Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 5, 2011   #106
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, don't recall exactly, but it seems like it was 2 tsp - it was the amount called for on the bottle? I did eyeball the measurement, so I could have been off a little, but not much. I used a pump sprayer on that application and sprayed every plant until wet on the top and bottom side. I.e. the usual way I spray for disease prevention. I was surprised by the leaves that were crisped a day or so later. It is a small percentage of the total leaves (probably 5-10%) that appear affected. I just assumed that the leaves that turned brown/crisp were leaves that had existing disease that hadn't manifest to the naked eye yet.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #107
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

2tsp is fine and I have gone as high as 1Tbls per gallon with no reaction from the plants. Ami
Old April 17, 2013   #108
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Is there a continuation of the experiments posted in one of the threads?
Can anyone participated in the thread direct me.
thanks

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015   #109
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Bumping the holy trinity for the new folks. Life changing experience.

Several years ago I used Tomato Thrive starting at true leaf stage then monthly until plant out but sadly I can't find a source or the manufacturer for this solution.

Highly recommend products in this thread.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #110
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Bumping the holy trinity for the new folks. Life changing experience.

Several years ago I used Tomato Thrive starting at true leaf stage then monthly until plant out but sadly I can't find a source or the manufacturer for this solution.

Highly recommend products in this thread.

- Lisa
Alpha BioSystems rebranded their products, Alpha Thrive Root & Soil Drench is the equivalent of the old Tomato Thrive.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #111
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, RayR. It's listed at my local (very expensive) but convenient garden center. How did I manage to miss that? I had great , no AMAZING results in the two years I added the original product to my transplants. I'm headed there tomorrow !!!!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #112
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the bump up. Reminded me I need to order new Mycogrow.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #113
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

As a new gardener, I am trying to understand all the disparate and undocumented various best practices pertaining to growing vegetables in a backyard garden. Would it be possible for someone to list the website from where these 3 products can be purchased most reasonably? And document just how to apply these items most effectively when growing tomatoes and other common garden vegetables? Thanks in advance!
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #114
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfdillon View Post
As a new gardener, I am trying to understand all the disparate and undocumented various best practices pertaining to growing vegetables in a backyard garden. Would it be possible for someone to list the website from where these 3 products can be purchased most reasonably? And document just how to apply these items most effectively when growing tomatoes and other common garden vegetables? Thanks in advance!
For application method see Ami's pre plant dip. Post #25 on page 2 of this thread.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #115
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
"disparate" is a good word for it. But don't let all those various practices confuse you. Gardening is like science, there's a lot on experimentation along with all its failures and successes before you might get an idea of how things work. Just think of all those farmers over the eons who learned some types of soil grew crops better than others, that using animal manure and composts grew better crops. They had no idea there were living organisms that they couldn't see with their eyes down there that made it all possible. They had none of the advantages of modern science to even explain some of it.
I categorize growing practices into old school and new school. It's not that utilizing microbial inoculants is undocumented, like me I didn't know much about it until I was exposed to it here. Science has been working on understanding the mutualistic relationship between plants and bacteria and fungi for many decades and still have only scratched the surface.
Microorganisms are as critical to plant nutrition and health as they are critical to animal nutrition and health, yet most people don't know much about it even though there is a ton of information out there.
Old March 2, 2015   #116
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

Looking at tge fungi.com website, they want $5.00 for one ounce of mycogrow. Is this correct? One ounce doesn't seem like much!
Old March 2, 2015   #117
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

Is this the correct Actinovate product?

Actinovate® https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ATDG8A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bkg9ub0FXHH84 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ATDG8A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bkg9ub0FXHH84

Last edited by Rfdillon; March 2, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old March 2, 2015   #118
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

1 ounce is plenty when I use it for plant out of about 20 plants. As for actinovate, that is the product, but, I would go for a larger size. It is useful as a foliar spray during the season, not just at plant out.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #119
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

I am wondering, as a new gardener wI'll the actinovate negatively affect the other two products? Please explain, thanks!
Old March 8, 2015   #120
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am wondering, as a new gardener wI'll the actinovate negatively affect the other two products? Please explain, thanks!
No, Actinovate is a specific strain of Streptomyces lydicus bacteria (Streptomyces lydicus WYEC 108) that has good antifungal abilities among other things. There's no problem using it with the other products as a soil drench. As Dewayne said you can also use Actinovate as a foliar spray fungicide.