Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2012   #1
Duets
Tomatovillian™

Default Online Tomato Books, do they really work

Re: Tomatoes

Has anyone tried the numerous online tomato growing miracle books online....just wondering if anyone has ever tried them, do they really work, if so...any recommends??

Last edited by Duets; April 3, 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: punctuation
Duets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

This is free:
http://www.settfest.com/growing-tips/

and the advice is worth every penny.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #3
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
This is free:

Not the best sales pitch I have heard.
Old April 3, 2012   #4
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

"Online Tomato Books, do they really work"

Personally, I have found them to be quite lazy, hard to get any work out of them at all. Best to just do it yourself.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I tried one. The authors secret revolations were; grow plants in a greenhouse, use cow manure and strip all the leaves off the plant except the top 4. I promptly requested and received a refund. When he asked why I was requesting a refund I said growing tomatoes in a greenhouse and feeding them cow crap is no secret and taking all the leaves off the plant except for a few on top of the plant was just plain stupid. Ami
Old April 4, 2012   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Quote:
This is free:

Not the best sales pitch I have heard.
I know. Well, we spent a bit of time writing those articles so hopefully you will find some benefit to it. Even though it's written for S.E. Texas a lot of it is applicable anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I tried one. The authors secret revolations were; grow plants in a greenhouse, use cow manure and strip all the leaves off the plant except the top 4. I promptly requested and received a refund. When he asked why I was requesting a refund I said growing tomatoes in a greenhouse and feeding them cow crap is no secret and taking all the leaves off the plant except for a few on top of the plant was just plain stupid. Ami
Ah yes heard about that one. What a joke. Course we know the secret to your tomato success... radio waves.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #7
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Ah yes heard about that one. What a joke. Course we know the secret to your tomato success... radio waves.
I knew it Ami is really an alien and his spaceship generates nanotech that builds the plants up atom by atom
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
totally worn out, shouting ‘...Holy Crap .....What a ride!'
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #9
Duets
Tomatovillian™

Thank you All, LOL- Ya'll are too funny!! I'm enjoying your responses, keep 'em coming. I found a few online that were sort of tempting to buy.... but there's also alot to read out there, that has no charge whatsoever. Think I'll stick with the freebies, & use the monies to buy more mater plants, lol!!
Old April 4, 2012   #10
Duets
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This is free:

Thank you... I put it in favs & will read.
Old April 4, 2012   #11
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duets View Post
Re: Tomatoes

Has anyone tried the numerous online tomato growing miracle books online....just wondering if anyone has ever tried them, do they really work, if so...any recommends??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duets View Post
Thank you All, LOL- Ya'll are too funny!! I'm enjoying your responses, keep 'em coming. ...
The secret is that you need to grow them under a bridge. Now if you need a bridge I have an extra in Brooklyn. I can let you have it real reasonable...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #12
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I haven't told anyone my secret yet, but here it is, just for you guys. It is called.......

Atomic Grow!
Old April 4, 2012   #13
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

OK, I got out my two "big tomato" books. First is How to Grow World Record Tomatoes - Charles H. Wilber, and the second, Giant Tomatoes - Marvin H. Meisner.

Here is the condensed version.

Wilber says make good compost. He makes his from Kudzu. Start your tomatoes with bales of hay surrounding them. Let the hay rot down through the season. He likes green manure like Vetch and Rye in the off season. He uses cages, really really big really really tall cages,, like the one for his 27 and 28 foot tomatoes, respectively. He stresses sanitation. Took him a few years to get his soil just right and rotates crops.

Meisner likes stakes and cages, hay mulch as well and good compost. Likes seaweed fertilizer and stress constant moisture.

Both books make a somewhat entertaining read. if you like tomato gardeners, that is.

I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of the above info. I read both books a few years ago, although I did just skim through them for about 30 seconds each.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #14
Duets
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
The secret is that you need to grow them under a bridge. Now if you need a bridge I have an extra in Brooklyn. I can let you have it real reasonable...
LOL- o-kay, is it located in the West or Eastern side of Brooklyn?
Old April 5, 2012   #15
Duets
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
OK, I got out my two "big tomato" books. First is How to Grow World Record Tomatoes - Charles H. Wilber, and the second, Giant Tomatoes - Marvin H. Meisner.

Here is the condensed version.

Wilber says make good compost. He makes his from Kudzu. Start your tomatoes with bales of hay surrounding them. Let the hay rot down through the season. He likes green manure like Vetch and Rye in the off season. He uses cages, really really big really really tall cages,, like the one for his 27 and 28 foot tomatoes, respectively. He stresses sanitation. Took him a few years to get his soil just right and rotates crops.

Meisner likes stakes and cages, hay mulch as well and good compost. Likes seaweed fertilizer and stress constant moisture.

Both books make a somewhat entertaining read. if you like tomato gardeners, that is.

I accept no responsibility for the accuracy of the above info. I read both books a few years ago, although I did just skim through them for about 30 seconds each.
Different strokes for different folks! The more I read, the more I realize, oh shoot...I didn't add this or didn't add that, lol. Before long, I will need another container just to add the tomato plant in ....after all the additives, I will have little room for the actual plant.