Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 29, 2015   #1
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

Default Preferred type of nitrogen in containers

Hi all,

So, I've been searching for some clarity on the type of nitrogen that is best for containers. Is ammonia-based better than urea-based?

What I think I understand is that urea-based fertilizers, coated or otherwise, require biological intervention to break down into usable nitrogen - meaning bacterial urease is required. I've come across some opinion though, and possibly fact, that enough bacteria is present in potting mixes to perform this function making the urea-based fertilizer fine to use.

Ammonia-based nitrogen though is ready to eat. So, no intervention is not required to make the nitrogen root-ready. But, is that necessarily better?

Again, this is what I think I know. But I'm not confident I know what I think. I'm asking to see if this is accurate and if anyone has experience, old links to similar discussions etc.

Thanks,

Tim
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Calcium nitrate is popular for in-ground growing. I have used it on container plants. But I can't tell you how it compares to other N sources.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Be very careful with the thoughts of freelancing with specific nutrients. For beginner and intermediate growers...it is wise to use a well-balanced fertilizer that is NOT too high in nitrogen.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I made myself crazy a few years ago over micobes in containers. My brother has a book out on growing organically in 4 gallon containers. I have never had an interest in growing his crop, although apparently legal and up and coming. Anyway, He is up north where its cooler and I live in the inferno which is Southern CA inland. Micro colonies are certainly subject to die off in heat. So, for me, 100+ temps and containers = dead micro herds and nutrient deficient tomatoes. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and I decided I wanted to know that they has usable ferts at all times.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timomac View Post
Hi all,

So, I've been searching for some clarity on the type of nitrogen that is best for containers. Is ammonia-based better than urea-based?

What I think I understand is that urea-based fertilizers, coated or otherwise, require biological intervention to break down into usable nitrogen - meaning bacterial urease is required. I've come across some opinion though, and possibly fact, that enough bacteria is present in potting mixes to perform this function making the urea-based fertilizer fine to use.

Ammonia-based nitrogen though is ready to eat. So, no intervention is not required to make the nitrogen root-ready. But, is that necessarily better?

Again, this is what I think I know. But I'm not confident I know what I think. I'm asking to see if this is accurate and if anyone has experience, old links to similar discussions etc.

Thanks,

Tim
I thought that ammonium based fertilizers also need biological activity to convert to Nitrate ion for the plants.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I made myself crazy a few years ago over micobes in containers. My brother has a book out on growing organically in 4 gallon containers. I have never had an interest in growing his crop, although apparently legal and up and coming. Anyway, He is up north where its cooler and I live in the inferno which is Southern CA inland. Micro colonies are certainly subject to die off in heat. So, for me, 100+ temps and containers = dead micro herds and nutrient deficient tomatoes. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and I decided I wanted to know that they has usable ferts at all times.
Bacteria can remain active at very high temperatures. even up to 140°F or a bit higher for some species. It takes a lot more heat than that to kill them. I hope your container soil isn't anywhere near that high.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Some days it feels like it's 140 hahaha. Maybe they just die off to spite me?
Old April 29, 2015   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I thought that ammonium based fertilizers also need biological activity to convert to Nitrate ion for the plants.
Nitrates are not the only plant usable form of N. Plants can take in both forms or inorganic N and organic N too. (Amino Acids)
Old April 30, 2015   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Live soil ecologies have the buffer ability to convert NH4 (ammonium form) to NO3 (Nitrate form) in the nitrogen cycle. In soiless or hydroponic culture this is why nitrogen has to be given in the NO3 (Nitrate form) ie Calcium or potassium Nitrate which are readily available to the plant.

When growing in containers it is always best to inoculate your plants and substrate with myco's and beneficial bacteria on plant out. This well help establish the microbial herd and assure nutrient availability to the plant whether it be organic or inorganic.

Ami
Old April 30, 2015   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Live soil ecologies have the buffer ability to convert NH4 (ammonium form) to NO3 (Nitrate form) in the nitrogen cycle. In soiless or hydroponic culture this is why nitrogen has to be given in the NO3 (Nitrate form) ie Calcium or potassium Nitrate which are readily available to the plant.

When growing in containers it is always best to inoculate your plants and substrate with myco's and beneficial bacteria on plant out. This well help establish the microbial herd and assure nutrient availability to the plant whether it be organic or inorganic.

Ami
Makes sense and timely as I am planning to grow a few container tomatoes this year. If compost/manure is added to the mix would you still need to inoculate it? Or would the microbes present multiply on there own? And if I did need to inoculate what is the recommended product?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I grow in Earthboxes and love Calcium Nitrate, I add it weekly! My organic brother would be mortified......
Old April 30, 2015   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If compost/manure is added to the mix would you still need to inoculate it? Or would the microbes present multiply on there own? And if I did need to inoculate what is the recommended product?
I use a preplant dip consisting of Mycogrow Soluable, Actinovate And BiotaMax. Dip the seedling pot in the dip, remove and let it drain back into the dip solution bucket, remove the seedling from the pot and plant. If your seedlings are in CowPots which I use or another brand of biodegradeable pot you just plant the pot after the dip.

I have no idea of the type or amount of microbes that are present in the substrate I'm planting in whether it be a container or growing bed, but I can rest assured that I know what I am adding to the mix.

Ami
Old April 30, 2015   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I grow in Earthboxes and love Calcium Nitrate, I add it weekly! My organic brother would be mortified......
Nothing wrong with giving your Earthboxes a weekly snack.

Ami
Old April 30, 2015   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Elaine Ingham discusses the different forms of nitrogen
Old May 1, 2015   #15
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I concur with Ray, even if you killed them. most are spore forming and the spores will refill the container with bacteria once watered. Some bacteria can produce 1 million generations in 24 hours. I grew many a culture for work as a med tech.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote