Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2013   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default Yout thoughts on these cherry/plum types, need help choosing

I would love some feedback on a few types of cherry and plum tomatoes. I will be growing them in 7gal. containers.
Please help me choose 4-5 to try. Pros and Cons would be appreciated.
I have these to pick from:

Black plum
Gold cherry
Juliet
Wild cherry
Green grape
Pink ping pong
Chocolate cherry
Black cherry

Any info on others not listed would be great too, so I can add them to my looking for list.
Thanks so much
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
I would love some feedback on a few types of cherry and plum tomatoes. I will be growing them in 7gal. containers.
Please help me choose 4-5 to try. Pros and Cons would be appreciated.
I have these to pick from:

Black plum
Gold cherry
Juliet
Wild cherry
Green grape
Pink ping pong
Chocolate cherry
Black cherry

Any info on others not listed would be great too, so I can add them to my looking for list.
Thanks so much
I can only comment on a couple.
Juliet is a trouper plant in my garden - it grows vigorously and produces copiously no matter what blights and molds infect its neighbors. The fruit is a bit larger than most cherries, and is not the sweetest, but they make great chopped tomatoes for pico de gallo, or salsa, if you chop, salt, and let drain for a few minutes.
Green grape I found to be a nice, sweet, green tomato - it's going back in my garden this year. Nice for tasty color variety in a bowl of snackers.
Black Cherry took me a little while to warm up to, until I found I was picking them a bit under ripe - they need to be dead ripe to have much flavor, but then, Oh my! And productive! I had a couple of plants in my greenhouse, and they grew (and kept producing) until they were well over 17' long, (I strung them horizontally after they hit 7'high from side-to-side in the GH) almost to the end of October (zone 4/3 border!) And they dehydrate fantastically, if you can get extras.
But that's all from your list I have any experience with.
Shawn

Last edited by FarmerShawn; April 8, 2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling oops
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #3
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the input Shawn. This is my first time growing anything and it's a great help to hear from folks about the different kinds of tomatoes that they have experiance with. I've read about them all but it doesn't tell everything about them. I will try the Juliet and Green grape. I haven't had any luck with the black cherry germinating, they were from a trade. Maybe I should get some fresh seeds and try again. Thanks again for the info!
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #4
charley
Tomatovillian™

i can only give you input on 2.the black cherry is one of my favorite for flavor and its prolific.the black plum is so so in flavor but you get enough to feed a army.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote