Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2017   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
I don't understand the growth inhibitors in Bonnie plants that many tville members write about as that has not been my experience. It must be a regional thing. I've always had good luck with them in the past. Here is a picture of my 2015 Bonnie tomatoes before I started to grow from seed.

I'm guessing that once they are in the consumer's hands and no longer being treated with who knows what, the effects of any chemical brew they've been fed wears off. If it didn't and none of the plants grew, no one would ever buy another Bonnie plant.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #17
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

i've had a somewhat similar experience with one of the three dwarf's i purchased this year. 2 of them took off like rocket fuel into healthy sprawling plants: Rutgers (huge massive crazy bush with plenty of fruit) and better bush (tall, not as bushy, very healthy, and an okay amount of fruit). BUT: i also have a Debut variety: it's 12" tall (maybe 10") and has 2 fruits that are supported maybe 4" off the ground and 3 fruits that are supported and !2"! off the ground. It was the 1st to fruit (literally a week after i planted it), but will certainly be pulling it and planting it in some random makeshift garden area on my property once my BPTD and GZ transplants arrive next week. So, I suppose, yes, we have had a similar situation to some extent.

Picture of the Debut is included. Haha, hilarious little plant! Not the best picture (it's to the left of the garden guardians schnoz, but his head is bigger than the plant, but he also has a huge head) Apologies on the sideways picture, but my work laptop doesn't allow me to rotate for some silly reason.

Zeus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Debut.jpg (145.1 KB, 31 views)
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote