Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2015   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default petit moineau

I am growing Petit Moineau for the first time and I was warned. I have only ONE plant, you can see it on the pic. It got 3 m long, 2 m wide and 2 m high. A huge bush full of delicious little red tomatoes! thousands of them! They have a rich sweet tomatoey taste and everybody likes them.

still growing and flowering like crazy and no disease at all. I watered once when planting and then about once a month in a VERY HOT summer ( 3 month with 30 to 40 celsius and no rain)
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #2
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Wow!!! That's good to know. It's on my grow list next year. I'm also growing the white version next year.

They look so good I'm definitely looking forward to the next growing season.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania lists it and also sells seeds for it and it's actually a variety from Canada, grown since the 1950's.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

I know of two other folks who have grown it and also like it. Tania says a currant type but I wonder if it's a true currant or just called that b'c it's the same size as most true currents.

I didn't know there was white version Charline. Where did that one come from and what is it called?

Miribelle Blanche I know and have grown but not a Petit, would that be Petit Blanche?

Good heavens, I just found out that I'm the one who got Mirabelle Blanche from Norbert in France back in 1992 and it looks like, or Tania says, a pink blush at the blossom end, cherry,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...abelle_Blanche

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old September 14, 2015   #4
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, my bad on this one. It's more a yellow type I think, but has "white" or "blanc" in its name.

Terry (tomatoaddict) who owns Secret Seed Cartel is selling the yellow/white version this year.

http://www.secret-seedcartel.com/shop-tomatoes.asp

What would a tomato like this be considered? A yellow or a white? It turns white before it turns yellow.
Old September 14, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
Sorry, my bad on this one. It's more a yellow type I think, but has "white" or "blanc" in its name.

Terry (tomatoaddict) who owns Secret Seed Cartel is selling the yellow/white version this year.

http://www.secret-seedcartel.com/shop-tomatoes.asp

What would a tomato like this be considered? A yellow or a white? It turns white before it turns yellow.
I know Terry very very well and she has been my translater when dealing with some websites in France since she is fluent in French. And she visits france at least once each year b'c she has a special friend there, and I look forward to her visits b'c then she brings me back some French chocolate and other goodies.

I wonder if she even knows that the original Petit Moineau is not French in origin. I'll e-mail her and ask.

Somethng seems amiss to me when she says not to eat the initial white ones, but to wait until they turn yellow. If that's the case then they should be called jaune as part of the name and not blanc.

I've grown several so called white cherries and all the ones that I've grown turn yellow and the final color is dependent on the degree of foliage cover, where grown geographically and the specific variety.

Getting a bit personal here but here's an excellent example of what Im talking about,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Dr._Carolyn

Listed everywhere as a white but ripens up yellow, and often even the earliest fruits are a shade of yellow as well.

Steve Draper and I had both purchased seeds for galina's Yellow, one of my fave cherries, when High Altitude seeds first brought it back from Siberia.

From saved seeds we both got plants with either red, pink, salmon and various shades of color. Steve asked me to send to him seeds for the best tasting one I had, so I did, and he named it Dr. Carolyn and SsE listed it without ever telling me he was going to do that. It has some taste genes in it from Galina's Yellow which allows for it to taste as great as it does.

Carolyn
Old September 15, 2015   #6
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

You just helped me add another 2 tomatoes to my grow list next year

Mirabelle Blanche and Dr Carolyn. Dr Carolyn seems really interesting and fun to grow.

I do wonder about Petit Moineau now. Either way, I'm really excited for the next growing season.

Sylvia
Old September 15, 2015   #7
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Charline, that is one beautiful tomato! The little PM tomatoes looks like they have little sparkles in them..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

This one is going on the "I want this" list!!! I am going to have to get another plot or two!!

But there is always the front yard to use....
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #9
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

They were brought to the Buffalo~Niagara Tomato TasteFest by Sorrelina, and they were a hit beauty wise. The plate full of them was so pretty. A lot of attendees asked for seeds.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote