Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old May 26, 2010   #1
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

Default Will this extend my season?

Hello,

I just got the go-ahead from the wifey and a carpenter friend to turn part of my deck into a sunroom. It is on the second story, would be about 11 by 11 feet, faces south, and has a roof. The idea would be to enclose it with glass and put three skylights (1.5 by 8 ft each) on the roof, which is south slanting. It would generally not have heat, but I could use propane heat to protect it by a few degrees if a late spring or early frost comes.

I currently grow my tomatoes, peas, and peppers (and 3 mini dwarf apple trees) on the deck even with the roof over them (I line them up along the edges of the south and west sides), and they do almost as well as the stuff in the raised beds in the yard, but not quite, and I'm hoping the skylights will help with this.

My thought was to protect from winds (which really hurt my plants a couple weeks ago) and against frost on those spring nights when the temperature dips below freezing for a couple or few hours. But is there a possibility that I could use this or alter the idea to extend the season by maybe a month or so?
jeffinjonestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

If you grow in pots, bring them inside the sunroom to extend the growing season in the fall before TSHTF.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2010   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

As long as the frosts arent to heavy you wouldnt need propane heating in your sunroom, it will offer enough protection on it own.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote