Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 7, 2010   #1
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Default First time container grow - fertilizer?

Hello all!

Most of my garden is in the raised beds, but this year, for the first time I decided to give containers a try (in hopes for the early tomatoes), since these I could haul them into garage in case of frost (which happened 3 times in April).

I've read through many pages in this section about the methods, different mixes and such...

My containers are 10 and 18 gallons (for compact determinates and compact indeterminates respectively). Soil mix consists of 2 parts of StaGreen (Lowe's potting soil as suggested), 1 part of mushroom compost, 1 large shovel of vermiculite, one shovel of perlite, 2 shovels of home made, well cured compost (from different piles).

During the mix, I've added bone meal, TomatoTone and granulated lime.

Up to this point - growth is amazing, deep green color, very very strong and thick leafs and stems on all varieties, all flowering and all have fruits. My question is on future regiments of fertilization - what is the best way of keep these plants happy (since I've never grown tomatoes in containers before)?

My thoughts were to mix finished compost with TomatoTone and limestone again, I have fine grounded egg shells and coffee grounds, mix it well, and add one full shovel of that mixture to the top of the existing soil mix, then cover it back up with the straw (as I have now)???

Thank you for reading, and will be glad to hear any suggestions for the future feeding regiments of my container tomatoes, which btw are:

Pipo
Fruhe Liebe
Kalinka
Noire De Crimee
Burtzyn
Early Wonder Pink
Grub's Mystery Green
Taxi
Stupice
Kimberly
Lambada
Lycopersicum-Macrocarpum-Lutea

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #2
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Dmitry..... Good to see your plants underway & to see you posting!

Looks like you've got a great start with your planting "mixture" and it seems to me that all you will need thruout the season is some of your well-aged home-made compost made into a bulk batch of Compost tea and used regularly after they start producing. To give it even more "microbial punch"....you might look into an aerator to produce a "super compost". Perhaps you are already familiar with the procedure, but if not you can "Google" ""Aerated Compost Teas"" for details. GOOD luck....keep us posted!!!!!!!
LarryD
Old May 8, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

D, looks like you got all the bases covered on your initial plant out. Are you using SWC's (Self Watering containers) or open containers that drain out the bottom. Ami
Old May 8, 2010   #4
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Hi Larry!

Good to hear from you! It's been rather rocky year so far, but all is well, coming out of my shell, and gardening is definitely a boost of energy that I need!

I've just started to read up on "aerated compost teas", sounds very interesting, and since I have plenty of the natural material to work with, would definitely give it a try, thank you for advise! BTW, how is your garden going?

Ami,

Using top watering containers with the drain holes in the bottom. Chose the Silver color containers to keep the soil at the lower temperatures. I setup a drip irrigation system, and so far - this early planting pays off, hoping for a first ripe tomato in a week or two.

Just concerned with appropriate future fertilization to keep the plants looking as healthy as they are now and more importantly productive.

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Washout of the nutrients is always a problem in containers with "holes in the bottom". What I do is let the plants tell me what they need. It is a given that you will need to add fertilizer more frequently with these type containers. I used a system where I didn't fill the container completely full at initial plantout. Then, as the plants grew, I added more of the potting mix (at least twice). The potting mix contained additives like dolomite lime, tomato tone, maybe some 10-10-10 generic fertilizer, and maybe some composted cow manure or some mushroom compost. All of this and using Miracle Grow fertilizer for tomatoes every two weeks kept things at a "washout standoff".

You've got to "tune in" to the plants and let them tell you what they need to stay "dark green" and healthy. Be careful of too much nitrogen when the plants set fruit. Nitrogen grows lots of foliage at the expense of fruit.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

D, since your using a drip system and most likely will apply during the fruiting stage I would recommend the HESI soil bloom to supplement the ferts in your containers. Ami

http://www.4hydro.com/nutrients/bloomComplex.asp