Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 30, 2011   #1
BigBoy
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellows, Pinks, Reds, Whites and Blues

Hello to all!
Well, I was a little scared about surviving the 100+ temps last week, but came out with just a couple sun scalds. Otherwise, turning up the heat has ripened a lot of Big Boys. I've had some monster harvests last few days. I'm consistently pulling pound and a halfers. Also getting swamped with Sungolds, Sweet 100's, and pea sized White Currants. I have to admit - the White Currants, for being so small, are by far the sweetest tasting tomatoes we are growing. Best eaten right off the vine, we made a couple Bloody Marys with some extra stewed toms that the DW made the other nite, and floated around five in each drink. They were so good, we're going to try to make some Heirloom tomato juice next. I think she's up to 19 jars sauce and 8 jars of stewed tomatoes.
Enjoy the pics - there's Pink Brandywine, Virginia Sweets, White Beauty, Giant Belgium, Big Rainbow, Orange Oxheart, and my tomato of the season - Blue.
Really enjoying our new house and garden - not bad for growing in Philly. Wishing everyone the same success this season. Stay tuned for "Tomato Art".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigBoy's Big Bowl.JPG (203.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg White Currants.JPG (190.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Look at that color!.JPG (328.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Riesentomatoe.JPG (197.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg David vs Goliath.JPG (230.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg More Monsters.JPG (173.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Orange Oxhearts.JPG (249.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Some Big Boys.JPG (327.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Cluster Ripening.JPG (308.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Garlic Gazebo.JPG (392.8 KB, 67 views)
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2011   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I really enjoyed your gorgeous photos and glad your fruits came through the scalding heat pretty well and that you're enjoying your new home. Staying tuned...
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2011   #3
clara
Tomatovillian™

You make me green with envy, BigBoy! We had 48% more rain than usually in July, too bad for tomatoes! I, too, like the currants for their incredible sweetness! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2011   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just a distinct possibility that White Currant is actually Coyote. The first year I was given the tomato which is Coyote, in 1990, it had no name...I listed it in the SSE as Ivory Currant - seems as though the name was also modified to White Currant somewhere along the way. The person who gave me the tomato sent me a letter saying that the actual tomato name was Coyote (it is from Mexico, which is where the woman who gave it to me - as a cluster of fruit - was from).

So, I can't be 100% sure, but I bet White Currant = Ivory Currant, which = Coyote. Carolyn may have additional knowledge/info on this (esp if she has her yearbooks handy!)
Old July 30, 2011   #5
bullish
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! What variety are the toms in the pic called "Look at that color"?
Old July 30, 2011   #6
Zana
Tomatovillian™

BigBoy you're making me totally green with envy with your harvest and your photos. Glad to see you're getting such great results even with all the high temps. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #7
BigBoy
Tomatovillian™

Thanx ladies for the nice comments....

Bullish - It's the Blue PS2 I believe from Oregan State University.

NC - thanks for the Coyote info - every heirloom has a story behind it.

I have to give credit to a u-tube video I saw where a farmer's wife taught me to put a handful of eggshells and a handful of bonemeal in each hole. Nitrogen first from fish poop, follwed by Bat Guano (high in P) during the fruiting stage, and the biggest things i did different this year was drip irrigation and 12 bags of mulch, which I believe have helped out a great deal thru these heat waves.
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote