Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 28, 2009   #1
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Default Are these bi-colored oxhearts the same tomato?

Dawson's Russian Oxheart sold by Marianna's Heirloom and Orange Russian 117?
Old September 28, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
Dawson's Russian Oxheart sold by Marianna's Heirloom and Orange Russian 117?
They're the same variety and the name Jeff Dawson gave it was Orange Russian #117 and that's how it's been listed since it was first listed in the SSE Yearbook.

I've grow it.

As I recall Jeff crossed Russian #117, a great red heart, with Georgia Streak, a typical red/gold bicolor and the variety Orange Russian #117 is a selection from that cross.

I do see it listed as Dawson's Russian Oxheart in the SSE Yearbook, but that's not the way it was originally listed and I don't know who changed the name.

And in the listing for it as Dawson's____________ in the 2009 Yearbook I don't see Marianne Jones listing it, she of mariseeds, although she usually lists in the YEarbook almost all that she lists at her website.

Hope that helps.
Old September 28, 2009   #3
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much Carolyn for responding. It sounded like the same, but I wasn't sure

I know last year when I asked about recommendations on hearts, this 1 was brought up by quite a few people, I 'think' including you.

Even though recently I swore to my hubby, just to stick to cherries next year, I just can't help but grow some other's. I think I enjoy growing them as much as eating. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna add this to my 2010 list, than again.....I KNOW for a fact that list will change like 50 times by spring

I have the worst time making up my mind and sticking with it.
Old September 28, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
Thanks so much Carolyn for responding. It sounded like the same, but I wasn't sure

I know last year when I asked about recommendations on hearts, this 1 was brought up by quite a few people, I 'think' including you.

Even though recently I swore to my hubby, just to stick to cherries next year, I just can't help but grow some other's. I think I enjoy growing them as much as eating. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna add this to my 2010 list, than again.....I KNOW for a fact that list will change like 50 times by spring

I have the worst time making up my mind and sticking with it.
No, I wouldn't have put it on a list of hearts that I like.

I grew it only b'c it was the first bicolor heart I'd seen and that's all. There are several other bicolor varieties I like much better than I did Orange Russian #117.

Fruit size and shape were variable and production was not all that good and I didn't think the taste was anything special, but that's growing it just the one time, and it isn't on my list to grow again.
Old September 28, 2009   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Again, the year makes all the difference. This year the Orange Russian #117 was not as pretty nor did it taste as good as last year's edition. At the end of 2008, I touted the OR #117 as one of my new favorites. All my friends and family who grew it swore by it. This year it was more uni-colored than bi-colored and the flavor was ordinary.

I will try again to replicate 2008 a couple of times before I give up on it. When it is good it is very, very good, etc.
Old April 5, 2012   #6
sphecid
Tomatovillian™

Default Don't give up on Orange Russian 117

This is a really old thread, but I had to throw in my two cents regarding Orange Russian 117. This tomato has been on my grow list for 4 years running and has never disappointed. Fruit size and shape does vary significantly as Dr. Carolyn notes, but the flavor has been really nice. I think the hot dry summers out here in central Northern CA have something to do with its excellent growth and flavor. Granted, it is a bi-color, so do not expect the flavor to rival the richness of many other reds, greens or blacks, but this is a very good tomato IMHO. Striped German is my other "go-to" bi-color for this area. I have Beauty King and Hawaiian Pineapple planted this year, and I'll be trying Virginia Sweets and re-trying Lucky Cross next year. Oaxacan Jewel and Beauty Queen were bland last year, but I will give them another try in 2013. Any suggestions for very good tasting bi-color varieties would be appreciated. William's striped seems to have a good following...

Not to deviate from the thread, but if anyone else is planting in dry summer heat, beyond any of the cherries, I can recommend (in no particular order), Tropic, Japanese Black Trifele, Earl's Faux, Marianna's Peace (not huge production), Bloody Butcher, Tangerine, KBX, Cherokee Purple, JD's Special C-Tex (lower production but fantastic flavor), Absinthe, Cow's Tit, Amish Paste, Carbon, Paul Robeson, Goose Creek, Opalka, Orange Banana and Porter - all for very good taste with extra points for color, productivity or both. My garden does receive a little late afternoon shade, but 90 to 100 degree days with nights in the mid 60's to mid 70's is the norm for May through early Sept here, typically without a drop of rain. Last year was significantly cooler and the taste of the black varieties suffered greatly, however, OR 117 was still great.

Wishing everyone a very successful 2012 year of tomato production!

-Dr. Dave
sphecid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #7
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphecid View Post
I have Beauty King and Hawaiian Pineapple planted this year, and I'll be trying Virginia Sweets and re-trying Lucky Cross next year.
Is Hawaiian Pineapple a bi-color? I have a mystery plant in my garden that may or may not be HP and I was expecting HP to be orange. If it's not orange, well, that's just one more variable to take into account in figuring out what the plant is.

Say, how is the size on Porter, if you don't mind me asking? Is that Porter Improved? I have tried the small grapish-eggish Porter and I am trying Improved this year, hoping for better size and juiciness.

Mark
Old April 5, 2012   #8
sphecid
Tomatovillian™

Hawaiian Pineapple is described as a golden yellow fruit by some sites such as Tomato Fest and Reimer, but as a bi-color by others such as Baker Creek and Marianna's. The online pictures via google search also differ between these two alternate forms. This year, I "cheated" and picked up this variety as a locally grown plant rather than growing this variety from seed, so I do not know which form to expect.

As far as the Porter goes, I have only grown "Porter" from heirloomseeds.com, apparently not the Improved Porter. The improved Porter is apparently also called Porter's Pride. My only problem with Porter was the thick skin, but I was expecting a small, pinkish red, golf-ball to egg sized tomato, which it was. You might peek at this to further complicate the issue: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/gar...-improved.html

There is also reference to improved porter being called porter's pink...

I wish I could do a better job at answering this question. Perhaps others know more history on both (all) of these varieties.

This definitely demonstrates the need to know the seed source of the varieties we purchase. I typically grow everything from seed, and keep a detailed database of seed names and their sources. But when I really like a tomato and run out of seed, I often worry about the result that may come from buying it from a different vendor.
sphecid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #9
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphecid View Post
This definitely demonstrates the need to know the seed source of the varieties we purchase.
Very true! Very interesting info, too, thanks.

I got my Hawaiian Pineapple from TGS. To see it listed as a bi-color elsewhere makes me wonder if it is one and the same as Pineapple or if certain sites are mixing up two distinct varieties. I did not like Pineapple when I grew it and picked up seed for HP because I was told it was a much different plant. I'll disappointed if it is a Pineapple clone, but I'm glad for the info for the purposes of plant ID.

I don't actually remember where I got my original Porter. It was a bit dry for me as a fresh eating tomato and small in a year when I had far too many fruit to want to deal with cherry-size. I'd grow it again in the right circumstances, but I'm hoping Porter's Pride is wholly different.

Mark