Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 10, 2015   #1
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Default productivity of certain varieties

I know it is not uber popular varieties but someone somewhere might have grown it so am looking for info on productivity of following tomatoes
Yaponets
Strawberry Margarita
Hartsack purple
Daniels
Lumpy Faux as in strain of Lumpy Red
McKinley
Marge Polish Pride
Aunt Swarlo Polish Plum
Grosse De Perthius
Pleine De Chair
Mendigorria
Cruise
Seek no future Love Apple
Mawlenove

I know from Tania descriptions that all those are very worthy by taste. Would love to know if anyone has noted productivity on any of those varieties
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Lindalana,

What is your gauge for "productivity" ?
I consider 15 lbs or more per plant VGProductive. 6 to 12Lbs GProductive (OK). Under 5 lbs is nothing to write home about. JMO

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Productivity will vary substantially from year to year and for reasons other than weather and pest pressures.

For example, I have had Brandywine, rumored to be very stingy producers, produce 36 or more tomatoes per vine one year, and less than 12 the next. from the same seed pack.

And one of your examples, Daniels, load up so heavy they toppled down wooden stakes one year, but when grown in cages the next year, from the same seed, in the same garden spaces, did not produce more than a dozen tomatoes per vine.

Some varieties like warm, dry weather with minimal irrigation. Some varieties do better in moist soil. Some varieties demand high nitrogen at certain times in their development. Other varieties will abort flowers when given modest amounts of additional nitrogen.

Asking for generalized assessments of anticipated production without considering climate, soil types, fertilizer and irrigation regimens, peak heat or cold during your specific season, whether and how you introduce fertilizer during the sprout to transplant phase, when you actually plant out, how you prune or don't prune, etc., may be asking for disappointments.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #4
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Growing Daniels for the first time this FL season. I grew McKinley ( yellow tomato) last season. Large 1lb tomatoes about 10 to 15 lbs per plant. Not outstanding taste but great for salsa and tomato sauce.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Productivity will vary substantially from year to year and for reasons other than weather and pest pressures.

For example, I have had Brandywine, rumored to be very stingy producers, produce 36 or more tomatoes per vine one year, and less than 12 the next. from the same seed pack.

And one of your examples, Daniels, load up so heavy they toppled down wooden stakes one year, but when grown in cages the next year, from the same seed, in the same garden spaces, did not produce more than a dozen tomatoes per vine.

Some varieties like warm, dry weather with minimal irrigation. Some varieties do better in moist soil. Some varieties demand high nitrogen at certain times in their development. Other varieties will abort flowers when given modest amounts of additional nitrogen.

Asking for generalized assessments of anticipated production without considering climate, soil types, fertilizer and irrigation regimens, peak heat or cold during your specific season, whether and how you introduce fertilizer during the sprout to transplant phase, when you actually plant out, how you prune or don't prune, etc., may be asking for disappointments.
First, I agree with Travis that there is absolutely no way that anyone can predict what will happen, just too many variables.

I cut and pasted your list, just for my reference.

Yaponets
Strawberry Margarita, nothing special IMO
Hartsack purple
Daniels
Lumpy Faux as in strain of Lumpy Red
McKinley, same as above for me
Marge Polish Pride
Aunt Swarlo Polish Plum
Grosse De Perthius
Pleine De Chair
Mendigorria
Cruise
Seek no future Love Apple
Mawlenove, I know this as

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...novyi_Charodei

Or one of the about 13 Malinovyi ones that Tania lists of which I've grown several.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ty_List&from=M

Most of them I've grown have been excellent as to taste and production.

But again, to be able to predict how any of them might perform, of the others on your list I just don't think is possble, again too many variables as to season grown, weather in that season, how grown, what amendments used, if so, how much and when, etc.

Carolyn
Old September 11, 2015   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

To answer- I do not weight or calculate yield from my plants, rather go by what load I like to see.
I agree, everyone will have different results depending on how they grow and weather etc but generalities are there- if overall plant is on stingy side genetically you would see it no matter what and then again, depends on how many people grow it of course.
Thank you for replies, it is helpful!
Old September 11, 2015   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
... if overall plant is on stingy side genetically you would see it no matter what and then again, depends on how many people grow it of course.
That's exactly why I used Brandywine as the example. It has a very stingy reputation, generally, and while I agree this reputation may be valid "genetically," the Brandywine I grew (pink color, potato leaf, off the packet rack in a feed store, distributed from a seed company in Columbus, Ohio, yielded over 36 large and jumbo size tomatoes per vine in 2006, a cool, relatively wet early summer, and dry and moderate late summer.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I understand that we cannot talk about tomato productivity like your car's mpg, but there are norms. Otherwise what is all the hoopla about this and that variety that we keep talking about all the time !!!
I don't weigh or count in strict terms either but make guesstimates that are pretty good for all intent and purposes. First I estimate the number of fruits. Then estimate the average fruit size.Put those 2 together I have a pretty good number. eg: I estimated that my Willamette will have about 100 tomatoes ( +/- 10%). average fruit size of 2 oz.>>> That is about 12.5 lbs ( +/- 10%). That fits into my " Good Producer" category.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #9
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
Mckinley listed by Tania is old KY heirloom and is pink? with excellent taste.
Hmm, I do have Malinovyi Charodei as different seed but who knows?
Old September 16, 2015   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Linda, I grew Marge's for the first time this year. I have been exceptionally happy with production, lots of large fat beefsteaks, and this has not been my best year production wise.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Grew Strawberry Margarita a few years back, and it was a winner. Taste was great and production was probably 7 on a scale of 10 - Not the best, but above the middle. I grew it in a bucket and the fruit was about 10-12 ozs, It's on my grow list for next year to get fresh seed.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote