Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2006   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default New dwarves offered by SSE in the 2006 Yearbook

1. Tomato. #2523 Yellow Pygmy.
2. Tomato # 1051 Nagcarlan
3. Tomato. #3669 Adam 1
4. Tomato #846 Baxter’s Beauty
5. Tomato #853 Bes’ Largest
7. Tomato #495 Cherry Early Dwarf
8. Tomato #733 Dwarf Bush Early
9. Tomato #918 Early Chatham
10. Tomato #932 Faribo Springtime
11. Tomato #1462 French Primabel
12. Tomato #2796 Gratifying
13. Tomato #4022 Greentovyj Gribovskij
14. Tomato #790 Roter Gnom

These are all new to me-if anyone knows more than the SSE info in the Yearbook, please post.
Old February 26, 2006   #2
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Just a quickie for now, Michael.

Have Pygmy from PGRC. Red fruit. Not grown yet. Yellow is in USDA, I think.

I have Narcarlan(g) which is a dark semi-wild tom from the Phillipines selected for breeding by U of Goo's Ontario Ag College. From PGRC, also in USDA with notes. Not grown yet. Think Mark Korney did though.

Dwarf Bush Early or Cherry Early Dwarf--same as the Early Dwarf I sent you?? Lots of very similar names. Let's see about growing them all out in one season and cross-check.

Early Chatham is still in circulation. Popular as old-fashioned (read traditional) tom in prairies and rural areas. Early canner.

Have Faribo Springtime. From Faribault, MN. So that should tell you why it's of interest to eyolf. Got it out of PGRC for him. I've not grown it.

Have Roter Gnom from PGRC. Stakeless red. Got lost in the pack 3 years ago. Should grow again.

Will share.

J
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Yellow Pygmy.... has had a hard winter.. strange leaf to it. I need to try again. I really need to treat it better. It was loaded with blooms but it needs more heat.
I have seeds to 7. I have my Yellow Pygmy seeds filed in a secret place But would be happy to give you seeds when they are ready -Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jenifer and Imiss-I just posted the letter to sse, but if there is a problem, I will ask you for seed. I like Yellow Pygmy-it needs to be grown out next to Red Pygmy so if you have seed Jenifer, I would like a few for next fall. I will share YP with you.
Old February 26, 2006   #5
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Always good to cross-check correctness from different sources. Will grow out mine (mostly from PGRC) to compare with yours from SSE.

Pygmy (red) seeds set aside. Now or later?

Will get Yellow DwCh anyway, because I'm just that sort of person.

Jennifer An(n)al H.

Familar turf, Clay, eh?
Old February 26, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

What is it that you think SSE can clarify.

I'm the one who first listed the Greentov one, source is the USDA, but I'd have to check some back issues to see what my original description is and how it meshes with what's in there now.

I see in the 2005 that Greentov is listed by SSE as an indet and that was my distant memory as well, but I'd like to take a look at my own initial entry.

You're saying that in the 2006 it's listed as a dwarf????

My 2006 is out in the back room on my tomato seed packing table, and I'm here, not there, but will check that one and then try to find that original description in some back issues.
Old February 26, 2006   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jenifer-now, please, let me know if you need my address again. We will compare notes.
Carolyn-I have the sse descriptions, was wondering if anyone had grown these and what they could add. Greentovyj is listed as ind, 2'6" and to me that is a dwarf-like new big dwarf or golden dwarf champion. Its listed as ukranian. Hope you are doing well.

All the best.
Old February 26, 2006   #8
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Michael, have coordinates. Need Stakeless? Have some English stuff too. And some seasoning peppers.

Just found a listing for Bush Goliath OP (red) with rugose foliage. Also Burbank Self-pruning and Early--a special selection apparently.

Must, must get a longkeeper tom called Carry On Carry On. For the name alone.

J, still in the red so to speak...actually getting more in the red as her list of requests increases
Old February 26, 2006   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jenifer-I have Burbank Self-Pruning and Early-will post seed to you tomorrow. Send me Stakeless with the Red Pygmy.
Old February 26, 2006   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

I did see the same listing in the 2006 and I didn't pay attention to the short size, but I also found my initial listing of it in the 1994 Yearbook and based on that I think that short size must have been a typo of some kind or see below. And actually I'm reading out of the 96 for the following.

My blurb said:

Greentovyj Gribovskij, 75 days, PI 280593, HUGE ( I emphasize) regular leaf plant, prolific set of 4 oz globes, very good taste, origin Ukraine.

In the same Yearbook SSE listed:

Gribouski, Open Ground, 70 days, round red 1-2.5 inch fruit on 2 ft plant, source IVB Moscow, tomato 2701 ( which means it entered SSE sometime in the late 70's, early 80's

And in the same Yearbook Bill Minkey listed:

Gribovsky, 65 days, indet, 4 ft plant, reg Leaf, 3 oz red fruit, very early, productive, very good flavor, from Russia, cv, Int Garden Products, Woonsocet RI 95

So it looks to me as tho Bill and I had the same variety as to indet and small red. And I wonder if someone at SSE mixed up the open ground one with the one I listed, as to the 2 ft tall remark.
Old February 26, 2006   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn and Michael,

A note about "Greentovyj Gribovskij" - I know there is a Russian tomato called 'Gruntovij Gribovskij' :-), and I am pretty sure this would be correct spelling - since there is no Russian word 'Greentovyj' :wink:

Gruntovij Gribovskij is indet. red tomato, ~3 oz (60-70 g), early, tolerates cool weather. The seeds are offered by a commercial vendor Aelita.

btw, 'Gruntovij' means 'Open ground' in Russian

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tatiana-Good to see you posting. thanks for the info. Good growing this summer!
Old February 26, 2006   #13
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Michael - good growing to you too!

I've been busy in the garden and starting seeds - now my 200+ tomatoes are started (so much for trying to grow less this year ...), most germinated already. Now waiting for warmer weather to move all these 100+ lettuce seedlings to the garden - I can't believe we've got such a cold spell at the end of Feb, after a very warm January!

Btw, your Tumbler OP is already 12" tall, but it is behind the Tumbler F1 and some of my segregating F2s which already blooming. I'll post a thread on Tumblers once I find some time to organize my pictures and descriptions. The early conclusion is that the Tumbler OP is quite different from the original Tumbler in earliness and growing habit. We'll see how fruit compares

Thank you again for Citron COmpact, it is also growing nicely and already putting some flower buds (started Jan 2). Can't wait!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tania-I have never grown the hybrid tumbler, but the op is very good. Let me know how you like CC, its one of my favorites-I found Luc, who sent it to Bill Minkey and he is very friendly-he has no info though about it, other than getting it from a French seed saver. All the best.
Old February 27, 2006   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania,

Thanks for your input as well.

The spelling I used was the one used for that variety as listed in the USDA accessions.

For many varieties from Eastern Europe there are often several spellings around, not just b'c they are expressed differently in different languages. In addition some folks translate them into equivalent English, and thus there are double listings for quite a few varieties.

There's really no way to control this variability.

jennifer was referring to the variety Neves Azorean Red in another thread in terms of a spelling being Azorian in the SSE Yearbook, rather than Azorean, but that same wrong spelling has already appeared on several growout lists at all of the websites where I post. And in my experience, that's the norm in that many folks don't pay attention to correct spellings when they list something or when they trade seeds, thus introducing yet more variability in some SSE listings as well as elsewhere in seed catalogs, etc.