Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 7, 2011   #1
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Default Artistic Gardens?

I am curious if anybody here has used this source.

Artistic Gardens

They do not have a huge selection of veggies, but they sell in sample sized packets (which is great for people with very limited space).
Their packets are 35¢ each! Cheap way to trial a lot of varieties.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've ordered from them before...the seeds were fine, mostly (they don't always pack in bubble pack, so some larger seeded items may not fair well on a small order...), germination and 'trueness' were fine or better than average (germination).

The other downside is that at times they can be slow to fulfill/ship...it's a small operation and can get backlogged.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've ordered from them several times and never had any problem with either service or the seeds.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #4
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Thought it might be of interest to anybody with a tiny garden (or budget).
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
Thought it might be of interest to anybody with a tiny garden (or budget).
Yeah, you can't beat the price! It's especially nice if you're just wanting to try herb gardening or flowers, etc. They have lots of open pollinated vegetables, too, of almost every common type. Paper catalog is small and not in color, no pics, bare bones- might deter someone new to gardening, I guess. Never visited their website.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2011   #6
mushrooms
Tomatovillian™

I saw they had a variety called 'Patio'. Does anyone have more info on this one?
mushrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2012   #7
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Well, I realize that this is rather late in coming (what's 18 months?!) but, I ordered a bunch of seeds from Le Jardin du Gourmet/Artistic Gardens including Patio. Largely, they are of excellent quality, both germination percentages, resulting plants & yields. Please note, the sample packet price has gone up to $.40 (steep!) and you receive anywhere from 5-35 seeds per. As for Patio, that's one exuberant plant! It's listed as determinate and, while it technically is, it's HUGE. I believed the catalog info and assumed it would be 4' as listed and planted accordingly. Needless to say, it's at least 7' now and still very much growing & blooming with trusses bearing 7-12 (1.5-2") fruits each. What a MONSTER and I have 12 of them encroaching on all my other veggies, herbs & tomatoes. Can't say how they taste because they haven't given me one ripe fruit yet- but, many, many green globes are hanging around in the sweltering heat, quite a sight! SO, BE FOREWARNED!, hehe!
royceag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2012   #8
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I love that they have the small size seed packets, right up my sidewalk. I just placed an order and will see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your comments and the link to the sight.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

They're not that far from me in VT and it's been YEARS since I ordered anything from them and I knew them as Le Jardin, and they sent out a small whie kind of pamphlet with what they' offered.

I think it was mainly herbs and some ofther non-tomato stuff I ordered from them, maybe some lettuces, and while I didn't look around at the current site they also sold herbs and such in small pots. Those that I ordered were not all that great in terms of the plants in those pots but that was then, this is now.

Looking through the tomatoes they offer now, it's just the standard stuff and if it were me I'd order the sample size ones that Remy has at her Sample Seed Shop, if it's a small number of seeds someone wants for a great ptice.

I'm glad to see they're still going, oh, and I forgot, back then it was almost impossible to get them to return a phone call, but again, that was then and this is now, so I assume much different since they now have a flower shop with Teleflora, etc.
Old July 10, 2012   #10
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Isn't Patio supposed to be a dwarf variety, a dwarf determinate variety? And I don't think it should be producing those trusses either.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #11
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
Isn't Patio supposed to be a dwarf variety, a dwarf determinate variety? And I don't think it should be producing those trusses either.
Well, all I can say is it's one mighty big dwarf! I just hate taking photos and it's been raining but, I promise to post a pic soon. And, it's not only 1 fluke seed, it's 12. 100% germination btw. Royce
royceag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #12
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I got my confirmation email on my order today. I like having immediate follow up.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 13, 2012   #13
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I received my seed order today. Now how fast was that, and I provided these seeds produce, then come next time, I'll be a repeat customer. I love great service.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 13, 2012   #14
royceag
Tomatovillian™

Here are the pics of Patio which I promised. I hope these are visible as it's my first time posting photos.
Old July 14, 2012   #15
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Royce,
It looks like the "Patio" tomato must have been mislabeled....I do not grow Patio tomatoes but know others who do and they were always very contained ...usually not taller than 3 foot...
JB
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote