Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 24, 2011   #1
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Gigantesque

I wonder why more people don't mention Gigantesque tomatoes
Last year it tied for best with my pusta kolox, how ever you spell PK. And this year it is my best. More fruit and bigger fruit than the hybrid big beef, and I consider big beef the standard. Good shape and looks, even in my raised bed. I won't say any thing about taste, cause that depends so much on likes and growing conditions.
Any one else raising them?
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2011   #2
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

I have a couple of plants going. I am very sad that one of them has been pretty much destroyed. Not sure what it was but I have plucked 4 hornworms off so I am thinking they really did all that damage. Possibly a fungal issue as well. My second one is lush and green (knock on wood) and has a ton of tomatos on it. I am hoping for some large which was what drew me in the first place. Although at this point I will just take a ripe tomato. Hoping they taste great!!
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2011   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I grew one plant this year and it was pruned to a single vine like all the rest of the newbies. It gave me four fruits: 7.5, 8.0, 8.1 and 9.5 oz. They had motley yellow blobs on the skins and had rotten spots inside. Won't comment on the taste but we didn't like it. Maybe my seeds were crossed?
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2011   #4
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Just picked four great looking tomatoes in the last 24 hours ranging from 11 oz to 1lb 5oz.
Plant is loaded with fruit.

No report on taste yet but they look great. Just by the look of the tomatoes and the production of the plant, looks like it will definitely be on my list for next year.
Old August 24, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Gigantesque

Note the original source of the seeds and that it was renamed from a Russian variety by Lisa at Amishland.

I did a Google search and read quite a few of the links and no one is getting anything gigantic at all.

Probably like Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, which is far from being jumbo but is still an excellent variety.

Most of the time when you see a variety that has any kind of word suggesting huge fruits, it's best to do some searching on it to confirm what it really does in most folks gardens.
Old August 24, 2011   #6
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Gigantesque

Note the original source of the seeds and that it was renamed from a Russian variety by Lisa at Amishland.

I did a Google search and read quite a few of the links and no one is getting anything gigantic at all.

Probably like Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, which is far from being jumbo but is still an excellent variety.

Most of the time when you see a variety that has any kind of word suggesting huge fruits, it's best to do some searching on it to confirm what it really does in most folks gardens.
I think that the name might actually hurt its being planted by people that aren't trying for size. Mine run 8 oz to hoping for a pound, but I have never had a 1 lb or bigger tomato in any variety. Mine are just right for a sandwich slice. To me the first thing a tomato must do is grow and produce here in very bad conditions. I have 5 or 6 popular varieties (names un mentioned) that just don't make it for me. Honorable mention to spudakee, OTV, red BW, and yes the BW red PL one-whatever it is.
Old August 26, 2011   #7
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

My friend that I gave starter plants to just brought a gantesque to show me. My digital scale says 1 pound 4 oz. Nice shape of orange-red with a bit of green top. So far mine run about 10 to 12 oz.
Old August 26, 2011   #8
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Here's three of the first four I picked so far this season. The largest weighes in at 1 pound 5 ounces. Gave one away but haven't heard back yet. Hope I uploaded the picture correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (203.3 KB, 22 views)