Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2006   #16
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

The right full name for this tomato is Gruntovij Gribovskij 1180 (or Gruntovy Gribovsky 1180 as I used to call it because there is one letter in Russian "ы" which is very hard to translate in English). It was bred by the famous Gribovskya Vegetable Selection Experimental Station one of the first Soviet (Russian) breeding organizations founded in the small village Gribovo (Moscow region) in 1920 by the statement of Soviet goverment (signed by Lenin). Most of first Soviet (Russian) vegetable varieties were bred by them and they highly used word "Gribovskij" or "Gribovskaya" in names of their varieties.
Gribovskya Vegetable Selection Experimental Station has been trasformed to VNIISSOK (Soviet Scientific Reseach Institute of Vegetable Selection and Seedbreeding) in 1971 and renamed Russian Scientific Reseach Institute of Vegetable Selection and Seedbreeding (but still VNIISSOK) in 1992 after the collapse of USSR.

Gruntovij Gribovskij 1180 tomato - early (50-60 days after transplanting), red, determinate, RL, round fruits of 60-80 g in open ground and about 100 g (up to 150 g on the first cluster) in greenhouse, height 40-50 cm (up to 1 m in greenhouse). This is a standart variety for Russian early tomatoes still widely distributed by many Russian seed companies. Cold tolerant (- 2 C). Better for salads than for canning.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-Thanks for the information, I am looking forward to growing this variety.
Old February 27, 2006   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

At least the Gribovskiij part is right and if we take the Greentovyj part and take out the two "e's" and put in a "u" we then have Gruntovyj, which is what you say it should be Andrey.

No doubt,as you indicated, yet another translation induced problem.

But for those who have grown it I wouldn't say that it comes as a 50-60 day variety as grown here, but the prolific part is certainly right.

And it certainly was not a determinate as grown by either Bill Minkey with a different source, or for me where in my initial blurb I did make the comment that it was a HUGE plant back when I first listed it in 1994.

Bill says a four ft plant, but I know he grows all of his by sprawling, so take that 4 ft as you will.

So once again we see perhaps a difference as you've noted with indet and det versions of the same variety on your own list. I think it was Russian Bogatyr that came in both plant habits as well as some others that I'm not remembering right now. Perhaps Leningradski Big as well., I just can't remember and would have to look.

Carolyn, who forgot to tell you Andrey, that your list came thru just fine as sent by e-mail with the link that I couldn't open here but could with that link. So thanks.
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, Carolyn.

That's why my goal for the next few weeks is to esteblish 2 columns for variety names: one in original language and written in latin letters and the second with it's English translation.

I don't think either you or Bill grew the real Gruntovij Gribovskiy 1180. It is determinate for sure and one of the first to be ripe. 50-60 days without any doubts. I think you both grew wrong variety. There is no indet. strain of Gruntovij Gribovskij 1180, because it was specialy bred for short season areas with extra cold tolerance and compact bush.

As for Russian Bogatyr yes I found 2 strains (determinate and indeterminate) for it from 2 different seed companies. And regarding Leningradski Big it was a somehow wrong describtion on it's commercial packing about determinate plant with very big fruits. But when I and many others grew it became indeterminate with fruits 1,5 times smaller. I know it happen with some amateur gardeners, but it was my first experience with well-known commercial seed company...

OK, I'm just glad you was able to see my list from this year... And I'm gonna extend it very soon with 25-30 new tomato varieties I've got during Februry :-) Hope this time all will be correct, but maybe I'm just too fast to introduce these new varieties... new for me too ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
At least the Gribovskiij part is right and if we take the Greentovyj part and take out the two "e's" and put in a "u" we then have Gruntovyj, which is what you say it should be Andrey.

No doubt,as you indicated, yet another translation induced problem.

But for those who have grown it I wouldn't say that it comes as a 50-60 day variety as grown here, but the prolific part is certainly right.

And it certainly was not a determinate as grown by either Bill Minkey with a different source, or for me where in my initial blurb I did make the comment that it was a HUGE plant back when I first listed it in 1994.

Bill says a four ft plant, but I know he grows all of his by sprawling, so take that 4 ft as you will.

So once again we see perhaps a difference as you've noted with indet and det versions of the same variety on your own list. I think it was Russian Bogatyr that came in both plant habits as well as some others that I'm not remembering right now. Perhaps Leningradski Big as well., I just can't remember and would have to look.

Carolyn, who forgot to tell you Andrey, that your list came thru just fine as sent by e-mail with the link that I couldn't open here but could with that link. So thanks.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #20
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: New dwarves offered by SSE in the 2006 Yearbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc
1. Tomato. #2523 Yellow Pygmy.
2. Tomato # 1051 Nagcarlan
3. Tomato. #3669 Adam 1
4. Tomato #846 Baxter’s Beauty
5. Tomato #853 Bes’ Largest
7. Tomato #495 Cherry Early Dwarf
8. Tomato #733 Dwarf Bush Early
9. Tomato #918 Early Chatham
10. Tomato #932 Faribo Springtime
11. Tomato #1462 French Primabel
12. Tomato #2796 Gratifying
13. Tomato #4022 Greentovyj Gribovskij
14. Tomato #790 Roter Gnom

These are all new to me-if anyone knows more than the SSE info in the Yearbook, please post.
Are any of these varieties being sold to the general public? I didn't see any of them list on the Seedsaver website.

Thanks.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Angelique,

They are all from the Yearbook , where there are about 4,000 tomato varieties offered and are not part of the 40 or so offered to the public at the website.

Off hand I really don't know which of them might be offered to the public at seed companies, but Nagcarlan rings a bell, maybe.

The best places to look for SSE varieties that are of the more rare type that aren't found at the standard places like TGS would be for you to look at Tanager Song Farm and Sandhill Preservation and mariseeds.com and Baker Creek, since all of those companies are owned by SSE members who also list varieties in the Yearbooks and are, I think, most likely to list less common varieties.
Old February 27, 2006   #22
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to check out the companies that you have suggested.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #23
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone had a chance to grow these tomatoes?

I found French Primabel (SSE tomato 1462) listed in the SSE, but could not find more information on it. Is it really a dwarf tomato? The yearbook doesn't list much at all for this tomato and is distributed by the SSE heritage farm.

Sylvia
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
Has anyone had a chance to grow these tomatoes?

I found French Primabel (SSE tomato 1462) listed in the SSE, but could not find more information on it. Is it really a dwarf tomato? The yearbook doesn't list much at all for this tomato and is distributed by the SSE heritage farm.

Sylvia
Sylvia, I had to laugh when I saw you rejuvenated a thread from Feb 2006, just one month after Tville opened.

I can take a look at my 2015 SSE YEarbook, but first I'll see if Tania lists it b'c SSE itself if it offers something usually doesn't have that much to say about anything that they list for they only list what they know.

Tania doesn't list it and here's the Google search I did:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mabel+tomatoes

Tomodori doesn't sell seeds and nor does Ventmarin but the latter may have more of a description.

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom.../tomates_f.htm

Christian lists it but has no information.

And I can also share with you again that what SSE knows about a variety they put in the Yearbook so no sense contacting them for information.

I found the listing and it was a commercial source, Nichols Garden Nursery that they got it from or was given to them.

Nichols is still in business and right now I think that's your best ne to Google them ask if they still have any info from now several decades ago.

Carolyn, who just went to some sites and translation of Primabel makes no sense. You referred to it possibly being a dwarf which is why I tried the translation
Old September 18, 2015   #25
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I emailed them and am waiting for their reply.

I almost revived a thread on Goose Creek from 2006 to note my impressions about it, but thought better of it.

So far not impressed with that tomato. I think there is too much hype about it just to drive sales.

Anyway, glad I gave you some kicks and giggles. Your comment made me smile
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote