Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 26, 2015   #1
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Default black crucifix virus

my extention service in jacksonville florida identified the reason that one tomato plant was stunted and had curled leaves and purple veins.

They reported that it is the deadly black crucifix virus.

This usually is a cabbage issue but given the proximity the best they could say is that it was insect borne-even though there are no insects visable in my 1250 sq ft garden. Voulenteers from my neiborhood assisted me in checking all of the leaves of ALL of my plants and did not come up with any insects in 3 hours!

they said to pull the plant immediatly and bag the plant put it in the trash, my other tomatoes are not effected. any body had this experiance?
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden381 View Post
my extention service in jacksonville florida identified the reason that one tomato plant was stunted and had curled leaves and purple veins.

They reported that it is the deadly black crucifix virus.

This usually is a cabbage issue but given the proximity the best they could say is that it was insect borne-even though there are no insects visable in my 1250 sq ft garden. Voulenteers from my neiborhood assisted me in checking all of the leaves of ALL of my plants and did not come up with any insects in 3 hours!

they said to pull the plant immediatly and bag the plant put it in the trash, my other tomatoes are not effected. any body had this experiance?
Not sure if I had that experience, but I did hav a plant turn purple and die and it was in March last year, so not purple from cold. Thanks for posting this, I am going to research it now.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Did they have a specific name for the virus I cant find anything on it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Did they have a specific name for the virus I cant find anything on it.

Worth
I can't either.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Me either. Now there is a Tomato Black Ring Neopvirus and evn if you google Black Crucifix for cabbage it pulls up Black Ring Virus.

Wondering if they gave you the right name. Can you take some pics. You have a bunch of expert tomato folks here that can generally take a good look at pics and tell you your problem right off.

It may be just from the cold and wet we have had plus your plants needing some minerals or something.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Me either. Now there is a Tomato Black Ring Neopvirus and evn if you google Black Crucifix for cabbage it pulls up Black Ring Virus.

Wondering if they gave you the right name. Can you take some pics. You have a bunch of expert tomato folks here that can generally take a good look at pics and tell you your problem right off.

It may be just from the cold and wet we have had plus your plants needing some minerals or something.

Make me wonder if they even know what they are talking about.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Black Ring virus is about the only thing they could have meant? - maybe they meant to say "crucifers" instead of "crucifix" because that virus (or specific strains of it) can infect crops in that family (cabbage for example) as well as many other plants.
But their information about transmission is also garbled, at least according to the wiki it is spread by nematodes in the soil, not by insects. It is also spread by seed, easily they say - but wouldn't spread plant to plant unless you have nematodes in the soil in your area. It's soil-borne and seed-borne, afaict. They say common in Europe, not North America, so perhaps your plant pathologists hadn't much experience with it.

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index...ack_ring_virus

"Infected weed and crop plants may show few or no symptoms especially in the year of infection or when infection occurs through the seed. Nevertheless, plant growth in such plants may be impaired."

I guess if one plant has curled and purple leaves while all the others are fine, it makes sense that cold or other stresses don't explain it... unless there was some local contaminant just in that spot and affecting only the one plant (thinking metals or pH, that might impair P uptake?) . If there are nematodes in your area that could spread such a virus, it is probably best to follow the advice and don't take any chances. Better lose one than more.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #8
garden381
Tomatovillian™

mine was not purple from cold either
Old April 26, 2015   #9
garden381
Tomatovillian™

hi all, here is the exact e-mail that was returned to me by the extention here in town.
======================
omato and c abbage
Inbox
x

Gardener2, Master <MGARDEN2@coj.net>
Apr 23 (3 days ago)

to me
MR. Pivola,

Our research indicated that the cabbage, based on the photos you sent, you have a bacterial infection called black rot of crucifers. This infection is untreatable, We suggest that you harvest them ASAP (they are still good to eat) and remove All the leaves to prevent the bacteria from getting into the soil. Rotate another crop in that area (no cabbage) next planting season.

Also, the tomato plant has a viral infection (tomato spotted wilt virus or tomato leaf curl virus) that is also incurable, the infected plants should be removed. Look for a viral resistant cultivar of tomato for your next planting.

Sorry for the bad news… and good luck on your garden

Walter Hill
Master gardener
Connect with Mayor Brown and the City of Jacksonville!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Flickr Blog Google

For general information, contact 630-CITY (2489).

View our calendar, sign up for newsletters or learn about volunteer opportunities.

*** Please note that under Florida's very broad public records law, email communications to and from city officials are subject to public disclosure. ***
Old April 26, 2015   #10
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Okay everyone, the batrium in question is for my cabbage. SORRY for the confusion.
Old April 26, 2015   #11
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Old April 26, 2015   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

well... it's bad luck to lose your cabbages to bacteria and tomatoes to a virus..
but WOW are you lucky to have people to diagnose it for you!!
You could do a lot worse.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #13
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Black Crucifix Virus- Sounds like a B grade horror film! LOL
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post