes also trying to do Inventory Planning. I get so many emails from EarthTainer builders that Lowes has plenty of 14, 18 gallon RuggedTotes - - but are CONSTANTLY out of stock of the 31 gallon size!

Must be driving the person NUTS trying to figure out WHY!!!

Raybo
Old May 24, 2011   #30
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthtainer and Organics...

Is there any way to use regular soil mixed with vermeculite and coconut bark with cow dung and still get wicking? This adding of fertilizers troubles me somewhat on the consumption side... The wicking principle though is wonderful especially in the dry season to conserve water as I am off the grid and save 50,000 gallons of rain water for the dry season. Thanks!
Rainforest Tom is offline   Reply With Quote