Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2009   #16
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Along the same lines of your being hit with the same questions, Barbee, I get them with all the containers I usually have in the summer filled with herbs, tomatoes, beans and peppers. "Do you have to grow so many different kinds" "Why are some smaller/bigger than others?" "Why are some different shapes?" "How can you tell them apart?" "Why are those beans not all green?" "Why do those beans have streaks?"

My favourite was our cleaning lady saying that she'd gone and picked all the ones that had gone "bad" - dark brown or deep purple-black...or had streaks of multi-colours.....because she'd self-appointed herself to watch over my tomatoes while I was away for about 5 days. GRRRRRRR! I asked where she put the tomatoes - she replied that she tossed them in the compost since they looked "rotten" to her. GRRRRRR! She told me that she'd pulled the plant with the soft green tomatoes since they couldn't possibly be still green and ripe. GRRRRR!! Needless to say as well meaning as she meant to be, I was royally ticked and told her not to touch them as she obviously knew nothing about tomatoes that weren't the kind she found in a supermarket. She argued that she'd grown tomaotes for most of her life, and had grown up on a farm during the war....but had never seen tomatoes those colours. And trust me, you don't want to hear what she said and did with my Waterloo Country Mennonite Pole Beans!-- something about they must have some virus, since they're all streaky! Duh!!!

She's now banned from touching my plants outside. But still doesn't listen....sighhhh. She's worked for my Dad and my late Mother since Halloween 1963 - the day my second youngest sis was born. So I guess I have to cut her some slack...but my blood pressure soars when she's eyeing my plants and wanting to "help".
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2009   #17
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Zana Yep, that's me fainting dead away.

At least when it's my sister, I can tell her to leave me alone and she can't stay mad long. Plus, asking questions about the plants is not near the crime as throwing away the produce Yikes!