Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 19, 2012   #1
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Pepper/Tea for beverage

Tried black to grow black peppercorn never had any luck.Really want to try tea plants.Anybody with any experience for both of these staples?Wife and I enjoy the fresh ground varietys of pepper on foods.Peppercorns can get costly.Designer teas are not that inexpensive either.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown black peppercorn. I have had a Camelia sinensis plant which is where all teas come from(black, green, white, oolong, etc). The leaves have to go through a sweating/fermenting process depending on the type of tea desired. I never got that far as we were moving and I gave my plant away. More info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Did some googling got general info just wanted to know the growing methods,seed starting?plant buying,etc.Thanx for reply and info.
Old July 21, 2012   #4
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I originally purchased a 1 gallon plant from Nichol's Garden Nursery way back when for $25. I don't know how large the plant is in the link, but the cost is a little less. It's also a different cultivar. I kept mine in the gallon pot waiting to find a spot for it. It overwintered in zone7 just fine. The following season we had to move so it never got into the ground. I don't know if my friend ever put it in the ground or just into a larger pot but she still has it.

https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com...p?pid1005.html
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Noinwi,Thanx for site.Logees has some also.
Old July 22, 2012   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

It's so funny to look at the tea plants because I have a camellia plant that looks almost exactly like them as far as the foliage goes. However, I'm pretty sure that it isn't the right kind for tea and the flowers are deep pink.

Makes me want to go out in the spring and clip a few leaves, though, just to see if they taste good if you brew them!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #7
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Kurt

Here is a tea but not one to drink all day long everday. It is a good one for once a day and it is very inexpensive.....

http://bambooleaftea.net/

I'm sure you will be able to find plants for this one down your way.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Will try to find out what kind of bamboo it comes from.As you know from earlier posts had my "dance "with bamboo and am still shell shocked by the experience.Thanx Kurt
Old July 24, 2012   #9
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Almost all of the bamboo leaves you can use for tea. I have several here that I use in my soaps and lotions. I'll go look them up to find out that type and report back to ya.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 24, 2012   #10
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Bless your heart for inquiring but if it has no caffeine probaly won't try it.
Old July 24, 2012   #11
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Yes bamboo DOESN'T have caffeine. Are you looking for caffeine?

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 24, 2012   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

The wife loves tea and we thought growing it would be different.We did find some plants from a company from up north(Logees) and found some pepper plants here in Florida(Botanical Growers).Thanx again
Old July 28, 2012   #13
mrs_dlight
Tomatovillian™

I don't know a whole lot about tomatoes but I do know quite a bit about tea. Tea plants take a very very long time to harvest around 5 + years. They can be difficult to grow sometimes. They don't grow well if it is too hot ,sunny or even too cold. They often need to be shaded and taste better with a bit of shade. Just like tomatoes soil and light effect the taste.Very best flavor is found in the first 2 leafs and buds. Then processing the tea is a whole other story. Most types of teas green, black, white and pu erh come from the very same tree. They are just prepossessed differently. I would read up on some tea books like the tea companion if you don't know a lot about type ect. .. and figure out what way you like it processed.

I have been growing tea plants as a novelty since high school. I never grew and processed anything better than what I could buy from a good tea garden or a name brand like reishi...but way better than some of that junk tea in some bags. Tea growing is honestly an art few people appreciate or know. Without a teacher it can be difficult to do but not impossible. I would encourage you to try with a few plants and see what happens but don't expect out of this world tea (honestly it will taste really bad the first few times like roasting your own coffee) I end up buying most of my tea in bulk for about $1 per oz at an Asian food store and mixing in my own fancy pants flavors.

hope this helps
mrs_dlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2012   #14
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Thanx for the reply,any info/experience on propagtion,cutting,cloning.Wish to grow for me and maybe some present plants.