Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 1, 2011   #1
attml
Tomatovillian™

Default How many dust their tomatoes?

I did a search on dusting tomatoes and there were very few threads that seem to address the subject. I was wondering how many gardners dust their tomato plants? If you do dust how often and what dust do you do use? Also, how do you apply it? I saw a device Mischka posted in one of the few threads about dusting http://www.earthduster.com/ . I worry about chemicals so wonder if there is anything out there that works that isn't going to be harmful. Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by attml View Post
I did a search on dusting tomatoes and there were very few threads that seem to address the subject. I was wondering how many gardners dust their tomato plants? If you do dust how often and what dust do you do use? Also, how do you apply it? I saw a device Mischka posted in one of the few threads about dusting http://www.earthduster.com/ . I worry about chemicals so wonder if there is anything out there that works that isn't going to be harmful. Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mark
Mark, I think the first question to be asked is the reason for dusting tomato plants, in other words why would someone do that?

Is it to get rid of hornworms, to deal with Colorado Potato Beetles, etc., b/c there are specific products used for specific reasons.

In your situation what critters and diseases do your plants experience that you'd like to deal with?
Old March 1, 2011   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I've had my dustin-mizer for over 20 years now. There is nothing much I need to dust for on tomatoes up here where I live now, but I used to dust my tomato, pepper, and especially eggplant transplants with rotenone or sevin dust after setting out when I farmed in NJ for mainly flea beetles, and the old days before bt for Colorado Potato beetle and especially cucumber beetles on my vine crops.

Now I use it mainly to dust the weed cloth I put it down with kaolin clay. Fresh laid black plastic and black weed block can get so hot on a 90 degree day that it will burn any transplant stem that touches it, and the clay leaves a whitish residue that doesn't absorb the heat.

Personally now, if I was spending that much money for something to apply pesticides I'd go with a small backpack sprayer instead like a SOLO that sprays liquid mixes.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The only thing I have used to dust with is Seven dust and that was 7 years ago.
Then the grasshoppers were so bad it was like a biblical plague.
I mean really bad, every plant must have had 1000 hoppers on it.

I dont like to use seven but if need be I will and never around where honey bees are pollinating.
When I first moved here there were 0 bees.
I planted flowering trees and plants and now they are every where and I'll be if I do something to kill them.
I plan on growing melons this year and I need them bees.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

If you're concerned about inhaling the dust, then use the Sevin liquid in a sprayer. Here at the Muddy Bucket Farm, we have Colorado Potato Beetles, Stinkbugs, and lots of Japanese Beetles that are in the "swarm" numbers. Then there are the other usual critters showing up. We also have a lot of four-legged furry critters that visit.

I throw everything I can at them all - Sevin, Daconil, Malathion, etc..... and my trusty pellet rifle.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Dust tomatoes??? I barely dust my house. Who knew???
Old March 1, 2011   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Dust tomatoes??? I barely dust my house. Who knew???
Yes you are supposed to dust your tomatoes.
First you start at the top and work your way down dusting on top and under each branch.
Then you lift up the lower branches and clean under them making sure you get all of the lint that may be there.

Afterward you can us something like Lemon Pledge on the leaves to make them shine.
God lord man where have you been, under a rock.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #8
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I thought the idea was to make enough money so that you could hire a maid service to dust everything for you.
Old March 1, 2011   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
Worth, I thought the idea was to make enough money so that you could hire a maid service to dust everything for you.
I have a maid for the first time in my life here in Mexico...she cooks, cleans, does the laundry for about 60.00 month US. My husband gave her a car and her husband is our handy man...I will advise him on dusting the tomatoes and I will go out there and give them the "white glove test"! And Worth, I have a friend who REALLY uses Lemon Pledge on her house plants...she says they seem to love it.
Old March 1, 2011   #10
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I find BT safe and effective so I've been spraying with that (and hot pepper, to keep the squirrels off!)

I think I'll try a weekly spraying of daconil on 1/2 my plants to see how well it works in delaying disease.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #11
vagardener434
Tomatovillian™

I don't dust tomatoes at transplant myself, but I know some old timers who always dust prior to planting. I think its more of a preventative measure, just in case there are bugs in the vicinity. The only thing I dust at transplant is cole crops.

Bobby
vagardener434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #12
attml
Tomatovillian™

Per Carolyn's question of what I am dusting for, I had a leaf miner problem last year. I had over 30 Hornworms on 8 plants last year but I was manually removing them without any problems and only minimal damage. I had some non-THW catapillars that did a little damage last year as well. The reason I ask is my father-in-law who lives in Carroll County (about an hour north of me) who grew up on a Pennsylvania farm dusts his plants every year. He is somewhat of a tomato anomoly. He plants his tomatoes in the spring and then literaly walks away until it is time to pick them. No staking, no cages, no watering nothing (no joke!). He laughs at me that I make such a fuss over my tomatoes! I am trying to mirror some of the things that he does to see if they will work for me. Just wanted to get folks here on the board's opinion about the dusting. Thanks as always!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Dipel Dust is completely organic for killing hornworms, fruitworms, etc. But it's difficult to apply without a special applicator. So I instead buy BT Worm Killer concentrate, mix it up, and spray it on my plants.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #14
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

I have had years when Colorado potato beetle was epidemic and needed to spray tomato potato peppers and eggplant with BT.

But I never proactively spray for anything.
Old March 2, 2011   #15
Lunacy
Tomatovillian™

I am tying some "Diatomaceous Earth" this year, has anyone dusted with this stuff?
Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote