Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 7, 2012   #1
bakob
Tomatovillian™

Default Company Dollarseed?

Someone knows the information about the company DollarSeed? Reputation, experience? http://www45.instantestore.net/merchant29320/

Bako
bakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any experience with them myself but they seem to have good reviews so far: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7748/
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2012   #3
bakob
Tomatovillian™

It is surprising.. the members are not know with this company. The price of tomato seeds and shipingis cost is very low! Another issue is the quality of seed...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dollar...06693429398646

Last edited by bakob; March 8, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
bakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2012   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Dollar Seed appears to be quite new...

"Welcome to DollarSeed ~ This new store went live on September 18th, 2011. All of our regular garden seed packages are just $1.00 each ($5.00 for bulk packs), and we use some of the industry's lowest shipping methods...."

It appears to be a mom & pop family effort based in Ohio with roots/ties to community and sustainability initiatives...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #5
DollarSeed
Tomatovillian™

Default Hey, I am DollarSeed's Owner! Read This

Hi All,
I am David Moffitt, the owner of DollarSeed.com. First let me dispel some myths. No, we are not from Ohio, though we do have many friends there that post about us on their family friendly blogs. We are located in a little town called Cortland which is located in Central New York. No, we are not a brand "New" company. Though we did just start in fall of 2010 with just 16 varieties, and now have over 150 and growing. Our new store was in answer to the many problems we faced using zencart as our original one.
Mom and Pop, I wish. This is a one man show. Momma don't want nothing to do with it. Though I do have a few helping family members for when things start to go crazy. Unlike the large seed houses you are used to dealing with, we do everything manually here. However, the seeds are never touched by the human hand until you plant them.

Most larger seed houses also do an end of year clearance sale to move the older seeds. Though that is not always the case as I have recently learned. Many hire people to open the packs, pour the seeds back into the bins, and then repackage them for the next year. To me, that is a no-no, regardless of your reasons for doing it. If they are packaged for say 2011, and the end of season is upon us (August), any prepackaged seeds go to Outreach Programs that teach school aged children sustainable gardening methods. The rest is used to help promote feeding the needy all over the US.
My way of doing business may be a bit of a financial burden, but you won't get fresher seeds packaged with so much personal attention and care as you will get from me. If you see that the Live Chat on the site is Online, you won't be talking to just anyone, you will be talking to me, the owner, and your personal customer care representative.

Unfortunately for BakoB, for some reason he had a problem using his Blue American Express card on the site, but PayPal has assured me that this is an accepted form of payment as are most others. So much so, they sent me a new graphic showing the Blue American Express on it.

So in answer to all above: Yup, we're fairly new, we have great seed counts, awesome reviews, ship low cost and quick, and handle every order with the utmost care. Have any more questions for DollarSeed? Check to see if I am Online and use our Live Chat feature to talk to me personally http://tiny.cc/pa01e

All of our seeds are guaranteed non-GMO, Organic and Heirloom and a few disease resistant Hybrids.
What could be healthier?

You can also follow me on twitter @DollarSeed and Like me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dollar...06693429398646 to keep up with all sales and additions
DollarSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #6
vegetal87
Tomatovillian™

Hello, can you send seeds in france ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollarSeed View Post
Hi All,
I am David Moffitt, the owner of DollarSeed.com. First let me dispel some myths. No, we are not from Ohio, though we do have many friends there that post about us on their family friendly blogs. We are located in a little town called Cortland which is located in Central New York. No, we are not a brand "New" company. Though we did just start in fall of 2010 with just 16 varieties, and now have over 150 and growing. Our new store was in answer to the many problems we faced using zencart as our original one.
Mom and Pop, I wish. This is a one man show. Momma don't want nothing to do with it. Though I do have a few helping family members for when things start to go crazy. Unlike the large seed houses you are used to dealing with, we do everything manually here. However, the seeds are never touched by the human hand until you plant them.

Most larger seed houses also do an end of year clearance sale to move the older seeds. Though that is not always the case as I have recently learned. Many hire people to open the packs, pour the seeds back into the bins, and then repackage them for the next year. To me, that is a no-no, regardless of your reasons for doing it. If they are packaged for say 2011, and the end of season is upon us (August), any prepackaged seeds go to Outreach Programs that teach school aged children sustainable gardening methods. The rest is used to help promote feeding the needy all over the US.
My way of doing business may be a bit of a financial burden, but you won't get fresher seeds packaged with so much personal attention and care as you will get from me. If you see that the Live Chat on the site is Online, you won't be talking to just anyone, you will be talking to me, the owner, and your personal customer care representative.

Unfortunately for BakoB, for some reason he had a problem using his Blue American Express card on the site, but PayPal has assured me that this is an accepted form of payment as are most others. So much so, they sent me a new graphic showing the Blue American Express on it.

So in answer to all above: Yup, we're fairly new, we have great seed counts, awesome reviews, ship low cost and quick, and handle every order with the utmost care. Have any more questions for DollarSeed? Check to see if I am Online and use our Live Chat feature to talk to me personally http://tiny.cc/pa01e

All of our seeds are guaranteed non-GMO, Organic and Heirloom and a few disease resistant Hybrids.
What could be healthier?

You can also follow me on twitter @DollarSeed and Like me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dollar...06693429398646 to keep up with all sales and additions
vegetal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #7
DollarSeed
Tomatovillian™

Default Sending seeds outside of the US

Sorry but we can only ship to the US and Canada, and may soon be dropping Canadian sales soon due to the extra high cost of shipping Internationally through the USPS.

Dave
Old March 10, 2012   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Great venture, David, and many thanks for telling us more about you. I will definitely be a customer. Best, Scott
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Dave. You are only about 60 miles from me. I'm about 25 miles east of Syracuse.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #10
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Best of luck with this! You have some nice basic selections with very good prices.

While you don't seem to have a huge variety, I don't think I've seen any seed kits as inexpensive as yours with such a nice balance of seed. The herb kit was especially nice, with most of the herbs I would grow each year.

I'll certainly keep you in mind.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #11
DollarSeed
Tomatovillian™

I am now up to 164 varieties as of this posting. Unfortunately, the programmer hired to develop the store at http://dollarseed.com is not doing well at communicating and updating that store. This has resulted in all new varieties and kits being only available at my original store located at http://www55.instantestore.net/merch...20/default.cfm
Old July 8, 2013   #12
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Welcome DollarSeed. You're just a few miles west of me. I'll definitely check out your website. I always support local businesses and will do the same with your business. I especially like what you do with your outdated seeds. Good work.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #13
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i hope you have success in your business.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote