Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 19, 2015   #1
UKgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Kenches Gold

I was told about this site by a member of another site I belong too. This was as a result of my taking greater interest in tomato growing, particularly in the past 2 years. What increased my interest was getting some unusual varieties of seeds from a local seed swap this year. By all accounts they have been collected by organic amateur growers, and I understand them to be hierlooms. I never met the individual growers unfortunately.

1 of the varieties in particular has sent me on a worldwide hunt (via internet) to try and find out more about it, and what astonished me was finding only 2 passing references to it. In spite of trying to contact both bloggers, I had no reply from either.

Today I have reposted on 1 of the blogs where a reference was made in 2009 having noticed they used this blog again a month ago: https://multiveg.wordpress.com/?s=kenches+gold.

The variety in question was given me as "Kenches Gold". It was incredibly slow growing, with a success rate of only 2 plants from 12 seeds. Because of it being so incredibly slow to reach fruit-bearing stage, I have only had 4 ripened fuits with 10 or more still not ripened! On the one hand I have been disappointed with just a handful of small/medium sized fruits, and no recognition of the variety by other tomato growers. On the other, I am very happy to have at least ended up with a result of stunningly beautiful bright yellow fruits which are sweet in taste.

Ideally I was hoping to find someone who could absolutely confirm they knew of the name, and presumably its alternative name, rather than simply making guesses and suggestions from photos.
UKgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015   #2
UKgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hooooray!!!!!! Finally a positive answer from the blogger I refer to above (previous post).

They replied stating " I can’t remember much about the tomato. I obtained it from the Heritage Seed Library/Garden Organic (they have a presence on Facebook, so perhaps you could ask there). Their catalogue described it as an Intermediate. Cordon. It was donated and named after the donor’s grandfather. It is thought to date back to at least 1901 [the donor] days, “A delicious, sweet-fruited variety” and another grower agrees it is “a star performer!”

Tomorrow (after a good night's sleep) I shall pursue this with HSL.
Old September 19, 2015   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Welcome UKgardener and I am so glad that you had a reply so quickly. It sounds like a lovely tomato. Save some seeds to pass around and keep it going.
Old September 20, 2015   #4
UKgardener
Tomatovillian™

FINALLY: I have photos of the Plant, fruit and seeds on the blog site which referred me to Tomatoville:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/t...-2#post-975005
Old September 20, 2015   #5
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you received a reply.

Looking forward to hearing more about it.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote