Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 17, 2012   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Not Corno di Toro

I'm so disappointed after months of growing what I thought was the pepper I wanted most to find out it is a bell pepper! I purchased seed from a vendor for Corno Di Toro, and what is now growing is definately a bell pepper. I don't even have any bell pepper seeds!

Who are the reliable vendors for pepper seeds? I know a mixup can happen with anyone, but I'd rather get the next round where I know they focus on pepper seeds.
Old July 17, 2012   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

tomato growers supply would be my choice but any place can mix things up. you could post here.

i am growing cdt red and it looks to be correct based on shape and size. the seeds came from someone here at tv that also sent me giant marconi, red and yellow of both varieties. i'm not sure i can tell the difference if they were mixed up cdt red vs gm red, i did not plant any yellow seeds.

i will save seeds if all goes well. if you ask for seeds in sept/oct i'll send some assuming all goes well.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Remy has both the red and yellow Corno di Toro at The Sample Seed Shop
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I got the red and yellow from Tomato Growers supply a few years ago and they were what they said the were.

Every seed I have ever purchased from them always came true.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Corno Di Krapi

I am growing this one i got the seed 2 years ago, thought i might try it anyway. Very slow growing even with the very hot dry days. No flowers yet on these either
Corno Di Krapi
Fatila
Red Caribbean
Scorpion
Red and Yellow Bhut
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

thanks guys! I am going to miss those grilled peppers this year though, what a bummer!

I can buy bell peppers everywhere here so I'd never grow my own given my space restrictions, but who knows....maybe these will be super delicious lol!
Old July 17, 2012   #7
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I think I have some if you want me to dig them out. I have grown them every year for the last 3 years but can not seem to get much production out of them.
Old July 17, 2012   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Sorry your peppers turned to be the wrong type. I've never grown that variety, but last year I tried the Franchi Rosso Dolce which had incredibly low production. I went with the di Appendere peppers from Seeds of Italy this year, and they are really putting out peppers. Some are already full size and I'm just waiting for them to turn red as I hope to dry them.

If you purchased your seeds from a vendor, I hope you let them know about getting the wrong type.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2012   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I just emailed the vendor to let her know that these are not Corno Di Toro. I had some very poor germination (actually 1 out of 10 seeds sown) from her tomatoes too, so it's a bit disappointing. No, it isn't Tania or Remy!
Old July 18, 2012   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I got some "Corno di Toro Rosso" from an individual who said they got their seeds from RareSeeds. Well, I grew them out and the shape and color were perfect. However, when I tasted them, thinking I had another sweet roasting or frying pepper, I spent about an hour waiting for my tongue and mouth to settle down from the blast of heat.

I challenged the guy I traded with and he finally admitted that the peppers were a little bit hot, but that he didn't think they were "that" hot.

I knew they weren't Corno di Toro Rosso, so I put together the name they were "supposed" to be with what I said when I tasted it and then cleaned it up a bit and ended up calling it "CORNO DI HOLY KRAP".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #11
jacksson
Tomatovillian™

I got my Corno Toro di Giallo from Terroir Seeds and am waiting for the results. They are listed as Pepper, Sweet 75-100 days, Italian Heirloom with 8-10" long curved, tapered fruit shaped like a bulls' horn with thin skin and thick walls. Can be harvested at green or yellow stage.

I heard about the Italian Bull's Horn Pepper on a "Dance in the Sunshine" utube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akc5F...3&feature=plcp and thought that I would try it; it is supposed to be a very prolific producer.

I fact, I have six seeds in the ground right now, waiting, waiting, waiting. lol

Last edited by jacksson; July 25, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
jacksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #12
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Well, it's even more disappointing to see that 5 days have passed with no response at all from the vendor. sheesh. bummer.
Old July 24, 2012   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Thats too bad. No doubt, lesson learned with the supplier.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012   #14
longdaysfarm
Tomatovillian™

I think this can happen even with reliable vendors. For two years in a row my Golden Marconi from Tomato Growers Supply have been golden bells. Very nice golden bells, I wish I knew what they were. They did a lot more than the Golden Calwonder growing nearby. I spoke with Linda at TGSC. She was very apologetic and said they'd be looking for a new source. I'm still looking for a good golden Italian pepper since Golden Marconi wasn't that vigorous for me, even when I did have the correct seed. I wasn't that impressed with Golden Treasure from Seed Savers. Corni de Toros don't ripen for me. I'm going to try Gatherer's Gold from Wild Garden Seeds, but they have a completely different climate, so who knows how they will do.

Better luck in 2013!
longdaysfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2012   #15
jacksson
Tomatovillian™

I planted Corno Toro di Giallo peppers a little late in the season and some beautiful plants came up which turned out to be tomatillos. The peppers never did show, I will try again in the spring.
jacksson is offline   Reply With Quote