Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 4, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Sprouts

My boss recently purchased some seeds such as alfalfa and clover for his wife to grow sprouts that they throw on sandwiches, salads and such. From what I have read they are packed with nutrition. Just wondering if any of you grow sprouts and what your experience has been.
Old April 4, 2009   #2
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Easy Peasy! Use a 1 quart Mason jar & ring & a piece of plastic window screen. The ring holds the screen in place over the mouth of the mason jar. Put a couple tablespoons of alfalfa seed in the Mason Jar (or just cover the bottom of the jar with mung bean seeds) & soak for a few hours. Turn upside down & drain. Shake the seed back into the glass & store in a warm place - like your kitchen - tilt the mouth downwards about 45 degrees so water can;t pool on seeds & cause mold. Rinse several times a day ( at least 2x/day). They sprout in a couple of days. Once to the size you want (5 to 6 days for me), give them 15-30 minutes in sunlight to green up, rinse well & store in the fridge. Mmmmm sprouts on sandwiches...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2009   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

sounds interesting, my boss has a screen kit for mason jars, which I have. Offered me some seeds once his come in. I do like alfalfa sprouts and will definitely give this a try.
Old April 4, 2009   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I don't see why a person couldn't just buy mung beans or just about any other small bean from the store and do this.

I like bean sprouts but like many other simple things, I never seem to get around to it.
Just too darn lazy.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2009   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

try broccoli sprouts too. they have up to 50 times the antioxident of the mature plant. they give a big nutritional bang for your buck. they have a peppery zing. they have studies going on of broccoli sprouts effect on heart disease, and pregnancy studies going on. good stuff.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2009   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

If you want more bean sprouters, and don't have the $$ to buy more then this link is for you:
How To Make A Bean Sprouter

I've made them myself, it's easy. Love those sprouts!
Especially alfalfa.

~* Robin
Old April 6, 2009   #7
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I have moth beans from the Indian Grocery we like to sprout. we also have a local natural/whole foods place that sells baggies of sprouting seeds for a decent price.

Im kinda bad about remembering to rinse my beans often enough and havent had the best luck with plastic jar sprouters.

Last year, I took a new clean clay saucer, scrubbed it (no soap!) and baked it wet in the oven to kill any bacteria. I use a washed piece of nylon/panty hose over the whole saucer as the drainage grate. Pre-soak beans for an hour or two. drain and rinse. the clay wicks out most any residual wetness so they dont get funky like in a more closed sprouter. I have had some dry out, but not get the sour stinky spoilage that I used to get from a jar.

they are great in salads and on sammiches. We make fresh tomato, onion, sprout marinated salads in the summer.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote