Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2012   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default What are the best moments in tomato-dom?

I got a late start on my garden seeds. After getting back from a trip last week, I got busy at the potting bench and seeded my brassica, pepper, and tomato seeds. My DH built a temperature-controlled incubator a few years ago for "hatching" seedlings, so into the incubator box they went.

One of my very favorite moments in tomatoes is opening up the incubator door and seeing new sprouts peeking up above the potting soil. Maybe I'm strange, but I get such a kick out of seeing those seedlings pop up. It's a thrill every time!

From the incubator they go under fluorescent lights.

That first tomato of the season is always a treat, too. I ritually cut the tomato in half and share it with my DH. Since the first ripe tomato is often a cherry, it's only a token taste, but, still, it's a fresh grown tomato! (Well, okay, maybe once or twice I've scarfed down the first ripe tomato right there on the spot. What happens in the garden stays in the garden.)

What are your best moments in tomato-dom?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

New sprouts, new flowers, seeing pollen stream when "buzzing" flowers, new fruits, breaking fruits, harvesting/eating first fruits of each variety, harvesting/eating all fruits of favorite varieties, having Sungold provide fresh snacks every day while in the garden...
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

During the germination sprouting stage I think I check on my new seedlings like once/hour. It's an obsession. I get so excited when the first blooms form, and when the abundant harvest month comes, because I can give some away. That's what brings the most fun, seeing their faces light up with joy at the prospect of a home grown tomato.
Aw Gee, I just plain love it all
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Watching them germinate....seeding the true leaves form (the first purity/expectation check)....then transplanting. After that, it is picking and eating!
Old April 2, 2012   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I think germination is my best time in tomato-dom. I’m always concerned about the viability of my seed no matter how 'new' they are. I don’t know why since I’ve always had good results but I still worry.
Of course eating the final product is great.
Old April 2, 2012   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Best moments in seasonal order...

Germination. Especially 100% germination!
Pot up...
Plants that it you just potted up seemingly jumping in a week or two and are ready to start hardening off...
Seeing trays of young happy plants glistening in the sun as they wait for new digs...
Planting out...
The first truly ripe tomato of the season...
Watching your extra tomatoes dissapear from the lunchroom table...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Ah, yes, watching the extra tomatoes disappear when you bring them into work.

I always typed up a little description of the variety. Most people didn't care (actually, they were probably more amused than disinterested), but a few did take notice--I got the variety Toedebusch Pink from a colleague who knew I was a tomato afficionado.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #8
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I love when the leaves get large enough that I get that "tomato leaf smell" when I brush my hand over the seedlings...mmm...smells like summer.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

First BLT
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #10
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Germination, first flowers, first fruit. Those are always exciting.

This year, with so many new varieties, I'm also really getting a kick out of seeing all of the first true leaves and how they begin to gain their own unique look. The tomatoes are fun, but I love my tiny little Red Russian Kale. Adorable!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #11
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

From first flower to first tiny bud of fruit is my biggest thrill. I love watching it start out pinky fingernail size then develop into a beautiful, ripe tomato - and I check that first fruit almost daily as the show progresses.
Old April 2, 2012   #12
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
First BLT

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Best moments?

When the taste buds send that first message to the brain.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #14
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

my greatest moments start with the dreaming of which varieties i will be growing the following year and that entusiasm increases when i recieve my first catalogs the next level is ordering the new varieties and just when i think i over did it i order 20 more varieties.. then theres now when they are seedlings and im still sowin the bulk of my seeds.. watching the plants grow harvesting the first ones and selling at market but the climax of my happiest tomato moments happens when i meet my folks half way about 150 miles with a fully loaded car of all shapes and colors and size tomatoes and transfer them to my folks car so they can enjoy them and also my dad makes sauce from them... hes 84 years old and quite ill for the last 5 years so each year i meet them it makes my whole tomato experience exceptionally joyous
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
and 2nd would be the first BLT with some fresh peas or butter beans.:yes ::yes :
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote