Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 26, 2010   #1
pete
Tomatovillian™

Default Sump pump water

I have a sump pump in my basement right next to my seed starting shelves. I set up a 55 gallon tank with a clear water pump to water my seedlings. I set the sprayer on JET and water the trays from the side. I put each tray on a scale while I water so I know exactly how much to water. The sump basin is pumping ground water, not any water from inside the house--no grey water.

I use a floor sucker pump to fill the tank. I am careful with salt and de-icer solutions that may filter down to where the sump water drains. I have the tank because the sump only runs when it rains a lot or when the snow is melting.

Any thoughts about calcium chloride?? I have used amonium nitrate for ice melting before but lately seems expensive and you have to sign for it.

The water is usually clear and I have an air pump and stone to bubble the water. I want to post some pictures but the basement is messy.

I have had this set up for 6 years and improve on it yearly. It only takes me 20-30 minutes to weigh and water 20 flats, and that gets done once every day or two.

Pete

Last edited by pete; February 27, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #2
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Calcium chloride (very very weak solution) can be sprayed on plants, they just don't use the chloride part. I think it is a main ingredient in blossom set spray for toms, etc. They shouldn't be hurt by whatever filters through the ground. Usually adding it is not necesary because it is already abundant in most of our limestone soils. I have considered using cheap fertilizer as icemelt, but salt is really rough on most pavement especially concrete. People dump a bunch of nitrogen on their lawns, so I can understand the bit of ammonium nitrate to reduce slippage. I guess the pure form needs to be signed for so terrorists don't buy a bunch to make bombs. Enough about that, don't want the CIA or whoever to be too upset.

Sounds like you have a similar system, we just use rainwater, that way I choose what nutrients to add. Have you ever tested for total dissolved salts? Our well is about 600-700 ppm and rain (after falling off the roof) is about 10-15. Tastes good, too but I don't drink it on purpose. Never tested the sump water.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2010   #3
pete
Tomatovillian™

Thanks David, I guess I'll get the sump water tested just for kicks. My set-up is really simple and makes seed starting a piece of cake because I have good water and easy access to it (I guess thats the price you pay when you live at low ground water level, when the creek floods and is 50' from my front door, I'm thinking on a hill would be a better place to live!!). Would a brix refractometer test the water, I know we check specific gravities of urine and plasma with one, also my tomato juice, I'll try it, only takes a second.
Old February 27, 2010   #4
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Whoa, I flunked brix refractometry. I just borrow a friend's meter and stick it in the water/ fertilizer solution. I suppose you can figure out how to calculate/ calibrate if you have a control solution, maybe it automatically tells you that. If your system works, that's all that matters.

My system has one main thing lacking- It isn't pressurized. I have a submersible 3.2 amp centrifugal pump, but I want to be able to use a 2 GPM mist nozzle for a garden hose and get more than a dribble. For now it's a 3 gal sprayer and watering cans.

Do you make the tomato juice?
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010   #5
pete
Tomatovillian™

I just brix the juice that you get when you cut a fresh tomato in half. Gives an idea of the flavor sugar content.

Good luck with an electric high pressure sprayer, I would use a rechargable back pack sprayer.

I made one but it was a pain to use. Had to have on open spray the whole time.

Pete