Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 15, 2011   #1
drlarry
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthtainer III ready for Michigan

I've been growing tomatoes in large pots for about 10 years now with mixed results. Decided to give the Earthtainer III a try and will be building four this week and plan to stick close to the instructions for the first year. I'll be using Premier Pro-Mix BX and just need to find a few more supplies.

I've been unable to find E.B. Stone Sure Start in the Detroit area. Anyone know of a source or a good alternative?

I'm also trying to figure out how I'll measure out the Pro-Mix since it comes in compressed 3.8 cu.ft. bales and each container should be allocated roughly 2.7 cu.ft. I should have enough for my four Earthtainers, but don't want to run short.

Rnewste states six scoops of grow media plus one Perlite for each layer. Any thoughts on what size scoop works best?

Also, is the Earthtainer III designed to hold two tomato plants? The photo on the top of page 15 of the instructions shows the first transplant almost in the corner of the container, as if leaving room for more plants? Is it typical to transplant in the corners?

Any other Michiganders have your Earthtainers up and growing?
drlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

larry,

Congrats on taking the EarthTainer "plunge". If you have that many years with growing in ordinary pots - - prepared to be wow'ed with what you will experience in the EarthTainers.

Regarding the Starter Fertilizer, try to find Espoma Bio-tone or similar starter fertilizer. Look for ingredients including Mycorrhizae.

I think you will need more Pro-Mix BX. Including filling the wicking basket, you should budget about 3.2 cu. ft. per 'Tainer.

I use a decent size flour scoop to measure out the ingredients. The absolute size is not important - just consistent ratios are important. NOTE: If you can get pine Microbark, I would suggest you read the "Tweaks For Experts" Section of the Guide, and go for the 3:2:1 ratio for best results.

You can easily plant 2 heirloom tomato plants per 'Tainer, or 4 Pepper plants. Plant the 2 tomato plants in 6 inches from the handles. This will provide about 14 inches between the two plants for optimal growth.

Keep us updated with photos of your progress and feel free to PM me anytime if you have questions that are not addressed in the Guide. I am in the process of adding the 2 tomato plants per 'Tainer and the spacing in the next revision of the Guide.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #3
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Default Advice from a newbie

I just finished building and planting in my first 4 earthtainers ever! I used the mix ratio Raybo mentions in the "Tweaks for Experts" section of his guide 3:2:1 of Mix : pine bark fines : perlite.

I bought 2 bags of ProMix (drove an hour to get it at $50 only to find it a couple days later right around the corner for $30). Using Raybo's 3:2:1 mix I used less than 1 bag of the Promix. It is very light and fluffy and they really compact it down in those bags.

Since the ProMix is so pricey and pine bark fines are so cheap Raybo's expert tweak can really help save a few bucks.

I also couldn't find the E.B. Stone Sure Start here in Maryland so I used the Espoma Bio-tone that Raybo just mentioned. The Espoma products seem pretty easy to find here.

I used a 4 cup measuring cup from the kitchen and measured into a 5 Gallon bucket. I would do 3, 2, 1 of the components then mix together by hand and repeat. This would get the bucket full. Dumping this into the earthtainer gave a bit over the 2" that raybo suggests to fill it. Mixing 5 gallons at a time was a bit of a pain but that bucket was all I had. The ProMix is so compacted that it takes a long time to break it up and fill the cup. The majority of my time filling the earthtainers was spent just breaking up the promix while trying not to spill it all onto my deck. If you have space to open the whole bag (maybe a big drop cloth or tarp) that would seem to me to be the way to go. Then just mix components with a shovel.

I planted 2 tomato plants per earthtainer just as Raybo described. I did put different varieties together though so I am curious of Raybo's experience with having tomatoes cross. Do most people put two of the same plant in each to avoid this?
Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pants,

Great job!!!

Just to verify, you did soak the Combo Mix thoroughly as you were filling the 'Tainers - right?

Due to the proximity of the plants, there is a good probability you will get unintentional crosses - if you save seed. I use anklet pantyhose "feet" to put over a blossoming branch, if I want to save true seed.

Please keep us posted with photo progress throughout the Season.

Raybo

p.s. Also keep in mind for the first few weeks after transplanting, to top water each plant with about 1 pint of water, twice per week. This is necessary until the plant establishes a new root system extending down into the middle section of the 'Tainer. After this "jump start" for about 3 weeks, you can discontinue and everything will then be on "auto-pilot" from there on out.

Last edited by rnewste; May 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 21, 2011   #5
drlarry
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo,

I like the sound of the expert mix, both for the results and the cost benefit Pants pointed out. Currently my local HD has pine bark mulch that is about three times the size of the picture in the instructions. I'll check some other vendors.

Is the expert tweak still recommended if I'm not planting all Heirlooms?

I'll continue my Earthtainer construction today. No 3 5/8 hole saw. My tin snips have been working great.

For others still gathering supplies, the least expensive stainless tube (w/ shipping) I could find online was 44.19 at hobbypeople.net - they sell it in 12 inch sections and ship first class for $2.99.
Old May 21, 2011   #6
matereater
Tomatovillian™

drlarry, please let me know if you find any pine bark fine products in the Detroit area. I've looked at a number of stores and couldn't find anything close to whats in Ray's instructions.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The Pro-Mix folks did a study (search their website) and formulated Pro-Mix BRK with microbark approx 1/2" in size. I trust these folks know what they are doing and would rely on their research. Large bark chunks are not a substitute.

If Pro-Mix BX is carried locally, see if you can get the Pro-Mix BRK, and you're done (boost up the Perlite in a 6:1 ratio).

Raybo
Old May 22, 2011   #8
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

if you use pro mix brk or sun gro sunshine mix #4
or fox farm seed starting mix you can if you want
to try to make a magic mix by adding pine bark
fines and perlite i will bet you will see no difference
in the growth or production by trying to make a
magic mix by adding the above.
best of luck.

les
les matzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011   #9
drlarry
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

I found my pine bark mulch at Bordine's. Wasn't cheap, but costs a lot less than Pro-Mix BX! This was a very fine mulch.

Old May 22, 2011   #10
matereater
Tomatovillian™

thanks drlarry!!

Old May 22, 2011   #11
drlarry
Tomatovillian™

Finished off my four Earthtainers last night. With some 'tool issues' it took about five hours for the four of them. With a long 1/4 bit, I was able to drill all four aeration benches simultaneously. Even then, that was a LOT of holes Raybo!

For those who do not have a 3 5/8 hole saw, no need to consider getting one just for this project. It was very easy to cut out the wicking basket hole using tin snips. I didn't have a compass handy so I found a roll of tape slightly larger than the 3 5/8 diameter, then removed some tape to get it exact size for inscribing the circle. I drilled a 3/8 pilot hole then let the tin snips do the rest. I also found it was much easier cutting the lids with the snips.

My pea fence hasn't arrived from Gurneys yet, so my next step is filling the 'tainer and planting! I think I go browse the forum for some suggestions on container friendly varieties in Michigan.

Old May 22, 2011   #12
matereater
Tomatovillian™

looking good! Are you going to plant and set out as soon as you complete them? weather around here really sucks this year, lotsa rain and more forecasted for nearly every day next week. Good Luck!

Old May 22, 2011   #13
drlarry
Tomatovillian™

Steve,
My goal is to plant today. Earthtainer is self draining and all the top rain will be good for getting the roots started. Detroit should be frost safe by now, but I'll keep an eye on the temps.
Old May 22, 2011   #14
matereater
Tomatovillian™

From what I recall on weather reports this a.m. nite time temps will be in the 50's all week so you should be good to go. I'm putting most of mine in the garden, so I may wait till later in the week to avoid the possibility of the plants drowning from all the forecasted rains.

Old May 22, 2011   #15
drlarry
Tomatovillian™

Just picked up my seedlings. Decided to put peppers in one of the Earthtainers. Is a different fertilizer recommended for peppers? Six per container, correct?

I also purchased grape tomato plants. Are cherry tomatoes still planted two per container? Or, is three or four the way to go?