Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 18, 2009   #1
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default Zolotoe Serdtse

I picked this 11 oz. beauty this morning. According to Andrey's description, it should be much smaller than this, so I'm surprised at the size. Can't wait to try it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zolotoe_081809a.jpg (57.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg zolotoe_081809b.jpg (59.4 KB, 120 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2009   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, what a nice fruit! Actually I grew ZS only outdoor in my Zone 4a and have never had such a monster fruit from its compact plants. What is your plant height?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Andrey, If Serdste Buivola is heart of the Buffalo, what does Zolotoe Serdste translate to if Serdste means heart shaped?

I didn't see much of a heart shape with those fruits Sherry. Are they really hearts and what color would you call them? Sometimes it's hard to determine, at leat for me, from pictures.
Old September 21, 2009   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Andrey -- The plant was actually fairly tall. I'll measure it tomorrow in daylight. You asked just in time, since any day now we will have frost and the plants will soon be gone. In fact, if it hadn't rained today, I would have been working on that!

Carolyn -- That one surely isn't heart shaped, which surprised me. I have had others though from the same plant which are heart shaped. It's an interesting, hard-to-describe, color. I guess I'd say orange, but with green undertones, if that makes sense. And it was very tasty.

Sherry
Old September 22, 2009   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Zolotoe Serdtse = "Gold Heart" or "Heart of Gold". Gold-orange color and heart shaped (sometimes with flattened end of heart shaped fruit). And I can see orange-red color at this photo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Andrey, If Serdste Buivola is heart of the Buffalo, what does Zolotoe Serdste translate to if Serdste means heart shaped?

I didn't see much of a heart shape with those fruits Sherry. Are they really hearts and what color would you call them? Sometimes it's hard to determine, at leat for me, from pictures.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old September 22, 2009   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Sherry and Andrey.

I think you both know that I have a special place in MY heart for heart shaped varieties.
Old September 22, 2009   #7
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Andrey -- I mis-remembered. They are compact plants. The plant grown outdoors in a pot is 30" tall (this is the plant from which I harvested the 11 oz fruit) and the one in the greenhouse is 38" tall.

Sherry
Old September 22, 2009   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Here's a picture of two I picked today from the same plant. It was 37° this morning, so the end is near! These are really more of a golden color when compared to an orange fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zolotoe_092209.jpg (66.0 KB, 135 views)
Old September 23, 2009   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is. These are from original Zolotoe Serdtse.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old July 10, 2010   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing this one again this year and it's doing even better than last year I'd say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zolotoe_071010.jpg (74.1 KB, 121 views)
Old July 12, 2010   #11
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Sherri,

It's quite beautiful! I have a separate place in the garden next year for 7-10 compact varieties, mind if I bother you to trade some seeds at the end of the season?

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2010   #12
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

I grow in containers and am trying to round out my compact varieties. This year I've very much enjoyed Danko and Serdtse Buivola. I would also like to work a trade, if possible....is Zolotoe a semi-determinate also?
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2010   #13
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

D and chalstonsc -- I'd be glad to share these with you (assuming that nothing bad happens between now and then!!! I hate to count my seeds before they're hatched!). It is a nice compact plant with beautiful tomatoes. I'd call it a determinate, rather than semi-det. I grow in containers too, and this one is just perfect for that.

Sherry
Old July 13, 2010   #14
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Sherry-
Thanks for the offer....hope the seed saving goes well as it sure sounds like a great addition to my compact container variety effort. Determinate will do fine for me. I asked as I'm also concentrating when possible on compact semis, because with the climate here I've had some success cutting back semis about now, when it is too hot and humid for fruitset, and having them come back and set fruit for a Fall crop. I'm looking forward to getting some of these seeds! Thanks again.
Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #15
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Zolotoe Serdtse has returned to my garden again this year and is loaded with beautiful tomatoes.