Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 22, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default PLs not doing so well

I've noticed over the past 12 months (3 growing seasons) that PL tomato varieties do not grow and produce very well for me. They wilt in heat - even when shaded. I'm thinking that PL varieties might do better in areas with less heat and sunshine?

Next spring, I'm only going to plant RL varieties because of the poor performance of PL varieties in my area over the fall 2014, spring 2015, and fall 2015 gardens.

(Trying to get interested in gardening again. There has been a lot of much more important things in RL)

I'm just wondering if there is something about PL varieties that doesn't like high heat and humidity?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Interesting observation, Robert.
I have a different observation with/on PL. But lets get the talk going about your hypothesis.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Well, as I look at where the two of you live...I am trying to think of two places that might have more dramatic differences in weather. As I have said a few times...those of you that are weather-challenged...must be much better gardeners than me.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
Well, as I look at where the two of you live...I am trying to think of two places that might have more dramatic differences in weather.
Right.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've noticed over the past 12 months (3 growing seasons) that PL tomato varieties do not grow and produce very well for me. They wilt in heat - even when shaded. I'm thinking that PL varieties might do better in areas with less heat and sunshine?

Next spring, I'm only going to plant RL varieties because of the poor performance of PL varieties in my area over the fall 2014, spring 2015, and fall 2015 gardens.

(Trying to get interested in gardening again. There has been a lot of much more important things in RL)

I'm just wondering if there is something about PL varieties that doesn't like high heat and humidity?
Robert, there are many folks in TX, offhand I can't tell you which gardening zones, but there are many, who grow and actually prefer PL varieties, as I do.

You mention only wilting and i don't know why, but can't you correct that by watering more often if there are no rains?

I'd be more concerned if it were primarily foliage diseases that were the issue and some have said they have more problems with PL's since they are more likely to get foliage diseases, but put up with it, and try to be more proactive in terms of spraying with a known effective anti-fungal if it's the two common fungal foliage pathogens, if bacterial, which are less common, there are still some sprays that might help.

And they put up with it b'c not just IMO, but many others as well, many of the best tasting varieties around are PL's.

Carolyn
Old September 22, 2015   #6
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

PL tomatoes almost always do better for me than RL. Because of my hot and humid climate almost any tomato will have some foliage issues to contend with but the PLs don't have any more than others.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #7
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

I agree with KayR. My PL tomato plants flourish as well as the RL tomato plants. I do see that the PL plants do not produce as much as regular leaf varieties. They are quite huge tomatoes but less of them than on RL plants.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
I agree with KayR. My PL tomato plants flourish as well as the RL tomato plants. I do see that the PL plants do not produce as much as regular leaf varieties. They are quite huge tomatoes but less of them than on RL plants.
That's what I see too, less tomatoes.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This past spring, we had way too much rain almost every day during May - mid June. I figured with all the rain, some plants would make it and others wouldn't. All of the pepper plants grew stunted and some tomato plants died. When pulling them, I noticed most of them were PL varieties. There was one PL that did produce well and is one of my favorites. Medovaya Kaplya.

I planted Medovaya Kaplya again for the fall garden. I think there will be some production. Most of the other PL varieties I planted are already gone from the fall garden. (BKX, Brandywine, Japanese Black Trifele, and Moravsky Div.)

In the pictures below, the first is of Moravsky Div. It is growing right beside the second and third pictures. Pics 2 and 3 are of Mischka which is twice as big and is producing in this heat.

I'll post this and then reply with the growing conditions/info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0020.JPG (79.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0021.JPG (74.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0022.JPG (74.6 KB, 103 views)
Old September 22, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The garden where these tomato plants are growing is watered using drip irrigation. It is in full sun even during the winter solstice. I provided shade cloth to protect them from the direct sunlight. As for temperature, it's Texas - it's hot. I've been using Garden Safe Fungicide 3.

What I have noticed with the PL varieties is that they grow more stunted and succumb to foliage problems.

I have noticed some odd things this year happening to the wild vegetation around the area. I think it has something to do with all the rain? We have a lot of oak and elm trees in this area, and many of those trees have huge grape vines growing on them. It usually looks nice, but this year, the grape vines look awful. They turned a splotchy white color with holes in the leaves.

I'm sure I left things/info out.
Old September 22, 2015   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

My experience is the opposite of those who say they have noticed that PL plants are less productive. The most prolific variety this year has been Black Seaman - loaded with fruit. I cannot even begin to imagine the fruitload if it was RL

That being said, some PL varieties have been stingy indeed - but I believe it is more a question of individual plants, conditions and many variables.

The same goes for disease resistance... Again, Black Seaman is still alive and well, whereas another PL (a greenie) has been disease-stricken and half-dead since the end of July
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Robert,

I think this is just a good example of the fact that what works and does well in one area or garden or in one year may not do as well in another. If you find RL plants do better for you then I'm sure that's what you'll mostly grow. Keep trying a few PL and you may find something that does well for you. Most of my Fav's are PL but certainly I garden in a very different climate. Regardless I am jealous of your double seasons
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My question is : Does the genetics has a role to play ?
From what I have heard PL is dominant when crossing with a RL variety. Does it mean something ?

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Robert,

I think this is just a good example of the fact that what works and does well in one area or garden or in one year may not do as well in another. If you find RL plants do better for you then I'm sure that's what you'll mostly grow. Keep trying a few PL and you may find something that does well for you. Most of my Fav's are PL but certainly I garden in a very different climate. Regardless I am jealous of your double seasons
KarenO
Karen, I agree. Your reply is what I've been thinking too. This has been an odd year in the general DFW area. All that rain was followed by the most consecutive days without rain on record. Also - All of the seeds I started that were PL came from swaps. I want to try a few from a seed vendor.
Old September 22, 2015   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
My question is : Does the genetics has a role to play ?
From what I have heard PL is dominant when crossing with a RL variety. Does it mean something ?

Gardeneer
Potato leaf is a recessive trait. if you breed a RL and a PL, the F1 will all be RL

If you grow out the F1, approximately 1/4 of the seedlings should show the PL gene.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote