Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2006   #1
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Red House Free Standing, another PL dwarf

What a surprise this year!! First time I've grown out Red House Free Standing PL and it turns out to be a dwarf, the only other PL dwarf that I know of besides Dwarf Recessive.
The Red House Free Standing is about 14" tall with a thick stem like all dwarfs. Leaf form is typical PL with a few rounded serrations. There were 3 blossoms on it when I checked the "spudgarden" this morning. The Dwarf Recessive I'm growing along side of it is only about 10" high and should only grow to 2' according to Craig.

I'll keep everybody posted and should have some pics about Labor Day when my new computer arrives. I already have a brand new Olympus EVOLT 500 digital camera but found out my 8 year old PowerMac 8600 wont run the OS 10 operating system and the Olympus software for the camera.

Regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Folks with those expensive PowerMacs really got screwed with OS X. $4,000 when everyone else was spending $2,000. But OS X is sooooo worth a new Mac. Mac minis are $499 now.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2006   #3
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Greetings Spud,

Grew this one in 2002 - received seed from M. Ford - his original seed came from SSE man in Oklahoma in 1995.

While this one tasted fabulous, it had low production, and almost every fruit had BER. I've only grown it once, but don't recall PL foliage. Here's a picture (is this PL?) ....

http://<br /> <a href="http://xs.to...[/img]</a>
Old June 29, 2006   #4
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: your pics of Red House Free Standing

D,
Good to hear from you again. The Salmon's PL is doing just fine with lots of flowers and green fruit.

As far as I can determine, Red House Free Standing is PL. My original seed came from a good friend of mine here in NM, John Rahart (95 NM RA J) in 1995 who has been a SSE member since the mid 1980's. John told me personally that RHFS was potato leaf.

I Googled Red House Free Standing tomato but the 2 sites mentioned gave no indication whether it was PL or rugose leaved.
Further investigation on the Tomato Genetics Research Center at UC, Davis website shows many different images of the "c" gene (potato leaf gene). The images range from the typical smooth edged PL leaf forms with one or two "thumbs" to ones with 5-6 smooth rounded serrations per leaf side (like a white oak leaf). My avatar on T'ville is one of those images.
A check of my old SSE Yearbooks back to 1988 show either no leaf type, or in the 2001 Yearbook listing Don Kellums indicates rugose leaf.

I'm no expert in telling the difference between PL and rugose leaf. Maybe Craig or Keith could chime in on this one explaning the differences in word and possible some pics. I've noticed puckering on some of my PL varieties like there is on rugose leaved varieties. Is that one way to tell the difference?

I am growing out 93 different PL varieties this year plus 10 RL black varieties. I am in the process of taking digital pics of all 93 PL plants including leaves and fruit to be included on my Spudleaf Webpage (which is under construction and not online yet.)

I just checked the "spudgarden" a few minutes ago and among the 93 PL varieties being grown, there are at least 8 or 9 distinctly different PL leaf forms , from completely smooth edges like Kimberly to ones with the serrated edges like the Red House Free Standing. Puckering ranges from none to light to medium+

D, there seems to be conflicting information on whether Red House Free Standing is PL or rugose leaf. I'm going to give the folks at TGRC a call and offer seeds and pics for them to do an examination of the #6 chromosome where the "c" or PL gene is located. That is the only way for sure to get the PL or rugose leaf question answered.

Best regards,
Bill Malin (AKA Spud)
Old June 29, 2006   #5
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Red House Free Standing, another PL dwarf

Keith,
Thanks for the additional info. I went out and checked both the Red House Free Standing and the Dwarf Recessive PL from Craig that I'm growing out. They are side by side in the garden and neither one exhibits compound leaflets behind the primary leaf.

I also checked some of the RL blacks that I am growing and German Red Strawberry. Apparently the RL varieties have both single and compound leaflets. I can list the varieties of RL ones with and without the compound secondary leaflets if you want me to !! Looks like the compound secondary leaf rule doesn't apply to them.
Does the compound secondary leaf rule apply to all dwarfs and rugose varieties??

Best regards,
Bill
Old June 29, 2006   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

A few pictures:

Dwarf Stone - dwarf, reg leaf, rugose -

Dwarf Recessive - dwarf, potato leaf, rugose -

In both plants the foliage is dark green and crinkly (rugose) - serrated edges (reg leaf) in Dwarf Stone, smooth edges (Pot leaf) in dwarf recessive.
Old June 29, 2006   #7
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Red House Free Standing, another PL dwarf

Craig, thanks for the pics.
Bill
Old June 30, 2006   #8
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default 'Vilmorin's potato leaf

Keith,
I never have heard of the variety "Vilmorin's Potato Leaf" Are seeds generally available?? If so, do you have a source for some?? I'd be willing to trade or purchase some seeds for my spudleaf collection. Thanks again for the info.
Regards,
Bill