Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2018   #1966
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
3-4 foot piles of snow [still] along both sides of the driveway, and it does not look like we'll resume melting until next Saturday.
This is not the weather for the gardeners, but for the skiers.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #1967
edweather
Tomatovillian™

@SueCT, Yes, granted, it's hot and humid all summer....not very good tomato growing weather. We have to do our growing when we can. Still better than the 6 month winters we endured in northern NY. I suffered all this winter on the golf course :-)
Old April 3, 2018   #1968
bower
Tomatovillian™

Today we got to 1 C (34 F) with light NNW winds though, 11 kph gusting 32, and a bit of sun here and there. I decided to check the beach again for kelp, and yay I got a nice big bag. We've had a lot of southerly wind storms this winter and when I checked before, there wasn't enough to be worth the effort. But some strong westerlies in the past few days, and there it was. I was a bit out of my comfort zone with no hat and dewpoint -8 C (18 F) but I just worked it and got what I came for.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #1969
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Seven tornado warnings on my local radar right now. The storm has passed over me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radar.jpg (249.7 KB, 61 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #1970
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Constant thunder & lightning over here right now. Sounds like a war zone.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1971
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The some system stretched down into Texas. No tornadoes that I heard of. We had some (Not much) dime sized hail that was flattened instead of roundish like usual. And a lot of strong north-westerly wind. The tomato plants didn't like it. They're not gong to like tonight's low of 40F either. It could have been a whole lot worse.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1972
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Be safe
Once I used to live in the tornado alley, MO, KS , OK , AR quad state area , in Joplin, MO to be exact. Some years later that town was devistated. By then I was no longer living there.
So I am featfull of tornados.
Talking about my local weather, can,t complain. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are planted out. I have one little worry : ie this coming Saturday night low will drop to 37F, per forecast. I can live with 37 provided it does not visit frost/freeze territory.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1973
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

We are under another winter storm warning for this weekend, I guess technically it would be a spring storm warning with frozen, accumulating precipitation. I don't EVER remember in 50 years, a winter storm warning in April.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1974
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Winter just won't go away this year.
Old April 4, 2018   #1975
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yup, same here. I am actually going to skip farmer's market saturday morning, because it is too cold. That's a first time ever for that. I don't ever remember snow on a market morning. This weekend is going to be a garden-killer for anything set out early. I don't think being covered with a bucket will save a tomato plant at 25 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aprilfrost.jpg (29.9 KB, 45 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1976
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yup, same here. I am actually going to skip farmer's market saturday morning, because it is too cold. That's a first time ever for that. I don't ever remember snow on a market morning. This weekend is going to be a garden-killer for anything set out early. I don't think being covered with a bucket will save a tomato plant at 25 degrees.
I made a living market gardening for many years and never had a failure dealing with spring weather. There were cold snaps, and wet spells, but never anything like this spring! Here it is April, and no ground turned anywhere around here. Cattle farmers are still feeding hay!
Old April 4, 2018   #1977
jillian
Tomatovillian™

It's been gorgeous here with highs in the 70's. I've gotten lots done in my garden areas and am itching to start planting, but today is very windy and night time lows for the end of the week will be in the 30's.
Take care all of you who are in these stormy and wintry places!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1978
henry
Tomatovillian™

Nice views, best time to get a snow as it will melt soon.
Old April 4, 2018   #1979
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I made a living market gardening for many years and never had a failure dealing with spring weather. There were cold snaps, and wet spells, but never anything like this spring! Here it is April, and no ground turned anywhere around here. Cattle farmers are still feeding hay!
I've seen it snow early May, and I'm in zone 8a. Forecast for 33 Friday low and tornadic weather surrounds. I put my peppers back on the lamp & heating pad, but maters are out in the GH.

Not in a foot race this year. My 80 y.o dad had a huge tree branch (8-10" circum.) fall from the sky in Memphis yesterday (he ain't from there) - luckily he was only going about 20 and was able to halt the vehicle. Shattered the windshield and crunched hood - but wrecked the wipers too with tornado and thundershowers on the ride home. Weird things since the cheeto took office.

We shall see.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1980
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
I've seen it snow early May, and I'm in zone 8a. Forecast for 33 Friday low and tornadic weather surrounds. I put my peppers back on the lamp & heating pad, but maters are out in the GH.

Not in a foot race this year. My 80 y.o dad had a huge tree branch (8-10" circum.) fall from the sky in Memphis yesterday (he ain't from there) - luckily he was only going about 20 and was able to halt the vehicle. Shattered the windshield and crunched hood - but wrecked the wipers too with tornado and thundershowers on the ride home. Weird things since the cheeto took office.

We shall see.
Glad your dad is OK..We just never know.

I have seen at least 4 May snows that covered the ground for awhile in my life. But I've never seen it this cold and wet all through March, and no letting up as far as the weather man can see into the future.

Our weather man said last week, of the last 28 days, we had 23 with either rain or snow.