Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2012   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Urea Formaldehyde in Potting Mix

One of the fertilizers in Majestic Earth potting mix (with the water crystals) is urea formaldehyde. I was told by a chemist the formaldehyde would probably bind with the urea but I'm still a little sketchy using it to pot up my toms. If anyone can post any research on this use of formaldehyde on vegetables or if we have any chemists in our midsts I would appreciate it. Thank you.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Urea formaldehyde is a resin that is made by reacting Urea with formaldehyde. It is used as a slow release fertilizer. It is also used in a whole hoard of building products such as particle board as a binder and glue. How much unreacted formaldehyde is in it will depend on the quality control of the manufacture. It's not new technology and I think building material standards would be tight enough to pretty much eliminate formaldehyde in the fertilizer. What it does when it breaks down I don't know. Any other plus or minus discuss will parallel organic, non-organic discussions.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote